Switching Teams

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I know some people used to preach doing a reinstall of my OS if I'm switching cards, but is that really necessary in today's day and age?

I'm on Vista Home Premium.

What are the best free driver cleaner programs out there? ... still Driver Cleaner Pro?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
NO IT IS NOT.
Driver cleaner pro is from 2005 and would corrupt your OS if you use it without previously uninstalling the drivers.

You can buy the NEW version of driver cleaner pro, but it now has a new name.

Or you can use driver sweeper.

All of it is unnecessary though... simple straight forward solution:
1. Uninstall the ATI driver from add/remove programs
2. Turn off your computer
3. Swap cards.
4. Install the nvidia drivers.
5. Restart computer
6. If driver issues are experienced install the nvidia drivers AGAIN over the previous ones WITHOUT uninstalling existing drivers. (only uninstall when swapping cards)
7. If driver issues continue uninstall all drivers, boot to safe mode, run driver sweeper, restart, and reinstall nvidia drivers.

If you were to go the other way around (nvidia to ATI) the process is the same, only swap the names nvidia and ATI in the list.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: taltamir
NO IT IS NOT.
Driver cleaner pro is from 2005 and would corrupt your OS if you use it without previously uninstalling the drivers.

3. Swap cards.
5. Restart computer
6. If driver issues are experienced install the nvidia drivers AGAIN over the previous ones WITHOUT uninstalling existing drivers. (only uninstall when swapping cards)
7. If driver issues continue uninstall all drivers, boot to safe mode, run driver sweeper, restart, and reinstall nvidia drivers.

If you were to go the other way around (nvidia to ATI) the process is the same, only swap the names nvidia and ATI in the list.

Corrupting your OS? Aren't we supposed to uninstall current drivers before running driver cleaner anyway?

What you said, kind of makes little sense, at least if you read it the way I read it.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: taltamir
NO IT IS NOT.

3. Swap cards.
5. Restart computer

Do you know something important that will make Driver Cleaner Pro corrupt my OS?

The instructions say to uninstall the drivers before using Driver Cleaner Pro...

And there's the ATI uninstall utility that I also have to uninstall. Maybe you missed that.