sure its in there some place

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
Realistically I'm looking at waiting a little bit for the new quads or jumping on the tasty looking e8400 when it comes out.

but I'm trying to really look at a fair cross of pro's / con's to which to get.

I mainly game and do some music creation (not so much any more... :( ) and I do use my processor(s) for Distributed computing (go TeAm SoB)

Most of the reviews of I've seen around are showing as 4ghz is "generally" obtainable with a E8xxx processor with *most* of the Q9xxx (minus the qx) capping at well under 4ghz

I know these numbers are all basically smoke and mirrors created with ES chip spins but don't really sound insane IMO

so here goes the main question - is a higher clocking dual core more likely to benefit me or is quadcore really worth the extra cash (mainly looking at the higher priced Q9450 as it has 12megs of cache)

- another side note is that I am worried about my mother board being compatible with OC'ing quads (running the P5N-e SLI in my sig which should run it fine at stock)

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
im going to buy the dual core 8400 because i see the higher clock speed to out run the higher cores + cache for the life cycle of this processor generation. Plus its cheaper than a q6600. I will jump to quad when its necessary

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I'm in the same boat. I only need mobo, cpu, and hdd to complete my new built (ok, so thats some of the most expensive components but whatever) and I am torn between the Dual and the Quad. On the one hand there is no doubt that as of right now the higher clocked (and most likely higher overclocking) 8400 would be faster for games which is my main pc use. On the other hand, this was the same fact when I built my opteron 165 rig over 2 years ago (the higher clocked and cheaper A64 single cores were better for games) but over the life of the rig dual core games started appearing and I was able to pull ahead of the higher clocked single cores.

The one main difference of this compared to last is the price difference, at the time I only had to pay ~$60 more for the Opteron dual core vs the single core and in this current case the difference is $130 (Tankguys preorder). This has me leaning towards the 8400...

Either way I am so freaking annoyed at BB and Newegg. I have giftcards to both and neither has had a good deal on HDD's recently, at least not the models I want. C'mon people!!!