Switching to a new protein powder, no sweeteners, etc.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by EvilYoda, Nov 22, 2012.

1. EvilYoda

EvilYoda Lifer

Anybody use NOW whey isolate? I've kept dairy in my diet up until this point and want to try shakes that aren't mixed with milk...up until this point I've used ON after trying multiple others.

If you do, do you mix it just with water and chug? I was thinking maybe mixing with a low-sugar juice would work...this also makes it easier for me on the road since I don't have to worry about having a fridge in the hotel room and keeping milk cool. I can just buy a jug of juice and keep it at room temperature.

2. EvilYoda

EvilYoda Lifer

For clarity, I realize that you don't have to mix ON or the type with milk...my question lies more specifically with the unflavored/unsweetened protein powders. I'm going to try NOW as the reviews are pretty good, unless someone has a better suggestion.

3. mple

mple Senior member

Have you considered switching to dry milk powder?

4. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Diamond Member

Mixing Chocolate and Strawberry ON with Water tastes just fine. Though if you put a bit too much water taste starts to degrade very fast.

5. bononos

bononos Diamond Member

Never used NOW but there's nothing wrong with drinking unflavoured powders+water, doesn't taste bad at all. Concentrate has a pleasant sweet taste and isolate has little taste.

I never understood the endless discussions about flavours/taste/textures/brands. And when those discussions appear in bb/steroid forums I really have to question the motivation of the lifters. It was bad tasting liver powders back in the day. Heck even I got used to unsweetened hydrolyzed stuff.

6. Zivic

Zivic Diamond Member

I used to order from the protein factory.. it would come in big plastic bags.. hydrolized 520, a little bovine serum, maybe mix in a little concentrate....

that's when sh!t was 'real'. now days my protein tastes like candy

7. M0oG0oGaiPan

M0oG0oGaiPan Diamond Member

You can try adding some flavor with some sugar free pudding mix if it tastes bad.

8. vi edit

vi edit Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Have you tried unsweetened almond milk as your base? 40 calories a serving, decent calcium and a bit more...rich? than using water to mix whey.

9. Ventanni

Ventanni Golden Member

Silk Almond Milk to the rescue here. I buy the Sweetened Vanilla (90 calories and more nutritious per serving) to mix with my protein powder, and it tastes really good. It also lasts far longer than milk does given that it's just, well, bean juice. Try it. You'll probably really like it.

10. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

To me ON Casein is the best in a big glass of water. The Whey needs much less water to be really tasty. For the amount of water I use for my Casein, I'd need two scoops of Whey to make it good.