Switching from Nvidia to ATI.... Properly

FrozenAthlon

Jan 24, 2002
Quick question regarding these video cards....

I replaced my Visiontek Ti 4600 with Radeon 9700... Before installing the new card into my machine I uninstalled Nvidia Display Drivers from the Add/Remove Programs and shut down... After the swap, Installed ATI drivers and ran 3d mark without a glitch... Is there something I forgot, trying to remove Nvidia filed in system without having to format.

Thanks... I know it sounds kinda dumb but I been using Nvidia since day 1 and being my first ATI card... I dont want to overlook and run into any compatibility problems.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
no that should do it, sometimes there can still be stuff that will cause trouble in the rejustry and there are more thorough ways to go about cleaning out drivers but i imagine you are just fine. if benchmarks look normal and you dont have any other issues i woundn't worry about it.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Precisely! It is wise to remove all traces, drivers and reg settings relating to your old card. IMHO the best way of doing this is to boot in VGA Mode, uninstall your old drivers, run Detonator Destroyer, install the latest official drivers for your new gfx card and finally reinstall DX8.1. Also ensuring your have the latest official mobo BIOS and drivers is wise, but as TheSnowman says, if things are running smooth don't worry!