Swapping HDD on new laptop and keeping W10?

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
I am in the market for purchasing a new laptop. I figured to get the most bang for my buck I'll get a laptop with a normal 7200rpm drive and then swap it out with an SSD. My only question is how do I reinstall the OS? I am assuming the cdkey is tied to the mobo? Anyone have any experience in this department? Thanks.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
You don't have to reinstall unless you want to get rid of the OEM bloatware. The only thing you need to do is to clone the disk to the SSD.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If you get the new win 10 ISO that they released today, it should automatically get the "key" in your current laptop.

Or, you can clone it over, as was mentioned.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
You don't have to reinstall unless you want to get rid of the OEM bloatware. The only thing you need to do is to clone the disk to the SSD.

If you get the new win 10 ISO that they released today, it should automatically get the "key" in your current laptop.

Or, you can clone it over, as was mentioned.

Any recommendations on cloning software?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

Acronis or EaseUS or ... too many of them to list. I suppose easiest is Acronis though, and they have free versions from HD makers you can use for the job.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Do a clean install and if your laptop has already been upgraded to 10 you don't need a key as it will activate automatically once online using your hardware id.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
long story short, you can just download the win 10 install media, burn to dvd or put on usb, then take out the HDD pop in the SSD, and install windows 10. It will automatically activate itself because you have already got an OEM installation on your pc and MS's activation servers have its hardware hash already, they can tell you only swapped the drive and thats fine. This will also get rid of all the bloatware, just make sure you look in device manager to see if you are missing anything afterward that you might need to download from the manufacturers website.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011

The easiest solution is to buy a SSD that comes with a "notebook installation kit". Look for a box that says "installation kit included". They cost a bit more but it is worth it if time is a value to you.