Switcharoooooo

Nezsem

May 5, 2005

K I recently bought a cheap old school computer off a guy just for the OS it had. He sold me the computer for 20 bucks as it was just stored in his garage and offered to let me have it free but I gave him 20 bucks anyways. So basically my question... The comp came with a IDE hard drive at 3.4 gigabytes with the OS Windows ME. Now I was building another computer for my best friends girlfriend (god I hate her) and was just going to buy all the simple parts perfect for chatting, email, and web browsing. Nothing complicated. What I wanted to do was use the HD from the old computer I got and use it as the OS. BUUUUUUTTTT heres my question.... I really hate the idea of handing a computer with only 3.4 gigabyes of a harddrive and the OS taking up like 2 and a half gigabyes already lol so I wanted to ask is there any way to transfer the OS on that HD to a brand new 40 gig Hard drive I just bought?? I mean its not illegal or anything right or even possible? I was just thinking of adding the hard drive to my gaming computer along with the new 40 gig HD and just copy and paste every single file on the 3.4 gig HD to the new 40 gig HD...Is this possible?? Or is there another way???

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004

Win9.x take less than 300 megs, with drivers, desktop applications & browsers might boost it to 500~600 megs. And Windows ME shouldn't be too much more than the rest of the previous Windows. 3.4 GB should be okay for a while till the catch files and temp folder fill up, therefore it should be nice to have a larger hdd if you don't do regular maintenance.

It might be a better idea to get a bottom of the line computer for $200 or less, or a Walmart special for $199 with Xandros instead of building your own.

Nezsem

May 5, 2005
No....Im just using the hard drive from the computer I bought for 20 bucks....using it for the OS... My question is if I can transfer the OS into a bigger Hardrive. Im not building one for me. I got 2 already. This is for my friends girlffriend.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Yes download Acronis trueimage trial and clone the drive to the new disk, Bingo done. No it is not illegal as long as you have the license for the OS and it is only on one computer. Why in heavens name do you want Windows ME? Worst OS EVER!

pcgeek

Nezsem

May 5, 2005
lol, thanks. You saved me lots of time. Windows ME? As I said, I bought the comp with the OS already installed in it. Who says I'm going to keep it? Upgrading the OS to XP :)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Nezsem
lol, thanks. You saved me lots of time. Windows ME? As I said, I bought the comp with the OS already installed in it. Who says I'm going to keep it? Upgrading the OS to XP :)

Oh I thought this: " K I recently bought a cheap old school computer off a guy just for the OS it had. " meant you bought it for the OS... Sorry.

pcgeek11

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
I would recommend buying a license of XP for the new computer you are building. There's no reason to build someone a brand new computer with any variation of Windows 9x on it.

Nezsem

May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: pcgeek11

Oh I thought this: " K I recently bought a cheap old school computer off a guy just for the OS it had. " meant you bought it for the OS... Sorry.

pcgeek11

I did buy it just for the OS. I have an XP upgrade CD, not the complete OS installation. Thats why I needed the OS..

And Mr.Chad (lol funny name) I'm not keeping the windows 98 on it, upgrading to XP :)

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

I did buy it just for the OS. I have an XP upgrade CD, not the complete OS installation. Thats why I needed the OS..

And Mr.Chad (lol funny name) I'm not keeping the windows 98 on it, upgrading to XP :)

since you nowhave the WinME cd why bother copying old crap to your new HD,just start the XP install normally to your new HD and when it asks for it put the ME cd in,then you'll have a CLEAN install of XP.