Switched to HDMI cable - worse signal quality?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I just switched from component to HDMI, and it seems like the video quality actually went down. I'm outputting at the same resolution, with the same settings, and it definitely looks worse. Anyone else experience this?

Zorro

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I just switched from component to HDMI, and it seems like the video quality actually went down. I'm outputting at the same resolution, with the same settings, and it definitely looks worse. Anyone else experience this?

Cable or Sat ?

If cable use the componet cables.......

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Yes, my cable box looks worse over HDMI then component. What are you using over HDMI?

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
What does "cable or sat" have to do with it?

What it comes down to are any number of things, most likely it's how your display processes signals. Many CRTs just take HDMI, convert it to analog anyways, so they invest less money in HDMI looking good, and just add it as an extra feature.

Zorro

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Wag
What does "cable or sat" have to do with it?

What it comes down to are any number of things, most likely it's how your display processes signals. Many CRTs just take HDMI, convert it to analog anyways, so they invest less money in HDMI looking good, and just add it as an extra feature.

Cable boxes always suck with HDMI/ With my Dish 622 HDMI owns it.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
If you have a plasma most likely the problem is you're not getting the native resolution of your display over output. Usually they are not exactly 1280x720, they're these odd resolutions like 1360x768 or somesuch, and that could be part of it.

You also might need to recalibrate your display for each input.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Some people (myself included) have noticed that on some plasmas (notably those using Panasonic glass), HDMI looks a bit grainer and washed-out compared with component. This is probably due to a different scaling method being used by the set when using HMDI versus component.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: QED
Some people (myself included) have noticed that on some plasmas (notably those using Panasonic glass), HDMI looks a bit grainer and washed-out compared with component. This is probably due to a different scaling method being used by the set when using HMDI versus component.

I had some pretty terrible banding, with a lot of graniness, jumping pixels, etc. I switched back. My TV is incredibly stupid, as it has two sets of component inputs, but only one of them has audio input. Guess I'll have to run my PS2 on s-video.