surge protection strip & warranty claim

wasamicron

Aug 3, 2001
Does anyone know how difficult it is to make a claim for damage to equipment supposedly protected by surge strips? I have two Belkin surge strips that didn't do a damn thing to protect my stuff. I lost my stereo system, dvd player, pc speakers, and 2 phones...all plugged in to these phony protection devices. Funny thing is that the strips still work. I rent & it looks like my insurance deductible is $500. I believe a power surge is the cause. Coming home after being gone for the weekend, I noticed some lights woudn't turn on so i checked the electrical box. Several circuit breakers were thrown.

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
you have to prove that it was the surge protector itself that failed to protect your equipment

i'd give belkin a call

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Sorry to hear about that. That sucks. Hopefully, you:

1. Mailed in the warranty/registration card for the power strips. They come with them. If you didn't, you're screwed, don't bother reading further.
2. Kept the little "Warranty Certificate" that came with the power strips. Sometimes, these companies are jerks about keeping their promises.
3. Have the receipts for all the equipment that got fried.

Go to Belkin's site and read up on "claim procedures" or words to that effect. Are you sure the stuff is toast? Good luck, either way.

wasamicron

Aug 3, 2001
Thanks for the posts. I'm not sure if i sent in a warranty card or not. Knowing me, probably not:( I'm sure everthing is toast. My stereo display light up partially. my dvd player wont do anything. My phones power supply cords aren't putting out any volts (checked with multimeter). I took cover off both dvd player & stereo. Both have glass fuses that didn't blow. Guess I'm gonna have to pay attention to hot deals for replacements.
oh, i guess i should look at the bright side.....the surge protectors managed to protect themselves.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Stupid question: Is the outlet that all this stuff plugs into "hot?" Does that outlet work at all? Have you tried the stuff on a diff outlet?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: wasamicron
Yep, after resetting the circuit breakers, all outlets are working.

:(

Contact Belkin. Hopefully, you at least have receipts for your equipment. Having the receipt for the surge protector itslef would be great. I have a folder in myfile cabinet labeled "Receipts." As soon as I get home, I take the receipt out of my wallet and throw it in the folder. It might take me a few minutes to find a particular receipt, but I know it's in there.

Good luck to 'ya, pal. :)

wasamicron

Aug 3, 2001
Do these devices even work?? I wonder what circumstances cause them to fail to protect? Finally, why bother? Oh yeh, i think i remember reading that ups work much better.

wasamicron

Aug 3, 2001
Contact Belkin. Hopefully, you at least have receipts for your equipment. Having the receipt for the surge protector itslef would be great. I have a folder in myfile cabinet labeled "Receipts." As soon as I get home, I take the receipt out of my wallet and throw it in the folder. It might take me a few minutes to find a particular receipt, but I know it's in there.
.....very good advice that hopefully spurs me into getting organized.