Swap/thrift swap finds.

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
Just wanted to see if there is any swap shop, thrift store or pawn shop junkies out there also. Looking to see what treasures you found or what you collect. Me like alot of people old stuff mostly tool or shop stuff anything cool to me.

Moved from The Garage.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
A old 1920s Listerine bottle I found the cork was mine. From what I read they switch to screw tops around 1920. My big 50 cent find. That and a couple old Bonney wrenches. 2.50$ only a few vendors. Small town maarket20200602_214044.jpg

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
A lot of my clothes from Thrift stores. Lol.

We like farm auctions. I have some tractor implements, an sk 1/2 socket set for 20 bucks. A nice post vice that was buried in a pile on a choice bid. Vintage metal outdoor chairs. Got them powder coated. You have to watch for the one money bids though, sometimes you end up with a bunch of crap to haul off for one good item.
c705983bfe8d42364a09d5018e42e31c.jpg

Reactions: Sqyards

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
Do you have any pics of sockets and vise I'm a small vise junkie lol. I'm in a mostly retirement town in south Florida kinda in the middle just above lake Okeechobee (the big hole in maps. Lol) a couple lil vises I'm working on20200602_222728.jpg

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
A lot of my clothes from Thrift stores. Lol.

We like farm auctions. I have some tractor implements, an sk 1/2 socket set for 20 bucks. A nice post vice that was buried in a pile on a choice bid. Vintage metal outdoor chairs. Got them powder coated. You have to watch for the one money bids though, sometimes you end up with a bunch of crap to haul off for one good item.
c705983bfe8d42364a09d5018e42e31c.jpg
Chairs look good

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
A Columbian made in USA. And the post vice just says 8 on it. I think it it very old.
14bc07e4d97dd381f25fb2bfd3076524.jpg

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
A Columbian made in USA. And the post vice just says 8 on it. I think it it very old.
14bc07e4d97dd381f25fb2bfd3076524.jpg
I like the old post vice, would love to restore it and put it in small collection it looks cool to me.. I'm also really interested in the sk sockets if you have a pic. Not sure how you want the $ sent by mail, to a walmart, pony express lol

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
Not for sale, just a mismatch set of sk sockets.
That's cool I've been slowly putting a set together is sk. I'd you ever decide to sell the post vise let me know. I'd your ever looking for something and can't find it hollar it might be down here in FLA. Lol

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
That's cool I've been slowly putting a set together is sk. I'd you ever decide to sell the post vise let me know. I'd your ever looking for something and can't find it hollar it might be down here in FLA. Lol

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020
Just wanted to see if there is any swap shop, thrift store or pawn shop junkies out there also. Looking to see what treasures you found or what you collect. Me like alot of people old stuff mostly tool or shop stuff anything cool to me.

Moved from The Garage.
admin allisolm
Sorry was trying to get some tool talk going and see what vintage tool where found at markets. It didn't work out to well. Lol🔧

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Stumbled across this last fall...

awy.sized.jpg

We'd seen it in a field next to a small shack-style restaurant...tried to buy it from the owner...he wouldn't sell.
A couple of months later...he went out of businesd...shame because the food was good.
New owner was there clearing the field...we stopped and asked about the anchor. "If you van get it out of here in the next 30 minutes, you can have it.
Fucker weighs 400-500 lbs, so I ran to the local lumber yard a couple of blocks away. Their yard manager brought their delivery truck and forklift...loaded it and hauled it to my house. When I asked how much I owed him...$20. o_O
I handed him $30...and thanked him.

As near as I can tell, it's an old US Navy landing craft anchor. There was USN training base up the coast a few miles from here...BUT, it's a Danforth anchor, not a traditional "Navy anchor," so I'm NOT 100% positive of its origin.

Oh...the chain is just an old log boom chain that was attached to the anchor...it's not a real anchor chain.

Last edited:

Sqyards

Jun 2, 2020

awy.sized.jpg

We'd seen it in a field next to a small shack-style restaurant...tried to buy it from the owner...he wouldn't sell.
A couple of months later...he went out of businesd...shame because the food was good.
New owner was there clearing the field...we stopped and asked about the anchor. "If you van get it out of here in the next 30 minutes, you can have it.
Fucker weighs 400-500 lbs, so I ran to the local lumber yard a couple of blocks away. Their yard manager brought their delivery truck and forklift...loaded it and hauled it to my house. When I asked how much I owed him...$20. o_O

As near as I can tell, it's an old US Navy landing craft anchor. There was USN training base up the coast a few miles from here.

Oh...the chain is just an old log boom chain that was attached to the anchor...it's not a real anchor chain.
Very cool find. It looks heavy as all hell, cool of the local business to help

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

awy.sized.jpg

As near as I can tell, it's an old US Navy landing craft anchor. There was USN training base up the coast a few miles from here...BUT, it's a Danforth anchor, not a traditional "Navy anchor," so I'm NOT 100% positive of its origin.

Is your wife jealous?

:^P

Covid has kept me out of the thrift stores. Just as well. I don't need anything, so it keeps me from buying stuff cause "the price is too good to pass up"

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Is your wife jealous?

:^P

Covid has kept me out of the thrift stores. Just as well. I don't need anything, so it keeps me from buying stuff cause "the price is too good to pass up"

Jealous? She was thrilled...more so than me. SHE was the driving force to get this thing.

Reactions: lxskllr

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I make a habit of checking for full-tang kitchen knives whenever I'm at our local thrift. You'd be amazed how many really high quality knives are available for 50c because nobody knows how to sharpen things anymore.

Did score a pretty stout ~$120 wheelbarrow for $20. Convenient as I needed at the time.

Lots of easy to obtain cedar usually, from stuff like trellises. Really good for miscellaneous gardening projects.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Swapmeet i often visit on saturday had lots of junk booths. I see this huge silver plate that is like $5 so i buy it, i later inspect it and its sterling silver. I had some dude come to my door and give me $250 cash for it. I had a knack for just knowing when something is sterling silver, a friend called me Silver Fingers cause i would find 2 rolls of 90% silver bu 1964 kennedy half dollars in $20 rolls at face value from a bank. I had a insane run at another bank getting $30 in walking liberty half dollars. I even found a $80 1931-s lincoln wheat cent in XF-40 shape during my coin roll search days.Worth over $150 today i think last i checked.

I miss the coins, getting back into them after i upgrade my computer at end of year. So dang hard to find shops that have any good quality stuff out here. Mostly G-4 trash and common date stuff i can't use. I gotta drive 2 dang hours to find anything useful for sets. I like XF-40 matching sets like Buffalo nickels, 1909-1940 wheat cents. GSA Carson city Morgan silver dollars are fun too. Only issue is most GSA Morgans are bag mark city :(