Swift plant now submits to Islam........

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
So how about you don't get Easter or Christmas off anymore.
I think that would make it about even.
Try pulling your head out of your ass and using it for once, you might see that you aren't the one being persecuted.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
They should get prayer breaks if they want 'em. After all, smokers get smoke breaks. Should I take up smoking just so I can slack off at work? Or should I just pretend to so I can go take a nap in my car whenever I feel like it?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
They should get prayer breaks if they want 'em. After all, smokers get smoke breaks. Should I take up smoking just so I can slack off at work? Or should I just pretend to so I can go take a nap in my car whenever I feel like it?

I take smoke breaks at work, and I don't smoke. I go out with a coworker whenever he does...

That said, I don't have a problem with prayer breaks (assuming the plant will still be able to function). I have more of a problem with things like Somali Muslim cab drivers that refuse to transport people who happen to be carrying alcohol, etc. When your religious belief prevents you from doing your job and inconveniences other people who are doing things that are perfectly legal, then you need to get a new job.

Newsflash to these Muslims: The world does not revolve around you.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
MINNEAPOLIS ? Under a settlement to a federal lawsuit, up to 100 Somali Muslims who are current or former workers at Gold'n Plump Inc. will receive a total of $365,000.

The settlement was filed in Minneapolis on Friday. It sprang from allegations of religious discrimination at the company's chicken processing plants in Cold Spring and Arcadia, Wis.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed lawsuits against St. Cloud-based Gold'n Plump and the Work Connection Inc., an employment agency in St. Paul, which handled some hiring for the plant.

Under the settlement, Gold'n Plump agreed to pay $215,000 to workers who were terminated for taking prayer breaks.

The Work Connection will pay $150,000 to workers who were asked to sign a form acknowledging that they might be required to handle pork, which many Muslims consider unclean.

The EEOC estimates that 40 to 100 workers will qualify for the payments

More important than prayer breaks in my opinion is the pork handling, because now what happens if a pharmacist refuses to dispense birth control or something similar due to religious beliefs and they get fired?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
So how about you don't get Easter or Christmas off anymore.
I think that would make it about even.
Try pulling your head out of your ass and using it for once, you might see that you aren't the one being persecuted.

Who is being persecuted? This is basically a line assembly job. You stop the line, it cost the plant money. The Fair Labor Standards Act, does not require employers to give their employees any breaks from work for any reason. State lawas may vary... but according to the article this was in federal court.

If you need to pray more than what your breaks allow or don't want to handle pork... well go get a job elsewhere.

This is ridiculous.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: 1prophet
MINNEAPOLIS ? Under a settlement to a federal lawsuit, up to 100 Somali Muslims who are current or former workers at Gold'n Plump Inc. will receive a total of $365,000.

The settlement was filed in Minneapolis on Friday. It sprang from allegations of religious discrimination at the company's chicken processing plants in Cold Spring and Arcadia, Wis.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed lawsuits against St. Cloud-based Gold'n Plump and the Work Connection Inc., an employment agency in St. Paul, which handled some hiring for the plant.

Under the settlement, Gold'n Plump agreed to pay $215,000 to workers who were terminated for taking prayer breaks.

The Work Connection will pay $150,000 to workers who were asked to sign a form acknowledging that they might be required to handle pork, which many Muslims consider unclean.

More important than prayer breaks in my opinion is the pork handling, because now what happens if a pharmacist refuses to dispense birth control or something similar due to religious beliefs and they get fired?

what happens? They look for a new job. If you can't do the job as its laid out to you, don't take it.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

what happens? They look for a new job. If you can't do the job as its laid out to you, don't take it.

Now they can refer to this case and keep their jobs plus win compensation for religious discrimination, too bad somebody at The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission didn't see the pandoras box they just opened.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

If they signed up for a job in a chicken plant instead of a pork plant specifically to avoid any conflicts with their religious beliefs, they shouldn't be forced to give up or waive those beliefs. If you sign up for a job as a pharmacists knowing full well that you are required to dispense birth control or morning after and you refuse....

I hope that you see the difference.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
First was this.............

http://jihadwatch.org/archives/022659.php

And now (thank God........errr..........Allah), we have this.......

http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhim...ch/archives/023476.php

I think I'm gonna look for a nice flat down under!!!

:moon:

Well, the lawsuits seem justified... You aren't allowed to fire someone for their religious beliefs, provided said religious beliefs don't interfere with their ability to do the work required of them. If the Muslims need to take a few prayer breaks throughout the day, I really don't see that as something that prevents them from carrying out the duties of their job. As several have mentioned, smokers are allowed to take smoke breaks; are you advocating firing all the smokers too?

And I have a very difficult time taking anyone seriously who cites "jihadwatch.com" as a legitimate news source. Your xenophobia has blinded you to your blatant bigotry, to the point where you will condemn Muslims for actions that you wouldn't give a shit about if they were performed by white Christians. Just be upset that your religion didn't have the foresight to require prayer breaks throughout the day and move on.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Well, the lawsuits seem justified... You aren't allowed to fire someone for their religious beliefs, provided said religious beliefs don't interfere with their ability to do the work required of them. If the Muslims need to take a few prayer breaks throughout the day, I really don't see that as something that prevents them from carrying out the duties of their job. As several have mentioned, smokers are allowed to take smoke breaks; are you advocating firing all the smokers too?

And I have a very difficult time taking anyone seriously who cites "jihadwatch.com" as a legitimate news source. Your xenophobia has blinded you to your blatant bigotry, to the point where you will condemn Muslims for actions that you wouldn't give a shit about if they were performed by white Christians. Just be upset that your religion didn't have the foresight to require prayer breaks throughout the day and move on.

Employers only need to give religious breaks if it does not interfere with the employees duties or if it does not create an expense. It is not the same an smoking breaks... because employers do not have to give smoke breaks.

So if you are on a production line and half the employees go take a prayer break.. what do the other employees do? The line shuts down creating an expense for the company. This is is not about bigotry towards muslims... this is about being fair to a company that did these people a favor by providing them a job.

Imagine if this was an autoplant that would lose tens of thousands of dollars for every minute the line is shut down.

I work at a job that is not ideal, but it fits my schedule as I need it to. I do not have to make any unreasonable demands of my employer to due my religious beliefs.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: rudder
Employers only need to give religious breaks if it does not interfere with the employees duties or if it does not create an expense. It is not the same an smoking breaks... because employers do not have to give smoke breaks.

So if you are on a production line and half the employees go take a prayer break.. what do the other employees do? The line shuts down creating an expense for the company. This is is not about bigotry towards muslims... this is about being fair to a company that did these people a favor by providing them a job.

Imagine if this was an autoplant that would lose tens of thousands of dollars for every minute the line is shut down.

I work at a job that is not ideal, but it fits my schedule as I need it to. I do not have to make any unreasonable demands of my employer to due my religious beliefs.

Don't get me wrong; all I'm saying is that the law is on the Muslim's side. We have determined in this country that religion is worth protecting, and that we will allow certain provisions for religious workers in the workplace. Personally, as a non-religious person, I don't support it, as it never works to my benefit. Then again, if the Muslims take a prayer break at a specific time, I see no reason why everyone in the company couldn't just take a break then, as the company is required to give a certain number of breaks to employees throughout the day anyway. Have company break times, the Muslims go pray, the smokers go smoke, the other people go jack off in the bathroom or whatever, and everyone's happy.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Is the jewish practice of leaving work early on fridays protected? I can't find specific law on it. If it is, I can't see a problem with the case at hand, unless the time allotted for prayer was unreasonable.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001

Atomic Playboy got the point across much more eloquently than I did. (Note to self: don't post in P&N when tired)

I doubt that a few muslims stopping to pray every few hours would shut the line down. I mean seriously what happens when someone needs to take a restroom break?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Don't get me wrong; all I'm saying is that the law is on the Muslim's side. We have determined in this country that religion is worth protecting, and that we will allow certain provisions for religious workers in the workplace. Personally, as a non-religious person, I don't support it, as it never works to my benefit. Then again, if the Muslims take a prayer break at a specific time, I see no reason why everyone in the company couldn't just take a break then, as the company is required to give a certain number of breaks to employees throughout the day anyway. Have company break times, the Muslims go pray, the smokers go smoke, the other people go jack off in the bathroom or whatever, and everyone's happy.

We need our resident Muslims to fill us in on the prayer procedure. Within a normal workday one would think that enough breaks would be available... pray before work, get 15 minute factory wide break (typically given every 4 hours), lunch break, afternoon break, after work prayer. But is there a specific time Muslins need to pray?