Suspicious devices found on power lines in Massachusetts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Perhaps the figured out a way to detonate them remotely, like a microwave beam or one of those arcing cascade things that zip down the lines arcing between wires. I think Rubycon said that vandals were triggering them deliberately in Russia or something.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
From last night's news they seemed to be on the high power lines not the residential type.

I know, but the first thing you would need to know if you were planning to cut power lines up with a bomb is whether you have a way to get one up on the lines in the first place. All the tennis shoes hanging from my neighborhood lines would suggest an idea to test. I wouldn't want to do a live bomb test.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
The news report paraphrased the FBI as saying the cutting device was "manually" activated. I pictured pulling a piece of tape off the switch with kite string from the ground and then running away. It's of course smart for them not to say a whole lot about the what, why, and how.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I know, but the first thing you would need to know if you were planning to cut power lines up with a bomb is whether you have a way to get one up on the lines in the first place. All the tennis shoes hanging from my neighborhood lines would suggest an idea to test. I wouldn't want to do a live bomb test.

Not a bomb, a cutting torch. Easy to make and test in the back yard.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Devices that authorities say looked like pipe bombs but were not explosive...
So....pipes
The later part is what caught my eye:

Shaw says multiple incendiary devices "similar in structure to pipe bombs" were found on the lines.
The FBI said Thursday the devices didn't have the components necessary to cause an explosion.
"Incendiary devices" without incendiaries.

So.....devices.

Nunchucks?
Viral marketing campaign for a new TMNT movie. :awe:

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
We'll forgive me then. I don't spend a lot of time on these things since I like my power on.

Forgiven. :)

It would have helped if the article linked in the OP wasn't the usual garbage news paragraph.

Cliffs: Someone tried to cut power lines with homemade thermite (or similar) cutting torches. Because they are idiots, they failed and only managed to start a brush fire.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Forgiven. :)

It would have helped if the article linked in the OP wasn't the usual garbage news paragraph.

Cliffs: Someone tried to cut power lines with homemade thermite (or similar) cutting torches. Because they are idiots, they failed and only managed to start a brush fire.

Wouldn't it be way easier just to blow up/knock down one or two of the towers holding the lines up? I'm still really curious how they got them up there and if they had to be manually ignited how they planned on doing that.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Wouldn't it be way easier just to blow up/knock down one or two of the towers holding the lines up? I'm still really curious how they got them up there and if they had to be manually ignited how they planned on doing that.

The towers are far more robust than the cable itself.

There is a pretty substantial interest in playing with thermite, Tannerite, etc. as a hobby, so I'm guessing the goal here was not simply to disrupt electrical power, but to disrupt power in a fun and interesting way.