Swapping out the FIOS router for my own router question

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
My in-laws just had Internet only FIOS installed in their house. Fortunately, the tech actually ran CAT cable from the RJ45 on the ONT to where the router was installed so Ethernet is already hooked up to the router instead of a coax connection. No need to call Verizon to switch from coax to Ethernet on the ONT.

At this point, is it as simple as unplugging the Verizon router and plugging in my own Asus router I plan on giving them? Or are there other steps?

I have read some info about perhaps having to release the IP address Verizon assigns first on the Verizon router so I'm thinking I might have to do that?

Thanks!

EDIT: Think I found my answer here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15991

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Try it. You have to be patient sometimes it would take 24 hours until the old Router IP is released and the New Router becomes alive.

:cool:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Yes, if it's already Ethernet to the FIOS router, just release the IP, disconnect it and connect your own router. Boom.

I did a similar thing only I've converted my FIOS device to a MoCA bridge because I still have coax coming into the house and use the coax for clearQAM (works well).

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I'll add: the release/renew process for the IP on my end when I swapped in my own router was less than 5 minutes, so you might luck out.