Survivors Benefit, Social Security. How much?

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
I collect Social security Disability for me and my son. If I were to die how much if any would my wife get? I know my son will get his current amount but how much would my wife get?

Sorry but I do not want to call Social Security, I have my reasons. If anyone has any idea please let me know.

I tried the website but I can't figure it out.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I think you are going to have to call because it will be based on your income history.

In my case, when my wife died I got the survivor's benefit which is.....drum roll....$255.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: jadinolf
I think you are going to have to call because it will be based on your income history.

In my case, when my wife died I got the survivor's benefit which is.....drum roll....$255.

Per week or per month?

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: KLin

Per week or per month?

One time. :(

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002

Per week or per month?

Ouch, was she not working?

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003

Per week or per month?

I don't mean the Standard $255 they give just about everyone, I mean the monthly payments. I'm 33 my son is 7 we get social Security Disabiltiy payments. I was wondering would my wife get my payment if I die? I know my son would until he his 18.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: OulOat

Per week or per month?

Ouch, was she not working?

It wouldn't matter.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Epoman

Per week or per month?

I don't mean the Standard $255 they give just about everyone, I mean the monthly payments. I'm 33 my son is 7 we get social Security Disabiltiy payments. I was wondering would my wife get my payment if I die? I know my son would until he his 18.

I understood your question. You will have to check with the feds.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
SS Link - Survivor Benifits

How much are benefits?
How much your family can get from Social Security depends on your average lifetime earnings. That means the more you have earned, the more their benefits will be. You should check your Social Security Statement, which is sent each year to every worker age 25 or older. The Statement gives an estimate of survivors benefits that could be paid, as well as an estimate of retirement and disability benefits and other important information.

One-time death payment
There is a one-time payment of $255 that can be made when you die if you have worked long enough. This payment can be made only to your spouse or minor children if they meet certain requirements.

How much will I receive?
The benefit amount is based on the earnings of the person who died. The more the worker paid into Social Security, the greater your benefits will be.

Social Security uses the deceased worker?s basic benefit amount and calculates what percentage survivors are entitled to. The percentage depends on the survivors? ages and relationship to the worker. Here are the most typical situations:

A widow or widower, at full retirement age or older, receives 100 percent of the worker?s basic benefit amount
A widow or widower, age 60 or older, but under full retirement age, receives about 71-99 percent of the worker?s basic benefit amount; or
A widow or widower, any age, with a child under age 16, receives 75 percent of the worker?s benefit amount.
Children receive 75 percent of the worker?s benefit amount.
Maximum family benefits
There is a limit to the benefits that can be paid to you and other family members each month. The limit varies, but is generally between 150 and 180 percent of the deceased?s benefit amount.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Sorry but I do not want to call Social Security, I have my reasons. If anyone has any idea please let me know.

I don't blame you. That's like calling your insurance agent and saying "So, incidentally, if I were to get into a car accident..."

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: jagec

I don't blame you. That's like calling your insurance agent and saying "So, incidentally, if I were to get into a car accident..."

:thumbsup:

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec

...or if I were to burn my house down...............

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
SS Link - Survivor Benifits

How much are benefits?
How much your family can get from Social Security depends on your average lifetime earnings. That means the more you have earned, the more their benefits will be. You should check your Social Security Statement, which is sent each year to every worker age 25 or older. The Statement gives an estimate of survivors benefits that could be paid, as well as an estimate of retirement and disability benefits and other important information.

One-time death payment
There is a one-time payment of $255 that can be made when you die if you have worked long enough. This payment can be made only to your spouse or minor children if they meet certain requirements.

How much will I receive?
The benefit amount is based on the earnings of the person who died. The more the worker paid into Social Security, the greater your benefits will be.

Social Security uses the deceased worker?s basic benefit amount and calculates what percentage survivors are entitled to. The percentage depends on the survivors? ages and relationship to the worker. Here are the most typical situations:

A widow or widower, at full retirement age or older, receives 100 percent of the worker?s basic benefit amount
A widow or widower, age 60 or older, but under full retirement age, receives about 71-99 percent of the worker?s basic benefit amount; or
A widow or widower, any age, with a child under age 16, receives 75 percent of the worker?s benefit amount.
Children receive 75 percent of the worker?s benefit amount.
Maximum family benefits
There is a limit to the benefits that can be paid to you and other family members each month. The limit varies, but is generally between 150 and 180 percent of the deceased?s benefit amount.

Thanks, So I suppose that means my wife will get 75% of the money I receive, and my son would still get his current amount.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000

Thanks, So I suppose that means my wife will get 75% of the money I receive, and my son would still get his current amount.

I still think you should call before you decide to end it all. Remember, these figures could be wrong. ;)

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
When my Dad's wife died only my youngest brother (now 15) got any benefits from SS. My dad and other siblings (older than 18) did not.

edit: my Dad is still of working age so does not collect for himself yet either

Epoman

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: flot

I still think you should call before you decide to end it all. Remember, these figures could be wrong. ;)

;)