Sweet, I got screwed, now what ? >:(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Actually unless I'm mistaken about a year ago VISA announced that they were extending the same credit card guarantee's they offer to the debit cards that have their logo. When VISA makes announcements like this all the member banks must comply or remove the visa logo from the cards. So the protesting should be the same as with a CC, the rumors I've heard though is that they are much more stickler on the $50 liability for the consumer on debit cards.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
My Fleet Bank handled my Checkcard transactions like creditcard Transactions

cuz when I found an unauthorized charge.. which was like 2 months old~..

They send me some papers to fill out.. and they told me they'd do an investigation~..

I filled it out .. sent it.. and it took about 2 weeks.. before they gave me the credit back~

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
i called BoA. they issued a credit right away and said they would send the dispute to their care dept for investigation. they're going to try and contact CenCom, inc (parent company) and see what's up.

i'd like to use the money to make the order from another company but i think i'm going to wait to see how the dispute works out, in case CenCom decides to hold me to the order or something.

grrr, at least i've got it credited back, we'll see what happens w/ webuildpcs

one thing's for sure, i'm never ordering from them again

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Even if a check/debit card offers the same fraud protection, with the same $50 liability limit, your money is gone first and you have to fight to get it back. A credit card lets you keep all your money while the dispute is resolved.

I think of the times when I have had accidental double charges on my credit card - and how bad it would have screwed me up if it would have happened on a debit card.

For that reason alone, I would always use a credit card.