Switching TV from Comcast to ...?

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Our Comcast bill is just nuts so I'm looking for other options. Personally I could give up cable TV completely but that doesn't go over well with the rest of the family.

So I just started looking at Verizon, Dish and DirectTV. Verizon is an option is our area but in the past they've had to dig up your yard to run the lines to the house. There's been quite a few screw ups in our neighborhood from the contractors hired to do the work.

Looked at Dish this morning and their lower tier packages have all the channels we need and the DVR seems to be better than what Comcast offers. Can satellite use our existing coax cable?

I would still keep Comcast internet since our service is rock solid and has been for the last 10 years.

Anyone switch from cable to SAT or just happy with something other than Comcast?

Nov 29, 2006
They should be able to use your existing coax in the house with SAT. I switched to DirecTV a few years ago and have had no problems with it. Your other options to try and get by the family and an OTA, Hulu, Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. If they cant find something to watch well i dont know what to tell ya :)

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've considered local OTA plus sling but we really do need a DVR for programming. No one wants to watch commercials or plan their day around shows. I may be able to wear everyone down but for now it may just be time to switch to something different. We've been with Comcast forever and their not as willing to give us deals anymore.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
I may be able to wear everyone down but for now it may just be time to switch to something different. We've been with Comcast forever and their not as willing to give us deals anymore.

They are too busy taking your money and giving new users a break. Always seemed like a Pyramid Scheme to me. (and buying NBC and Universal.) Not that cable fees are high. It was $20 and now it is $150. If I complain they say get phone too at great rate. They don't know eventual rate but you will find out month after deal is over.

alexandrafergie

Aug 5, 2015
I would go with DirecTV - I've been using them for years and have been happy. The only issue is when its storming out bad then the tv will cut out, but thats what on demand is for! They have it set up to work through the internet.

Syran

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
We love our Dish Network w/ Hopper & a Super Joey. Can watch/record 5 live shows at once, or 4 + the big 4 during the Primetime Anytime timeline, which I love having. Works fine over existing RG6 Coax. With the new hopper, you also have Sling Capabilities built into the system, for when you are away from home, you can still watch things.

I also have referrals that give $5 off a month for the first 10 months you are with Dish. You can PM me if you are interested in a code for it.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
You could try canceling and then sign up as a new customer under your spouse's name to get a new customer promo which are usually the best.