Info Swapped hardware, Windows 10 booted (unintended)

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
We had a laptop with W10 die, Intel i3-4005U mobile CPU on 8 Series chipset. Removed the hard drive (SSD) in order to get user data from it, plugged into my own desktop system (Intel Pentium Gxxxx with H97 chipset) on SATA #4. When powered the system on, I missed the Boot Menu prompt and it went straight into booting from the laptop drive. It's strange because I run W7 on my desktop system, with Secure Boot disabled. The laptop was configured with Secure Boot ENABLED. It still jumped straight into booting from the laptop drive.

After entering some kind of Configuration/Safe Mode, it detected a bunch of new hardware, gave a progress 'percentage' indicator. I just left it alone, it restarted the system automatically, and continued to load W10 all the way to Windows User Login. Selected my Admin account and it booted to the desktop, continuing to find some new devices.

I checked and Windows is still activated! Granted the change was from Haswell to Haswell Refresh (4th to 5th Gen), not a big leap but very different graphics (Intel to AMD). Everything just works.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
We had a laptop with W10 die, Intel i3-4005U mobile CPU on 8 Series chipset. Removed the hard drive (SSD) in order to get user data from it, plugged into my own desktop system (Intel Pentium Gxxxx with H97 chipset) on SATA #4. When powered the system on, I missed the Boot Menu prompt and it went straight into booting from the laptop drive. It's strange because I run W7 on my desktop system, with Secure Boot disabled. The laptop was configured with Secure Boot ENABLED. It still jumped straight into booting from the laptop drive.

After entering some kind of Configuration/Safe Mode, it detected a bunch of new hardware, gave a progress 'percentage' indicator. I just left it alone, it restarted the system automatically, and continued to load W10 all the way to Windows User Login. Selected my Admin account and it booted to the desktop, continuing to find some new devices.

I checked and Windows is still activated! Granted the change was from Haswell to Haswell Refresh (4th to 5th Gen), not a big leap but very different graphics (Intel to AMD). Everything just works.
5th gen was actually Broadwell, when used on a H97 chipset. Haswell refresh was still 4th gen. Now 5th gen was also Haswell-E, but that was on X99 chipset, on the 2011v3 socket.

Reactions: tcsenter