Switched from Cyborg Rat 9 to Zowie AM, never going back

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I have for about 9 months been using a Razor Mantis cloth mat with a Cyborg RAT 9. I have loved that mat for many years but cloth mats have moved on since I bought it and it has the sort of grime that no amount of washing removes (ekk). The Cyborg RAT 9 I hated from the start. It was too heavy and the sensor glitches frequently and it doesn't move smoothly. I think it hated the mouse pad due to the large weave on the cloth, but it also had terrible mouse feet which I had to exchange. All in all I went from some awful mice (Razor Mantis).

So I finally followed the esreality guys advice, got myself a Zowie AM and a Puretrak talent cloth mat. The pair really makes a massive difference. The mouse pointer finally goes precisely where I put it, there is no acceleration and its simply accurate.

All these fancy laser mice from Razor and Cyborg and Saitek, I tried a lot of them and in the end I am back with a very basic mouse with optical, and quite simply its better. Laser mice for the most part are just rubbish and being back with a light mouse that is accurate feels so nice. My game improved immediately. Highly recommend the combination.

Doom 4d

Nov 8, 2012
Not to knock on the OP or the sentiment, because the Zowie AM actually is a great and simple mouse and I use it myself, but the Puretrak Talent is actually not a preferable mouse pad to use with it. The Zowie AM's sensor has measurable jitter and some tracking issues related to the Puretrak Talent because of the multi-color pattern on the mouse pad's surface. It's a well documented issue with the Zowie AM's sensor in conjunction with the aftermarket lens that Zowie has opted for.

This mouse actually functions regardless of color, as long as the color of the pad is uniform. So for best results, you'll want to pair it with a pad that is one color.

This is not to say that a Zowie AM will not function at all with a Puretrak Talent, but its malfunction speed will be lower and less reliable as well as increased jitter during testing.

The Puretrak Talent is a great mouse pad aside from this though, and it works great with other mice and causes no issue. So the Zowie AM and Puretrak Talent are both great products, just not necessarily that great when paired with each other.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I have for about 9 months been using a Razor Mantis cloth mat with a Cyborg RAT 9. I have loved that mat for many years but cloth mats have moved on since I bought it and it has the sort of grime that no amount of washing removes (ekk). The Cyborg RAT 9 I hated from the start. It was too heavy and the sensor glitches frequently and it doesn't move smoothly. I think it hated the mouse pad due to the large weave on the cloth, but it also had terrible mouse feet which I had to exchange. All in all I went from some awful mice (Razor Mantis).

So I finally followed the esreality guys advice, got myself a Zowie AM and a Puretrak talent cloth mat. The pair really makes a massive difference. The mouse pointer finally goes precisely where I put it, there is no acceleration and its simply accurate.

All these fancy laser mice from Razor and Cyborg and Saitek, I tried a lot of them and in the end I am back with a very basic mouse with optical, and quite simply its better. Laser mice for the most part are just rubbish and being back with a light mouse that is accurate feels so nice. My game improved immediately. Highly recommend the combination.

I thought Razer scarab was one the best mouse mats there is?