Switching to AT&T which blackberry?

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Looking at the BB pearl or curve, what do you recommend? Do you have to have a data plan to get it? I dont need internet or GPS. I just want to be able to send text messages.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
You don't need a data plan to use a BB. The differences between the Pearl and Curve are minimal but can be summed up as:

- Curve:
Wider screen
Full QWERTY KB

- Pearl (IF 8120 aka Pearl 2)
Wifi
MicroSD HC with external slot

If you are getting the Original 8100 Pearl, be aware that it comes with a 2.5mm headphone jack and you cannot use your own cans. The P2 has a 3.5mm jack, as does the Curve.

Otherwise they should have the same OS release on them. Note the P2 has the MUCH improved media player that is also on the Curve. Check, if you are getting a P1, that the OS shipped is 4.3 minimum, or that they can upgrade it in store for you. It has the nice media player, spell check and so on that did not ship with the P1 initially.

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
according to T-mobile website the curve has wifi

EDIT: my mistake upon further reading it seems the ATT version has no wifi but has GPS and the T-MO version has wifi but no GPS

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Can I have my Pearl (P1) upgraded to a newer software with a better media player?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: akshatp
Can I have my Pearl (P1) upgraded to a newer software with a better media player?

4.3 is available for the 8100, yes. Dunno if any carriers have it publicly available yet though.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
You don't need a data plan to use a BB. T

I dont know how the GSM blackberrys work, but for the CDMA blackberrys, a data plan is required since the BB pings the BB servers every 3-5 seconds, even if there was no bis/bes account associated with the BB. This was causing huge per kb data charges. All the CDMA carriers (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel) wont activate a BB without a data plan. Id check with AT&T about this before I bought one.

edit: Looking at the AT&T forums, it looks like you can get a BB without a data plan, but you wont be able to use pic/video messaging or BB messaging/email w/o a data plan.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

4.3 is available for the 8100, yes. Dunno if any carriers have it publicly available yet though.

Is it something I can download and install myself?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001

If you find a 4.3 update for the 8100, yes. You can do it via the desktop manager software. Be aware that your device will be out of action for up to two hours while you are updating.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

If you find a 4.3 update for the 8100, yes. You can do it via the desktop manager software. Be aware that your device will be out of action for up to two hours while you are updating.

Thanks... Ill look for it this weekend