Sushi/Sashimi grade tuna $10.45/lbs + OVERNIGHT shipping

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chiggachu

Jan 27, 2001
Originally posted by: SammyBoy
Originally posted by: crumpet19
on a slightly different note...
how the hell do you make an inside out roll?
do you just lay out the nori, spread the rice, flip it over and lay out ingredients and roll it up backwards?

and where can I buy some masago?

For an inside out roll, here's how I do it. Dunno if it's the right way but it works for me:
spread the rice on your nori the same way as normal, but do the whole thing, don't leave any gaps on the edges and try and make it uniform. Then wrap seran wrap around your sushi mat thingy with all of the creases on 1 side so 1 side is just 1 layer of seran wrap. Now lay your rice/nori combo rice down on the smooth side, put ur goodies on the inside, roll up and squeeze. Your rice shouldn't stick to the plastic wrap too bad.

Masago....i dunno, just hunt around for a shop run by 5 slanty eyed people who you dont understand, walk up to the oldest one and say MA-SA-GO a few times, shouldnt be too tough.

I'm a chef in the Sushi club at my college:

You spread rice over most of the nori, leaving 1/4-1/2 inch of space on the edge. The key here is SESAME SEEDS. White ones are good, but a black and white mixture is great! spread evenly all over the rice side and then place saran wrap on top of the entire side. Flip the whole thing over and onto the mat, add ingredients to nori side, then roll as usual, tucking the exposed nori edge under the other edge. Hope that helps...

mhoytech

Jan 18, 2003
It would seem to me that buying from day boats rather than the trolling fish factories is the answer. Floating fish factories are generally at sea for weeks at a time, filling up their hulls with dead fish of several varieties. They are then processed and frozen. It still does not make it a safe product. I think I would want to take my chances with something fresh and only a day old.

wjones

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: mhoytech
It would seem to me that buying from day boats rather than the trolling fish factories is the answer. Floating fish factories are generally at sea for weeks at a time, filling up their hulls with dead fish of several varieties. They are then processed and frozen. It still does not make it a safe product. I think I would want to take my chances with something fresh and only a day old.
But the day boats won't get tuna, right? Aren't tuna only can be found in deep sea? (correct me if I'm wrong)

dgodwin

May 8, 2001
I don't make sushi, but the fish and inverts in my reef tank (think finding nemo) love nori.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
That site inspired me to try sea urchin (uni). It was pretty interesting, nice texture and a sweet taste, but it had a slightly bitter after taste. The server told me that it was normal to have a bitter after taste. Does anyone know here if that is normal, did I get a good sample?