Surgeon leaves patient on the table to go to the bank

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yahoo news article

At first glance, this is simple--the surgeon is a wacko. I agree.

But this article hints at an even larger issue--how the hell do banks get off keeping the ridiculous hours they keep? A lot of banks are closed on weekends and their weekday hours are like 10:00AM-4:00PM
I mean who the hell can get to the bank during those hours if they work a normal day job?!
WTF!

astriy

Jun 11, 2001
for a harvard guy, he's not very smart.

and how does someone with a surgeon's salary live paycheck to paycheck?

like I said, not very smart.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: astriy
for a harvard guy, he's not very smart.

and how does someone with a surgeon's salary live paycheck to paycheck?

like I said, not very smart.

There is an inverse relationship between being "Book Smart" and having "Common Sense."
I know a lot of people who were "book smart" enough to go to places like Harvard, MIT, Yale, U Penn, Princeton, yet from a common sense perspective, they are utter morons.
They know how to do open heart surgery, but they can't figure out simple stuff like how to dim the dashboard lights in their car (true story--I have a friend who was a CompSci major at MIT and one day came in and said her dashboard lights had died. I asked her if maybe she just accidentally hit the dimmer and darkened them. She didn't even know such a thing existed!).

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Someone making that kind of cash should definitely have an assistant doing that kind of work. :)

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

Bank hours are totally wack.

Like 9am to 12pm

Closed for 2 hours

2pm to 4pm (drive thru only)

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Geez, what if something had gone wrong while he was at the bank? Not the smartest thing that surgeon has even done.
rolleye.gif

Michael1897

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2002
that's why you are supposed to have a trophy wife to handle this kinda stuff for you.
Wonder if the doc ever heard of direct deposit.

then again maybe the trophy wife was the reason for the over due bills

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You want pissy hours? Try getting to the post office in a small town when you work 9:00-5:00.

Christ.

Hours - M-F 9:00-11:00, 1:00-4:00
Sat - 9:30-11:30

And they want to reduce the hours!!!!

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
where the hell do you guys bank?

I use Wells Fargo and my bank is open 7 days a week 10-7pm during the week and saturday, and 11-5 on sunday.

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
I was very happy when my bank here decided to open till 5pm weekdays and open until noon on Saturday. but of course that doesn't quite help cuz I'd sleep in until noon on Saturdays... I have directdeposit anyways, so that don't matter... and the ATM machine is 24 hrs.

Jan 18, 2001
2 words:

electronic deposit.

Geez that doc aint got no sense at all. What a dumbass! Surgeon or no, he should be smart enough to figure out how to manage his basic finances.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have direct deposit and just use MAC for withdrawals. My bank used to have at least the drive thru open until 9PM 7 days a week and it was one of their biggest selling points, but they have since cut back.

Anyway, I think it's nuts what the surgeon did, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to use it to take a dig at one of those little nuisances that seems to annoy many people but there really isn't anything you can do about it :)

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Allfirst has banks that are open until 6:30-7:00. I can't remember which.

I don't think I would want a doctor working on me the whole time without taking a break. The problem I see is that the guy had to scrub in again which accounts for good chunk of that 35 minute time period.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The hospital where my fiancee works at, you are REQUIRED to have ED. There is no other option. You want a paycheck? You give them a bank account number to have it dumped into. They also get paid once a month which really sucks :(