SUV's aren't bad...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: NFS4
I also don't hear you people bitching about the millions of 70-80 year old grandmas and grandpas that drive around in their HUGE V8 powered, land yacht, 8 MPG 70's vintage battlecruisers. I know you all have seen 'em on the road. They're everywhere cutting people off and drving 55MPH in the 65MPH zone.

And what about the old folks in their huge "newer" Lincoln Town Cars and Grand Marquis? Usually, its only the husband and wife driving this HUGE battle axe.

But they have the right to buy whatever they want so I don't bust their balls about it.

Millions? I see very few old cars in Houston, and in Austin, it's all Civics and BMWs.
People have the right to buy what they want and I have the right to bust their balls.

There is more to it than "people buy what they want". Now imagine importing only half the oil we now do. That puts us in a different position in the world doesn't it? No wait.. there is no way what people choose to buy can affect the world around them! Silly me.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I also don't hear you people bitching about the millions of 70-80 year old grandmas and grandpas that drive around in their HUGE V8 powered, land yacht, 8 MPG 70's vintage battlecruisers. I know you all have seen 'em on the road. They're everywhere cutting people off and drving 55MPH in the 65MPH zone.

And what about the old folks in their huge "newer" Lincoln Town Cars and Grand Marquis? Usually, its only the husband and wife driving this HUGE battle axe.

But they have the right to buy whatever they want so I don't bust their balls about it.

The guy in the ferrari didn't call a radio show, complaining of poor fuel economy.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
Originally posted by: PreDatoR
y'all just have to bitch about everything don't you... I have a 72 Chevy truck with a 350HP v8 thats get 12mpg i drive it daily... I also USE my truck for hauling sh!t around and pulling trailers. come to my house and bitch at me cause i drive a gas hog and you'll have a shotgun stuffed in your mouth. It isn't any of your FVCKING BUSINESS what people drive... Damn tree huggers need to be SHOT!

READ THE THREAD. NO ONE HATES PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY USE THEIR TRUCKS. For Christ's sake....
You should hate SUV and yuppie truck people even more than we do for making you look bad. You use your truck, they don't.

We would all be better off if people who made use of their vehicles didn't take the side of apathetic suburban trash.

By your definition, people who buy Ferraris and don't drive them at 180 MPH make people who DO drive their Ferraris at 180MPH look bad.
Or, if you buy a Honda Accord and don't fill it up with 4 passengers, you're "wasting space

Comeon, this discussion is circular in logic and has no right/wrong answer. People buy what they want, people do what they want. BIG DEAL!

There is a difference between not filling an Accord with 4 people and not towing with an SUV. With an Accord, the ability to carry 4 or 5 people comes with little or no penalty to fuel economy or emissions, compared with a 2 seater like a Miata. A Ferrari is a different story, but the fact is that a Ferrari will be driven maybe 100 miles per year, and the numbers are so miniscule that it doesn't matter what mileage they get. The same thing applies to 700hp hot rods. The problem with SUVs is their number. Something like 52% of new cars sold last year were SUVs. That's a problem, just like it would be a problem if 52% of new cars sold were 400hp Ferraris.

That 52% number is bull crap. The most vehicles sold in America are pickups by far. Ford sold 900,000+ F-Series trucks, GM sold 800,000+ Silverados/Sierras, Dodge sold 400,000+ Rams, and Toyota sold 106,000 Tundras.

Also, every SUV meets or exceeds the governments standards for emissions. The fact that someone chooses an SUV that gets less gas mileage than a sedan is their perrogative.

And what's this bullcrap about an Accord being able to handle 4 people with little or no emissions/mileage hit?? Bull crap. An Accord is susceptable to increased fuel consumption due to more weight just like any other vehicle. If the average person weight 150 lbs (x 4 people), that's 600 pounds. An extra 600 pounds is going to make ANY engine work harder and reduce mileage. The hit would be GREATER for the Accord than it would be for an SUV with and engine that has power to spare.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BDawg

The guy in the ferrari didn't call a radio show, complaining of poor fuel economy.

And your point is? Dumb people call into radio shows everday.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
y'all just have to bitch about everything don't you... I have a 72 Chevy truck with a 350HP v8 thats get 12mpg i drive it daily... I also USE my truck for hauling sh!t around and pulling trailers. come to my house and bitch at me cause i drive a gas hog and you'll have a shotgun stuffed in your mouth. It isn't any of your FVCKING BUSINESS what people drive... Damn tree huggers need to be SHOT!

READ THE THREAD. NO ONE HATES PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY USE THEIR TRUCKS. For Christ's sake....
You should hate SUV and yuppie truck people even more than we do for making you look bad. You use your truck, they don't.

We would all be better off if people who made use of their vehicles didn't take the side of apathetic suburban trash.

By your definition, people who buy Ferraris and don't drive them at 180 MPH make people who DO drive their Ferraris at 180MPH look bad.
Or, if you buy a Honda Accord and don't fill it up with 4 passengers, you're "wasting space

Comeon, this discussion is circular in logic and has no right/wrong answer. People buy what they want, people do what they want. BIG DEAL!

There is a difference between not filling an Accord with 4 people and not towing with an SUV. With an Accord, the ability to carry 4 or 5 people comes with little or no penalty to fuel economy or emissions, compared with a 2 seater like a Miata. A Ferrari is a different story, but the fact is that a Ferrari will be driven maybe 100 miles per year, and the numbers are so miniscule that it doesn't matter what mileage they get. The same thing applies to 700hp hot rods. The problem with SUVs is their number. Something like 52% of new cars sold last year were SUVs. That's a problem, just like it would be a problem if 52% of new cars sold were 400hp Ferraris.

That 52% number is bull crap. The most vehicles sold in America are pickups by far. Ford sold 900,000+ F-Series trucks, GM sold 800,000+ Silverados/Sierras, Dodge sold 400,000+ Rams, and Toyota sold 106,000 Tundras.

Also, every SUV meets or exceeds the governments standards for emissions. The fact that someone chooses an SUV that gets less gas mileage than a sedan is their perrogative.

And what's this bullcrap about an Accord being able to handle 4 people with little or no emissions/mileage hit?? Bull crap. An Accord is susceptable to increased fuel consumption due to more weight just like any other vehicle. If the average person weight 150 lbs (x 4 people), that's 600 pounds. An extra 600 pounds is going to make ANY engine work harder and reduce mileage. The hit would be GREATER for the Accord than it would be for an SUV with and engine that has power to spare.

Ummm.. I was saying that the penalty for having those extra seats for when you need them is small, not when transporting people.... It's not like an SUV when having the ability to tow every once in a while makes it weigh twice as much as a car.

PreDatoR

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Predator - Chill out man. Anyone who needs a truck, of course, should have one. The person who started this thread was talking about the moms who get SUVs that chug gas like a biatch, and how they don't need them. And about how they complain when they get low gas mileage.

What business is it of yours or anyone elses? It isn't your business. Anyone can buy any vehicle that their heart desires. Its their money their business stay out of it!

PreDatoR

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: js1973
PreDatoR

So how are things in the trailer park these days?

Why don't you tell me? Since i don't live in one nor will i ever i haven't got a clue. I prefer older trucks to the newer stuff thats out. they knew how to make a vehicle in the 70's this crap now is just that CRAP!

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Those old people are doing everything they can to keep themselves alive for one more week. That's why they surround themselves with so much protective metal! Besides, I don't see too many of those anymore. Crown Vic's get something like 22-24 mpg anyway, more than double that of the Excursion.

PreDatoR

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
If the dude was so worried about fuel mileage... why didn't he just buy a Excursion with the Power stroke in it... Problem solved there 16-20mpg vs the gutsless gas hog V10... someone had their head up their ass when they bought it.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Predator - Chill out man. Anyone who needs a truck, of course, should have one. The person who started this thread was talking about the moms who get SUVs that chug gas like a biatch, and how they don't need them. And about how they complain when they get low gas mileage.

What business is it of yours or anyone elses? It isn't your business. Anyone can buy any vehicle that their heart desires. Its their money their business stay out of it!

It's my business when I can't see around you on the road, or when I can't get out of my car because you hog up the whole parking space, or because you kill my family when you hit them. It's also everyone's business when there is only so much oil to go around. Debate all you want about exactly how much oil there is left, it doesn't matter. It WILL run out. And since no one is really making any great strides in the development of alternative energy sources, we need to save as much as we can.

Besides, you have the right to buy whatever you want. I have the right to think you're an idiot.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Ummm.. I was saying that the penalty for having those extra seats for when you need them is small, not when transporting people.... It's not like an SUV when having the ability to tow every once in a while makes it weigh twice as much as a car.

Again, your argument is not holding much weight here. MOST SUV's sold don't weigh twice as much as sedans. There are always exceptions to the rule.

[Sales through Nov '02]

Best selling car in America: Toyota Camry (403,136): 3,362 lbs
Best selling SUV in America: Ford Explorer (395,202): 4242 lbs

That's HARDLY "twice" the weight. My dad drives a Toyota Highlander Limited SUV. It's based on the Camry, weighs 3,800 lbs, and get about 22 MPG with the 220HP V6.

PreDatoR

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph

It's my business when I can't see around you on the road, or when I can't get out of my car because you hog up the whole parking space, or because you kill my family when you hit them. It's also everyone's business when there is only so much oil to go around. Debate all you want about exactly how much oil there is left, it doesn't matter. It WILL run out. And since no one is really making any great strides in the development of alternative energy sources, we need to save as much as we can.

Besides, you have the right to buy whatever you want. I have the right to think you're an idiot.

Don't like it don't drive or buy a bigger vehicle... My family car is a little Hyundai Excel... It gets 40mpg I sure don't have much trouble seeing around anything out on the road... Maybe if you pulled your head out of your ass you could see a little bit better? Ya think?

I'm shopping around right now for a 97-98 Expidition... I have snowmobiles i pull in the winter and quads in the summer... Would be nice to go to the mountains and put everyone in one vehicle and not have to take 2 cause my truck only seats 3 safely and normally 4-5 go when we go riding. But we only go maybe 1-2 times a month rest of the time its just a mommy vehicle for running around town and road trips... still love to have you come knock on my door and bitch about my vehicle size...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Everything you just said can be applied to full-size pickups which weigh JUST as much as SUVs, are typically longer in length and sometimes wider in width. Let's complain about them too
rolleye.gif

Or how about complaining about minivans "blocking" your view or "cargo vans" like the Chevy Astro/Express, Ford Econoline, GMC Savanna, etc. The point is, if you have problem driving around SUVs, then you need to go back to driving school...god forbid you get behind a semi on the highway...you might crawl down into the footwell of your Geo Metro and cry yourself to sleep.

I personally know how to drive vehicle from as small as my old Pontiac Sunbird to vehicles as large as my dad's Ford F-150 4x4 long bed. I know how to maneuver around vehicle larger than me and how to approach them. If YOU can't, that's your problem.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Don't like it don't drive or buy a bigger vehicle... My family car is a little Hyundai Excel... It gets 40mpg I sure don't have much trouble seeing around anything out on the road... Maybe if you pulled your head out of your ass you could see a little bit better? Ya think?

rolleye.gif
Yeah, I'll just stop driving. Or I'll just buy a bigger vehicle to compete with you. That's what everyone needs to do, compete with the Joneses to buy the biggest thing there is! Then everyone will have a Ford Excursion, and won't that just be blissful?

PreDatoR

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Yeah, I'll just stop driving. Or I'll just buy a bigger vehicle to compete with you. That's what everyone needs to do, compete with the Joneses to buy the biggest thing there is! Then everyone will have a Ford Excursion, and won't that just be blissful?

Yeah it would then it would mean there weren't in Dodge's or Chevy's out on the road :D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why does everyone keep raggin' on the Excursion anyway. Ford is killing the damn thing this year anyway...

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
i love my 15 mpg v8 in a small car
serves no useful purpose at all.... except to bring a smile to my face :D

falconx80

Jan 23, 2000
the guy can buy whatever car he wants, but its obvious to me that he didn't research his vehicle before he bought it. Cause, why else would he be complaining about the gas mileage?

And it seems to me that he bought the vehicle not out of needyness but out of pure size and power. so remember always, research before you buy.

PreDatoR

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Why does everyone keep raggin' on the Excursion anyway. Ford is killing the damn thing this year anyway...

I was wondering about that myself...

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
I"m seeing a lot of those Hummer H2s around lately, I like them but it's certainly not practical for driving around town unless you live in Alaska.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: no0b
Why do you guys always care what other people drive.

They pollute heavily, they use alot of gas, if in an accident with a car the person in the car has little chance, alot of dumbass SUV drivers drive 60 on icey roads causing major pileups. They have a tendancy to flip.

Don't forget blocking the view on the road. That's my major peeve. I don't care if they flip, that's their problem.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Again, your argument is not holding much weight here. MOST SUV's sold don't weigh twice as much as sedans. There are always exceptions to the rule.

[Sales through Nov '02]

Best selling car in America: Toyota Camry (403,136): 3,362 lbs
Best selling SUV in America: Ford Explorer (395,202): 4242 lbs

That's HARDLY "twice" the weight. My dad drives a Toyota Highlander Limited SUV. It's based on the Camry, weighs 3,800 lbs, and get about 22 MPG with the 220HP V6.
Highlander is just Camry Wagon. So it's not really an SUV. The only problem I have with the highlander is the high beltline, so I can't see through it on the road. Most SUV's are around 5000 lbs, too rigid, and with bumpers too high for my car's safety systems to do their job.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: no0b
Why do you guys always care what other people drive.

They pollute heavily, they use alot of gas, if in an accident with a car the person in the car has little chance, alot of dumbass SUV drivers drive 60 on icey roads causing major pileups. They have a tendancy to flip.

Don't forget blocking the view on the road. That's my major peeve. I don't care if they flip, that's their problem.

Blocking your view? I'd hate to see you on a road filled with minivans, pickups, and cargo vans...let alone big rigs (semis).

Highlander is just Camry Wagon. So it's not really an SUV.

So I guess the Pilot is an Accord Wagon?

The only problem I have with the highlander is the high beltline, so I can't see through it on the road.

Grow some balls. Did you fail driver's ed?