SW Ohio Questions

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Is it worthwhile to have a pool or is the pool season too short?

Any decent motorcycle rides?

45068.JPG

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i have family members who've had an above ground pool in northern ohio for 20 years.

some hot summers they can swim from may to late september. but in cool summers they only get maybe a month or two because the pool won't warm above 70-71 (which they think is too cold) even with a solar cover.

i also know people who use pool heaters around here and they really extend the usage time of the pool, but those suckers get expensive (i've heard > 1$k/month electricity costs) especially for big pools.

it always seems southern ohio is 10 degrees warmer than up here so it's probably better down there.

Reactions: ctbaars

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I see a lot of people with pools putting hoses on the roof and into the pool and cycle the water that way to heat up the pool. I'm a couple hundred freedom km's up north and pools are only used during late june-early sept, waste of time and resources and money imo unless you really like to sit in a pool a lot.

Reactions: highland145

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Probably need to hop a bit further south to really get full use of a pool. I'm an hour south of Cincy in Lexington. We're considerably more moderate temps and don't get anywhere as cold as Cincy. On any given day we may be 10 degrees warmer than them if not 20 more in the fall/winter. Small pools here open on May 1st and close on October 1st. The larger unheated ones are Memorial day to Labor day. And that's mostly because of lifeguard staffing. Falls have been so warm they easily could have gone through all of September.

Don't know much about Motorcycle travel there. It's flat and boring as shit once you get past the Cincy river bluffs. Bluegrass region down where I'm at is drop dead gorgeous in the spring and fall.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Heading east from Cincinnati there are some really nice rides in southeastern Ohio and northern Kentucky. You have to get over to the hilly country. The ride to Maysville, KY is pretty nice. As vi edit says, the Bluegrass is gorgeous with lots of great rides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_Mound

Last edited:

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
I wouldn't want a pool, went to college in Dayton and in N KY now, it won't stay warm enough for a long enough period.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Browse the overhead view on Google Maps. See how prevalent pools are in the region. I'm thinking a 4 month pool-party window.

magicrat03

Oct 20, 2005
Lots of people have pools here.. depends more on income, yard size, children or if you want the hassle of upkeep for as mentioned depending on the year a four month season. Is it the south or southwest where I guess one can swim outside all year year? No.
Is Cincy really 10 to 20 degrees colder than Lexington? There might be days where it seems that way but on average that is hard to believe as they are only about 80 miles apart. Toledo or Cleveland? 10 degrees maybe.

As far as good rides are you just looking for scenery or places to go? Knee dragging or upright? It is pretty flat excluding SE OH, not Florida flat by any means but there are plenty of nice places to go and roads to take.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
No knee dragging, just some nice scenery on two lane roads.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Explore some covered bridges. My wife and I did a little tour of 10 or so covered bridges in the Dayton area a couple years ago. Probably would make for some good motorcycle rides too.

Bridge map

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
SW Ohio can get really hot and humid during the summer months. You'll be wanting a pool when a heatwave hits.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
In Donnesville visiting daughter. Been looking all over but liking Bellbrook and Beavercreek.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Don't own a pool. Make friend with someone that owns one.

<===Pool slave.