Surviving in the Jungle, According to Maxim

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Just read the issue with that Cuthbert girl on the cover. It was giving tips on surviving in various situations, and one was if you had a nasty cut and it got infected, let the flies get into it, cover up the infection. Then after a few days, maggots will start coming out of the wound. Then wash the wound with clean water. WTF? The rest of the article was giving good sounding advices that I've heard elsewhere before, so why would it suddenly turn sarcastic? Or is there a definite reason why you'd do that?

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Maggots eat dead/infected flesh. They used to use them medically, other than that I dunno.

- Kevin

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
That is actually a good idea. The maggots will eat the dead and infected flesh and stop it from spreading. It may sound gross but it could save your life.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
But even if you wash the wound thoroughly, it can't get all the maggots right? And if you leave them there, wouldn't they continue eating your...umm....fresh flesh too?

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
No they can't eat live flesh. And maggots get pretty big, you should be able to pick them all out.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
They still use maggots in some locations where its hard to come by antibiotics (or all the bugs have become resistant)

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
I seem to recall reading an article recently where maggots were officially adopted in (english?) hospitals because it was a cheaper and more effective alternative.

dfi

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Wow, that's interesting. Yay for Maxim for having stuff about girls, sex, and remotely useful facts. :)

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Not exactly the best advice. There are only a few (or one?) species of fly whose larvae ONLY eat dead flesh - namely, the greenbottle species. Maggots of other species, like the screw worm fly, enjoy live flesh.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
maggots are possibly the BEST thing to clean wounds....n00b

I also heard that antibiotics and other artifical medicine will stop working in the future and allow for maggots to really show their power as a helpful tool

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Originally posted by: MindStorm
Then after a few days, maggots will start coming out of the wound. Then wash the wound with clean water.

I think if you had access to clean water it probably wouldn't have gotten infected in the first place.

bsmithy

Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by: MindStorm
Wow, that's interesting. Yay for Maxim for having stuff about girls, sex, and remotely useful facts. :)

you need to watch "danger: 50,000 volts" and "danger: incoming attack"

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: MAME
maggots are possibly the BEST thing to clean wounds....n00b

I also heard that antibiotics and other artifical medicine will stop working in the future and allow for maggots to really show their power as a helpful tool
"n00b"? WTF?

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
I've seen them used on Discovery Channel a few times to clean out the wounds of people with bad diabetes, since it takes them a really long time to heal.

My solution to getting a deep cut in the jungle is to stay the heck out of any jungles!! I'll take my vacations in the concrete jungles of Las Vegas and Manhattan, thank you very much :)