SW Capable of Recording Instances of a Mouse Click along with Timestamp?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
The Skinny: Friend's family (I know, I know, but I do owe them one) printer allegedly double prints. I think they may just double clicking the print icon because the users aren't the most savvy, and it may be happening subconciously, but they believe they aren't doing that.

Is there a SW that has a function that simply logs+timestamps instances of mouse clicks? If they print something at a particular time, and complain about it, perhaps I can review the logs to see if there was a double click event at the time of print (ie: two single clicks less than 1 second apart)?

I did some searching but most of my results seem to be kiddies trying to setup bots for their online games; SW that records a series of actions, and then executes it for the person.

I don't need to do anything other than monitor and log the times and instances of mouseclicks.

Any ideas?

Thanks

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Have them use the keyboard print command for the application.
Usually Ctrl-P

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Could be the mouse itself as well. Number 1 reason I replace people's mice at work is because they start double clicking randomly on single clicks. Most standard issue mice are simply junk.

That being said, I doubt you're going to find something pre-made to do this, but you could easily whip up an app to do it yourself if you have even minimal programming experience. It's literally just creating a mouse listener thats only function when called is to output a timestamp to a log.txt file.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
Try adjusting the double-click interval for the mouse in Control Panel. While testing if that's really the problem, you could set the interval to a really high value.

gitano

Aug 4, 2008
+1 for the mouse itself failing, its very common. And worth a try to swap other mouse there.