SVCHOST uses 100% CPU

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
What's the SVCHOST process that runs in the background in WinXP? I have it running using 100% CPU, it wasn't like that before, it was running normal, but yesterday this problem started to appear, I installed Spy Bot S&D and Ad-aware Plus, but I still have the same problem!
Please help if you can

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
By the way, if I end this task, a small windows appears saying the the PC is shutting down in 60 seconds!
I think it's a critical process :confused:

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I have NAV 2k4 running in the background all the time for auto-protection, and I do a weekly full system scan with the latest definitions, so I don't think it's a virus! Maybe a bug in WinXP?

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
You have applied all of the available patches? (excluding the stupid ones like chinese support if you don't need chinese support of course ;))

FunkierThanU

Jan 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
after you check for virus's, check for spyware

Yeah, there's a lot of spyware that piggyback on SVHost. Some of them are particularly nasty and can bring your system to it's knees. And unfortunately anti-virus doesn't spot that drek.

I had to deal with a batch a user got from downloading on of those lovely 'free' screensavers. That junk was so wedged into her system I had to rip it out via the registry. If you tried killing its processes via Task Managers it'd lock the system, then open up IE and bunch of other bizarre things. Nasty!

azndelite6983

May 27, 2004
Kind of a drastic measure, but a couple of times my comp has had those 100% cpu usage problems with windows processes and both time the problem has been solved by reformatting and clean installing winxp.

Funny tho, the problem crops up about every 6 months...maybe it's M$ way of telling me to actually BUY winxp...

Redviffer

Oct 30, 2002
...or be more careful of what is installed. I've had winxp installed on several systems with no problems for quite some time, but I don't install a bunch of stuff on them. I was just talking with a friend and he was telling me the same thing: his system is slow, etc. and that he installs and uninstalls all kinds of free stuff to try it out.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
<AOL Voice > You've Got Worm! </AOL Voice>

Reformat and get all your patches from behind a firewall.

- M4H

Blaster or Sasser or something like that.

If it says it's shutting down, try typing this command in the Run textbox:
shutdown -a
That'll try to abort the shutdown; may or may not work.

One way to nuke the worm is to, FIRST, get another computer with good antivirus software that is UPDATED, and put the infected hard drive in it, and scan it that way. It's somewhat risky of course, as you risk infecting the good PC, but with good AV software, it should be ok.

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by: PrayForDeath
I have NAV 2k4 running in the background all the time for auto-protection, and I do a weekly full system scan with the latest definitions, so I don't think it's a virus! Maybe a bug in WinXP?

A AntiVirus Detection program is only as good when the virus is known to the company. There are a lot of people out there that re-writes the virus that the AntiVirus programs don't have updates yet. I'll try to run another AV program to double check.

Psych

Feb 3, 2004
Svchost only manages services, I think. Multiple instances of the program perform various service related functions. Run tasklist /svc to see what services are being manages/hosted, and try to turn off the ones that aren't legitimate.

Vernor

Sep 9, 2001
Actually, svchost problems could be ralated to driver issues.

Most worms show up with their own excutable.

There are tools like pstat that can really help with diagnosing this kind of thing.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I downloaded some windows updates (Bulletin or something like that) that were supposed to deal with worms, now the computer runs great. But I am wondering, aren't worms supposed to prevent the system from downloading any windows update? How was I able to update mine?
Anyway, thank you so much guys.