Sword of the New World

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
Quick background (skip if you like cliffs)

So I played the beta and game went live in the US last week. Its orignally a Korean game that was brought over to the US by K2 but also has a version for Japan, China, Europe and other fun places.

I've played tons of MMO's from EQ, to DaOC all the way up to WoW. This game is Korean so its a little grindy feeling but very fun. It has a unique system that allows you to control 3 people at once, multiple classes to choose and unique players to join your party along the way. The graphics feel a little FFX but are very smooth as well as detailed.

Anyway they have a free-to-play trial going and you can download the client and play for FREE up to level 20. After that its like 8.95 a month to subscribe so less than WoW. I haven't seen much advertising so I wanted to share since I really like it so far.

-Cliffs-
- MMO - Free to play up to level 20
- Unique 3 character party system
- Beautiful graphics
- Big boobs
- Diablo style fighting with TONS of monsters and fast killing
- Fighter, Musketeer, Wizard, Elementalist, Scout classes
- Unique characters that will join party that have their own special abilities
- Good community
- More casual MMO than WoW
- PVP via duels, all out colony wars and several PVP servers to choose from. Also a non-pvp one.

Check it out here

If you have any questions about gameplay let me know. I've played this since June in beta so Im not an expert but had plenty of time to love it.

Still has a few bugs since it was just released but mostly cosmetic stuff a few words lost in translation things like that.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I was actually looking at this a few weeks ago and it looks pretty cool overall. The graphics look nice, thats for sure.

I definitely got a Final Fantasy vibe from the screenshots, but that is not a bad thing at all.

How is the population? Are there a lot of people on most of the time?

Cheers,
KT

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I was actually looking at this a few weeks ago and it looks pretty cool overall. The graphics look nice, thats for sure.

I definitely got a Final Fantasy vibe from the screenshots, but that is not a bad thing at all.

How is the population? Are there a lot of people on most of the time?

Cheers,
KT

Right now most people are still leveling up threw the beginning stages so I see tons of people around and out n' about places. It was a EU/US launch so even late night/mornings seems to be people running around I guess from different areas.

It's not overly thick with people yet but there are multiple "channels" on each server so people like to jump around to one that isn't that busy. The channels are like another copy of that same area sort of like an "instance" I guess is the closest thing I can compare them too.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sorry, next question: how easy is it to solo in this game?

I am fellowing quite a bit in LOTRO but sometimes I just like to solo and do my own thing without having to worry about a group, but unfortunately it is not always easy to do so. It would be great to find a game that I could solo through if I so desired.

KT

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002

I am fellowing quite a bit in LOTRO but sometimes I just like to solo and do my own thing without having to worry about a group, but unfortunately it is not always easy to do so. It would be great to find a game that I could solo through if I so desired.

KT

You get to make 3 characters of your choice so you have your own gorup most of the time. The scout uses daggers and heals as well, fighter tanks stuff, wizard / elementalist do the magic thing and musketeers blast everything. You can create a nice balance with just those characters wether you like to go all offense, defense or a mix.

Plus this sounds weird but you have different formations to put your group in as you roam about.

Assault Mode - Attacks everything between where you are and where you click to go.
Harvest Mode - Picks everything up between point A and point B
Defend Mode - I love this!! You characters will automatically defend a position you click, fighting off any monsters around that spot. They will continue to do so until either dead or you tell them to do something else so you can grab a drink and not die. If you go afk for too long it will disconnect but works for about 30min I think.

So yeah soloing is no problem but you can also create groups (called squads) and guilds (called clans).

Nnyan

May 30, 2003
Gave this a try (despite not liking most Korean MMO's) and no thank you. I would rather play LoTRO/WoW/EvE then this any day of the week.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: se7en

KT

You get to make 3 characters of your choice so you have your own gorup most of the time. The scout uses daggers and heals as well, fighter tanks stuff, wizard / elementalist do the magic thing and musketeers blast everything. You can create a nice balance with just those characters wether you like to go all offense, defense or a mix.

Plus this sounds weird but you have different formations to put your group in as you roam about.

Assault Mode - Attacks everything between where you are and where you click to go.
Harvest Mode - Picks everything up between point A and point B
Defend Mode - I love this!! You characters will automatically defend a position you click, fighting off any monsters around that spot. They will continue to do so until either dead or you tell them to do something else so you can grab a drink and not die. If you go afk for too long it will disconnect but works for about 30min I think.

So yeah soloing is no problem but you can also create groups (called squads) and guilds (called clans).

Interesting. So you create your own party. I'll have to check it out for sure; will have to wait until the weekend though. :(

KT

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
I remember this game being discussed here before.

It looks far, far too silly to take seriously. All the characters look anime, there is too much cartoon sexuality (which is silly in and of itself if you think about it), oversized weapons that make it look like a silly cartoon...yadda, yadda, yadda.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
the game is horrible. just trying to walk around the world is painful.

i don't see how anyone can find this game fun

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

Wow, what makes it that terrible?

KT

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
LoL - It's like the developers said ...."F#@! it !! Most people are going to bot this 150 level grindfest so we might as well include the bot software in the game."

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

KT

the controls and camera just plain suck...i didn't even make it out of the town or fight anything, thats how much i hated it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

KT

the controls and camera just plain suck...i didn't even make it out of the town or fight anything, thats how much i hated it.

Wow, well now I am intrigued. I'll have to see for myself.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Normally the "boobs" would interest me, but having seen so many rendered boobs over the past few years I just dont care anymore.

matas

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2005
Looks very good since u can control 3 players at the time. Gonna try out this. Maybe there is some copy of this game, but free to play?

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Normally the "boobs" would interest me, but having seen so many rendered boobs over the past few years I just dont care anymore.

I think it was Bioware that started the render dangly/jiggly mesh. I know Aribeth and the Drow queen both bounced when they ran or thrashed around.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Enjoyed the game up to level 30. There was a dungeon around there that bottlenecked my play because there were never any monsters up. The game is extremely linear (this area for 20-23, this area for 23-26, this area 26-29), Because of that, you don't have any options if your current area is overcrowded. Such a shame, I actually enjoyed the fast paced gameplay when lots of mobs were spawned.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was in the closed beta for Granado Espada. I just didn't like it at all. Be it that the characters had 0 customization to their looks, or how you can just turn on that auto-rush (I forget the real name) to attack characters can turn easy fights into nothing other than sitting there.

If you want, I made a thread on this game awhile ago with some screenshots from early parts of the game.

Also, I wish you could turn off the point-n-click movement style in the game... it gets a bit annoying after awhile, especially if you're used to MMOs that move via keys.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Something tells me this is going to be just like lineage 2.

I love all the artwork they put in the game.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
This game saddens me. The artwork, music, and idea of it are all great.

The movement and fighting is ridiculous though. There's absolutely no strategy to any fight. Granted, in most MMOs there isn't much either, but this takes it to a whole new extreme. All the mobs die in about one hit from my regular attacks, making the specials useless. Even if they weren't useless, it's too hard to use them. They have macro keys but some of the skills you have to select an enemy (which will be dead by the time you do it), and some require you to select the ground, which the character won't do if they get hit by something first.

I don't know why someone can't make a game with the presentation of this/FF/EQ2, the combat of CoH, the depth and freedom of UO, and the interface of WoW.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
wow! downloaded this and played it for about 5 minutes.. HOW TERRIBLE! Movement, Camera Angles, and dialogue was all very difficult. Almost like running Command and Conquer with clipping turned on and point and click kills.

no wonder its free!

matas

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2005
it's not really free after certain level i think.

Anyway, I started the game, it does not work, it just exits me to desktop.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Played for a bit last night, and overall I feel as if I am playing a console game and it certainly does not feel like an MMO.

I found the controls a little strange at first, but I got used to it after a short period of adjustment. The 'story' seems a little stunted and does not progress that well (so far anyway).

I lked that some of the dialogue was tongue-in-cheek and I kind of liked the overall look of the game. It made me feel like I was playing Phantasy Star 2 again actually.

I can't really see myself getting into it for the long haul, but I did not find it as terrible as some of the others above me.

KT

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
Don't play Korean MMOs if you want to keep your soul (I played Lineage2 for a year).