Switched to HD 7950, looks like 16bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
I had Geforce 550 Ti before, 2D image quality was very good. Then I switched to Radeon HD 7950, image quality looks horrible, it looks very flat with bad colors, I suspect the image is stuck at 16 bit even though it says 32 bit everywhere. I cannot look at pictures when it's like this! How will I fix this?

You weren't allowed to get away with trolling A/V. I'm not sure what makes you think you'll get away with it here
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
Ok I compared 16 bit vs 32 bit, with 32 bit the edges look smoother, so it's not stuck at 16 bit. It's 32 bit with very bad colors! Money into toilet! I want my 550 Ti back, can I RMA my card?

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
I wonder if Radeon has different default color settings than Geforce. I increased the saturation and it looks better now. Does Geforce have boosted saturation?

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Are you connecting through HDMI? IIRC, it might be getting set to limited YCbCr. Check for that first, because it can have a huge impact on the color range, and thus the contrast ratio.

If that isn't it, you can try the hue and saturation slider bars settings in CCC. If your colors looked washed out, you can increase the saturation a bit.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Definitely config / driver glitch (outside of a tiny tiny chance of a bad card that somehow has borked colors?). I've used gobs of Nvidia and AMD cards, and haven't seen bad 2d colors since the days of cheap cheap GF2-MX / Radeon 9200 cards over VGA.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Did you replace the card without reinstalling windows? If yes, then what's probably happening is color profile issues.

2d colors should look exactly the same, with no difference of of any kind when using a modern GPU, a digital cable, and the same display. Basically, the GPU should just be passing on the color values provided by the software to the display, with the display choosing how to show them. If this is not true, something is probably broken.

Also, it's unlikely to be a hardware issue, so rma probably wouldn't help.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
Did you replace the card without reinstalling windows? If yes, then what's probably happening is color profile issues.

2d colors should look exactly the same, with no difference of of any kind when using a modern GPU, a digital cable, and the same display. Basically, the GPU should just be passing on the color values provided by the software to the display, with the display choosing how to show them. If this is not true, something is probably broken.

Also, it's unlikely to be a hardware issue, so rma probably wouldn't help.
Yes, I replaced the card without reinstalling windows. I used DriverSweeper and removed all drivers, then I installed the card again, it didn't help. I increased the saturation from 100 to 125 and it got better. Then I upgraded the power cord of computer and colors got too bright now, so I had to reduce the saturation. I will make more experiments.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I'd keep at it as the upgrade you've chosen to your previous hardware is a gigantic leap. You'll get it resolved with enough persistence.

Status
Not open for further replies.