[Sweclockers] 20 nm Nvidia Maxwell delayed - to 2015

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
That's nice, but this thread is about 20nm Nvidia product delays. Which should be a surprise to no one, TSMC is always having issues going to a new node, even to the point where in 2009 AMD had to use all kinds of tricks just to get chips out the door.

I know, and the disappointment to go with it. I've just offered a positive note here as to why it may not be a bad thing.

And by the way, kindly remove my quote from your sig please. You're supposed to ask the post originator for permission, and I wasn't asked.
Thanks.

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
I don't think Nvidia can pull the hat trick they did with the 750Ti on a big die chip. Not at 28nm. For various reasons.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
I know, and the disappointment to go with it. I've just offered a positive note here as to why it may not be a bad thing.
There are no positives to 20nm products being delayed, whatever 28nm refreshes we get going forward are compromise products.
And by the way, kindly remove my quote from your sig please. You're supposed to ask the post originator for permission, and I wasn't asked.
Thanks.
PM on the way.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe, maybe not. The way I see it, nvidia has an excellent architecture on their hands with Maxwell and while the truly halo part might need 20nm for sheer transistor count - it is also very possible that NV may scale Maxwell up a tad for more desktop GPUs.

Remember, NV's 60W TDP maxwell is twice the performance of the 65W Kepler or 65W Bonaire (I think, R7-250). So if they scale that up to maybe.....120W TDP, 150W TDP, they could still be well in the 28nm transistor window and have an appreciable performance gain over Kepler still.

I dunno. I just have a difficult time accept that NV will just go all year without releasing a new product especially when they have a capable new uarch on their hands; certainly 20nm is a constraining factor but that doesn't mean gains aren't still possible on 28nm. Now like I said, the true halo part may be 20nm if the delay IS true. We don't know, I sure hope not. I would like new products in tandem with the new intel platform, even if it arrives a few months or a quarter after. Haswell-E sounds pretty tempting, or even Haswell refresh if the overclocking rumors are true. In conjunction with a new GPU? Should be a cool full system upgrade. But I don't know, i'm just speculating here. I'm hoping it happens whether 28nm mid range Maxwell or 20nm high end. I want new toys, basically. ;) But we'll see.

I'd settle for Haswell on 28nm. If they can get about 15% better performance than 780ti and sell for $500.00, that would be great (or good enough). Two of those would go great with a 6 core Haswell and that Asus ROG monitor that so many people are salivating over.

EDIT: I do think that by the time all of these great goodies are available at the same time and after the early adopters catch a bug or two so the rest of us don't have to, it will be really close to 2015.

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Intel...selling at a loss? I didn't think they ever did that. :hmm:

Yes. They are actually trying to be quite innovative.
New markets and products is nearly always an investmemt with loss in the start and Intel is no different.

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
This is not too surprising. A high end Maxwell variant (designed to replace GK110) was not expected until 2015 in the first place, and clearly would require a more advanced fab. process than 28nm. I would expect to see midrange Maxwell variants (designed to replace GK104) come to market in the second half of 2014. Obviously NVIDIA is holding their cards tightly on this, so we will have to wait and see, but I do recall reading at B3D that NVIDIA indicated that desktop Maxwell GTX 8xx cards would come to market starting in the second half of 2014.

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
Sweclockers realiable? Hah.

Lets see what happens in H2. Specially Q4.

I read sweclockers on a daily basis. They almost never speculate and when they do, like the 750 Ti story, they get it right.

Im curious: how often do you read Sweclockers? (meaning you have any ground to stand on to judge them). Im guessing never so you are just embarrasing yourself.

Secondly, can you point out any instance that they have posted a sourced article and were proven wrong?

And if you can't, you are implicitly admitting you are [incorrect].

P.S if you read the actual post you'll notice that a symbolic, Titanesque launch is possible but that a broader launch for the mass market is unlikely to come before 2015. Which is precisely what their article said.

Profanity isn't allowed in the technical forums.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
I find it difficult to accept the graph. Perhaps its because it brings our gfx development to a near stop with 20nm forward. Gaaar. If this graph is true - in light of the saturation of pc market and probably in a handfull of years the mobile market - one can understand why intel and tsmc is pushing the brake. it looks like this area of technology development is slowing drastically. Damn.

Yields go down, wafer costs rise and scaling isn't enough to counteract the higher costs to give any meaningful cost advantages for Nvidia. Since 14nm doesn't have any scaling, it will be even less attractive (even lower yields than 20nm).

Last edited: