Never thought about this one. We all know that current is what causes damage, not voltage. And tracing back to basic theory, a changing magnetic field induces current. Power surges can be avoided by simply disrupting the huge instantaneous magnetic fields created in the first place.. even by lightening strikes. How? Tie a knot in the line? I can see how this simple fix might work, never tried it before. Linky Induced currents travel through a relatively straight line along with the magnetic field according to the right hand rule. So a looped knot would disrupt this field, effectively cancelling most of it since the field loops around itself. Is this line of thinking correct?