Surge? uh-huh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Iraq will not be calm until another strongman like Saddam takes over. The dynamics are such that Sunni will never live under the Shi'a "Dogs" and Shi'a will not give up their new found power that comes with a 65% majority. The Kurds will not surrender their new found independence without a lot of blood remembering years of second class status. Second we pull out civil war. What a waste.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yep. The fvcked up thing is there are still hard core right wingnuts that support the Iraq invasion and reasons behind it. How many lives lost? How many maimed for life? How much money wasted? Mission Accomplished indeed. :thumbsdown:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
To many, to much. Like General Odom said before it even started greatest strategic disaster in our history. My only question is when do we get to fight the fundis in Chicago or NYC or can we keep it over there.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
To many, to much. Like General Odom said before it even started greatest strategic disaster in our history. My only question is when do we get to fight the fundis in Chicago or NYC or can we keep it over there.

I hope it never comes to that. I also hope we aren't getting Iraq2 in Afghanistan. :\

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I hope it never comes to that. I also hope we aren't getting Iraq2 in Afghanistan. :\

Little different. Different dynamic. Different people. Workable but requires major shift in tactics (tribal embedded, protection and assistance) and governance. Oh and about 400,000.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Maybe Iraq should be split up like Yugoslavia, AKA Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia...

Problem with that is resources. Where groups are concentrated now Kurds control over half of Iraqs oil wealth and comprise less than 10% of population. The rest is controlled by Shi'a in south area's leaving Sunni nothing - they're already apeshit about not having power - take away all their money and oh man... all Arab states will have something to say about that.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Problem with that is resources. Where groups are concentrated now Kurds control over half of Iraqs oil wealth and comprise less than 10% of population. The rest is controlled by Shi'a in south area's leaving Sunni nothing - they're already apeshit about not having power - take away all their money and oh man... all Arab states will have something to say about that.
They should have thought of that before they decided to move to the middle of the freakin desert. :sneaky:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
They should have thought of that before they decided to move to the middle of the freakin desert. :sneaky:

They had a life style that suited them prior to oil.

Then they had the government power behind them.

Now they are unable to go back to the tribal life style (spoiled & lifestyle is ruined); they have no absolute government power.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I do believe that the removal of Saddam has left the door open in Iraq and in the region. We may not like what we find next time we visit.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I hate dwelling on past as it's unchangeable but would have been easy to befriend Saddam (again) and mollify him to chill a bit.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yep. The fvcked up thing is there are still hard core right wingnuts that support the Iraq invasion and reasons behind it. How many lives lost? How many maimed for life? How much money wasted? Mission Accomplished indeed. :thumbsdown:

Heh denying reality again are we? Do we need to pull out all of the quotes from leading democrats of the time? Or are they part of the vast far right winged conspiracy as well?

How many of these types of bombs have gone off in the last 6 months? honestly I can only think of one other time a big blast rocked that country. So either those types of blasts are way down or our media isnt reporting on them. What do you think?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Heh denying reality again are we? Do we need to pull out all of the quotes from leading democrats of the time? Or are they part of the vast far right winged conspiracy as well?

How many of these types of bombs have gone off in the last 6 months? honestly I can only think of one other time a big blast rocked that country. So either those types of blasts are way down or our media isnt reporting on them. What do you think?

Read the story they go off all the time. Yes deaths are down from 2006/2007 levels but still at 15 a day and only curtailed by bribing Sunni tribes right now. Once that money runs out all bets are off and I bet you all hell breaks loose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.