Swap one AMD AGP card for another?

Hardball

Feb 5, 2003
A family member has an older AGP based system. They have a 9700 Pro that is failing. I have an old but good X800 XTPE AGP in a box. Can I simply just swap out the 9700 for the X800 XT without uninstalling the drivers, as they both will need the same AGP drivers that are already installed on the system. The OS is XP Home. I would just need to uninstall the card from device manager, power down, swap the cards, and power up, right?

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Uninstalling the card from the device manager is going to uninstall the drivers for it. That being said just swapping the cards without doing that will work. You will get to the desktop. If they only thing they are doing is webpages and office work then it should be fine. But it only takes a couple minutes to install a driver and I would 100% go that route.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
No! You must run driver install after a video card switch. Thanks ngoodness you stayed with nvidia. Cuz AMD would pack worms for their drivers

Put it new card boot comp. GEt to desktop. Now run latest driver it will clean for you so just run the setup.. No need for cleaning programs etc,,, This new nVidia interface rocks to. Anyhow .... Enjoy it.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Just download the latest compatable driver from the ATI/AMD website and have it ready so after the power down and swap you can install and be on your merry way.