Switch from Linux to BSD ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by polm, Mar 14, 2003.

1. polm

polm Diamond Member

OK...so I have been a die hard linux user for many many years. I have installed FreeBSD once, and I wasn't too impressed.

I am a big Debian fan, and the BSD packaging system just wasnt comparible to the apt-get system, IMHO.

What would be a good reason for a linux user to swith over to BSD ?

2. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

because linux is getting n00bified

3. polm

polm Diamond Member

hmmm....so because of the "tidal wave" of newbie linux usersI should change to BSD ? Why ? So I can claim L33t-ness ?

4. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

to learn new stuff

the last couple times i have tried to install freebsd, the X install has choked out, i need to try it again sometime

5. Pepsi90919

Pepsi90919 Banned

it's been around forever, it doesn't crash, ports...

6. mpitts

mpitts Lifer

I think that is a lot of the reason people go from Windows to Linux to BSD. They want to be special.

These are the same people who scream about how their favorite band has sold out because they are on MTV and 14 year-old girls have started to like their music.

7. MercenaryForHire

Yes, because remember - the more underground and hacked-up your OS, the more 3l33t j00 4r3! d0n't b3 l1k3 t3h MIcr0$0ft m0nk3hzz!!!11!1

[​IMG]

- M4H

8. SSP

SSP Lifer

So finally when linux get more users you just abandon it? Cool. [​IMG]

9. LordRaiden

LordRaiden Banned

Well of course. We left windows cause it sucks and is too idiot friendly, thus any distro of linux that becomes idiot friendly will no longer be our friend. :)

The idiots can have their windows OS. We'll stick with our linux os's for smart people. :D (*yes, I'm being facicious. But some people actually believe this tripe. I think it's called an over inflated ego*)

I run linux cause I can trust it not to cause issues and die every 2 minutes. If newbies want to start using it and learn it, I'm all game for them to do so. At least they're willing to learn, unlike some people who just want to push a button and have a computer do everything for them so that they don't actually have to use their brain or learn something. Oh heaven forbid if they actually gotta use their brains. [​IMG]

10. The Stigenator

We have 4 *nix boxes.. and one is a linux box, one freeBSD, one OpenBSD, one NetBSD.

Of the 4 linux and Open BSD are used teh most.. as for the swiching.. everything for the most part is teh same.. swiching isnt too hard.. only thing OpenBSD install was a bitch. NetBSD was teh easiest to install.

11. Pepsi90919

Pepsi90919 Banned

why would i want to use a *desktop* OS that's hard to use?

12. Willoughbyva

Willoughbyva Diamond Member

About 3 years ago I tried FreeBSD, forgot which version it was. I couldn't figure out the install proceedure. :( Yeah I never used it before. I want to try it again, but my winmodem isn't supported like it is in Linux. I wish I had broadband I would try all the BSD's and Linux versions.

13. n0cmonkey

n0cmonkey Elite Member

Security. Linux is good, but OpenBSD is quite possibly the best. Check out my security thread in this forum. I'll post more about this later. :D

14. n0cmonkey

n0cmonkey Elite Member

Monkies don't use Microsoft when they don't have to.

15. yoda291

yoda291 Diamond Member

isn't it spelled monkeys?

I think the most compelling reason to switch is because you are getting a complete and developed, mature operating system instead of a kernel and a prayer. if you ever run into dependency issues with libc, you'll understand what I am saying. (like try installing rh6.2 and updating your libraries). Granted, for most people, this isn't a big deal as the distribution will usually have some way of automating it. Also, I believe the general consensus is that bsds generally perform better than linuxes because the development is so tight knit and organized, whereas with linux, it's very chaotic and widespread with the exception of the kernel code. Also, if security is an issue, you can never go wrong with openbsd. If memory serves, openbsd hasn't had a remote exploit of any sort in over 5 years. A well set up openbsd machine is prolly as secure as you are going to get without some very special hardware.

also, I find it odd that you find the ports collection inferior to apt-get...for the most part people I've known prefer ports to apt. the pkg system is pretty slick too, much preferred over rpm. I'm wondering what you felt was flawed about bsd p&p.

16. UNCjigga

UNCjigga Lifer

Hey, what's the diff between FreeBSD and OpenBSD???

17. polm

polm Diamond Member

Well I didn't have BSD installed for very long, but I seem to recall APT-GET providing automatic, if I choose, inclusion of any missing dependancies IMMEDIATELY when attempting to install new packages.

Maybe BSD can do this, and I just never spent enough time researching it.

My other issue with BSD is hardware and software support. I use my Linux systems to create VPN connections to Cisco hardware via a VPN Client created by Cisco. There is no support for this client in BSD. BSD does not have support for my Laptop's sound card.

18. stspad

stspad Member

FreeBSD sucks, OpenBSD doesnt heh. IMO that is ;]

19. notfred

notfred Lifer

That's the reason most former home linux users have become home FreeBSD users.

20. yoda291

yoda291 Diamond Member

ok. I think I see what happened. Ports will also download and install dependencies like apt-get does. the package system requires a an optional switch usually for this functionality.

One uses a blowfish for a mascot, the other uses a little devil :D

Actually openbsd if very much centered around security. Their focus is to have a very secure OS. I recall, at one point, their claims that a fresh openbsd system "out of box" was impregnable to remote exploits. It's about as secure a box as you can get without special hardware/licenses.

Freebsd, IIRC, is like a jack of all trades among the bsds...on steroids. I think the best description of it is, a unix playground. It's got all those neat OS features put in because they don't necessarily need to focus on security or compatability(tho it is still amazingly secure and compatible with most PC hardware), rather, the focus is prolly more on just making an all around good OS.

Netbsd, if you're interested, is pretty much all about running unix on just about as many environments as possible. Very good for embedded devices.

21. yoda291

yoda291 Diamond Member

It looks to me that most home linux users stay linux users. Much of the software out there is usually built for linux systems and hardware compatibility is better on linux than freebsd.

22. notfred

notfred Lifer

Yeah, but most former home linux users don't.

23. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Elite Member

After a great deal of effort and stumbling around I finally accidentally got Linux installed. My wheel on my mouse didn't function like in IE and windows in another partition started to open with an error. But Windows Internet Explorer crashes a lot and it would be nice to have something that didn't. I spose there's some way to get the mouse working, but the directions would be in geek so nobody could understand it. You not only have to learn Linux or BSD but Nero or alternative and some ftp program and something like Partition Magic if you screw up which is easy cause nothing is in English and comprehensible.

24. notfred

notfred Lifer

So basically, you're complaining about documentation that is almost as hard to read as most of your posts?

25. stspad

stspad Member

freebsd has a crap load of ports, but i dunno the os is pretty messy IMO, and /usr/home kinda pissd me off ;p havent used it since 4.6; i got 2 OpenBSD boxes tho, one 3.2-stable and a 3.3 beta box with a march 5th snapshot. openbsd's ports are getting better, and 3.3 is gonna be a bad ass rls. I have yet to use netbsd. i really want to, i got a sparcstation 5 ive been itching to install it on, but not enough time to dedicate to it. oh and you cant beat bsd's license heh. thats what makes it great really. all that freedom :]