Swapping out an nForce2 m/b for a VIA.. how should I go about this?

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
Here's the deal. I'm sending in my Epox 8RDA+ for repairs (bulging/leaking capacitors). I'm going to buy this as my backup motherboard:

PCChips

which is a VIA chipset m/b.

My question is, when I shut off my machine, rip everything out, and put in the PCChips m/b, am I going to have issues? I've got nForce drivers installed, and any hardware I have now is probably expecting an nForce chipset (like the IDE drivers). How should I go about switching to the VIA chipset?

Once I get my repaired Epox back, I'll be reformatting my machine, so going back to nForce2 doesn't matter. But I need to know the smoothest way to swap motherboards with the least amount of problems.

Thanks!

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
But I need to know the smoothest way to swap motherboards with the least amount of problems.

Format ,clean install of OS,you should always have all your important files etc already backed up,I aways do a clean install when swapping boards,best way I know for cleanest install with least amount of problems.

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
If I knew then what I know now, I would've bought the NF7-S :) But right now I just need a cheap backup motherboard to keep me going till my Epox comes back in the mail.

So formatting is the best option? That means I have to format twice..ugh :( I guess when I format and install the PCChips board, I'll just install very basic apps (email, music stuff, etc).. then when I get the Epox, I'll format again and install everything.

Thanks for the advice.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
If you want it to work (and it probably will) switch to another NForce2 based board, and you likely won't have to do much other than install some drivers. the rest should be compatible with what's already installed if the boards are very similar. (buy another 8RDA) :)

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
Hehe.. find me a budget nForce2 motherboard ($30 or less) and I'll do that. :) Believe me, I don't want VIA..but money is tight, and I just need a backup board while my 8RDA+ is being repaired.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: MDesigner
Hehe.. find me a budget nForce2 motherboard ($30 or less) and I'll do that. :) Believe me, I don't want VIA..but money is tight, and I just need a backup board while my 8RDA+ is being repaired.

Close

REFURBISHED: Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon/XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X (New Version, now support AMD Barton 400Mhz)

$35
Model# A7N8X
Item # N82E16813131455R

Specifications:
CPU Supported: Socket A AMD Athlon/XP/Duron (600MHz - 2.8.GHz up to XP2800)Throughbred core CPU ready
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP
FSB: 400/333/266/200MHz
IDE: 2x channel ATA133
RAM: 3x 184-pin DIMM Sockets(PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR Ram)
Slots: 1x AGP (Pro/8X), 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS2, 4xUSB, 1xCOM,1xLPT, and Audio Ports
Onboard Audio:Realtek® ALC650 6CH
Onboard LAN: MCP integrated NVIDIA® MAC + Realtek® 8201BL PHY
ATX Form Factor