Supreme Court strikes down key parts of Arizona immigration law

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Werepossum brings up an interesting point(s)

I just dont think all that production would be picked up by imports.

And we would see the actual cost of food I suppose, as opposed to this weird black market of quasi legal production.

Once prices went high enough wages would adjust.

It would make iphones sales suffer, and I just dont see how voters would ever want that.
Yes, prices would generally go up, but probably not as much as wages went up because of competitive pressure.

I honestly expect better from you werepossum. His was a canned, mindless, retort that did not address clearly valid argument.

If something is de-criminalized then calling someone 'illegal' for taking part in the behavior is ridiculous.

Clearly the federal government has decriminalized illegal immigration.
Decriminalizing something should be done by changing laws. We would not say that the Southern states prior to Civil Rights legislation had decriminalized white men murdering black men, we would say that those Southern states were violating their public trust by not enforcing the law.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
I am always amused when someone points out that the native americans were almost wiped out by (illegal) immigrants from europe as an argument that because we essentially wiped them out, we should follow their immigration policies ....ie, not have any. It didn't work out so well for them, so perhaps we should think of doing things differently, eh?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I'll agree with that as long as you change it to:

The "anchor baby" provision of the 14th amendment needs to be fixed. Children born to ILLEGAL immigrants should not be automatic citizens.

While I agree with your change, currently it is not that way. Kick out the parents when caught, allow the citizen to stay.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
While I agree with your change, currently it is not that way. Kick out the parents when caught, allow the citizen to stay.
Isn't that sort of cutting off our nose to spite our face? We'd lose the parents, many of whom work (and work hard), and have to pay someone to take care of the child as a ward of the state.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
No, that's not the way to handle it. That kid is the parents responsibility. The kid goes with the parents. When the kid is 18, and a legal adult, he/she can come right on back to their country. Are not we merciful?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Isn't that sort of cutting off our nose to spite our face? We'd lose the parents, many of whom work (and work hard), and have to pay someone to take care of the child as a ward of the state.

Yes, but it removes the incentive to have your baby in the US as a way to get yourself into the US. I accept Chucky's compromise.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Are you worried Asian immigrants will start a war with us? What an interesting comment. The few immigrants I know who came from Asia(China, Cambodia, Laos). Came here to get away from their shitty govts. They will probably put themselves in the line of fire to defend this country before most American born here will.

This. Asians come here to be be successful in a "free" economy and better themselves, not to drop their babies off here for free handouts so they can have bigger rims than their buddy.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
This. Asians come here to be be successful in a "free" economy and better themselves, not to drop their babies off here for free handouts so they can have bigger rims than their buddy.

Geez.

That's pretty racist, dude.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I never said that was the reason they struck it down. Pay attention. I said I am glad because that part of that law would have led to hispanics being singled out based soley on their race.

But that part of the statute was actually upheld by this decision.

:\

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Decriminalizing something should be done by changing laws. We would not say that the Southern states prior to Civil Rights legislation had decriminalized white men murdering black men, we would say that those Southern states were violating their public trust by not enforcing the law.
The law is not some words on a page; but a system of interacting interpretations and social norms. The public trust violation isn't that a bureaucratic/executive method of law-change allowed for lycnhing, in that any law-change allowed for a group to be terrorized.

Our founding was on the back of the British breaking this same trust by not protecting us during the french-Indian war; a similar violation of trust.

No, immigration law being changed does not murder anyone; and while those that have a deep-seated xenophobia may not want to be around brown people that speak Spanish, this is hardly a violation of the public duty to protect life, liberty, and property. Instead it is a markets issue.

There is a market for their labor, if there was not then they would mostly go home. Since there is demand for the labor they supply and the labor they supply is illegal, they are part of the black market (much in the same way a drug dealer is). But in the case of decriminalized labor-delivery, that black-market labor becomes much more 'grey' or simply 'informal' instead of 'renegade'; in exactly the same way as the decriminalized pot-bar is part of an 'gray' market, despite violating the letter of the law.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
the liberals need the votes. If they were voting republican pelosi and company would be at the southern border with machine guns blazing. The liberals know they will vote liberal and since we have NO voter ID enforcement they will vote and vote and vote as often as they can as much as they can. The liberals know they can't win in the arena of fair play so they will use fraud and deceit and judicial pay off's to forward the liberal dictatorial agenda.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
In other news, LEGAL immigrants file most patents at top schools. Source (liberal one) = http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/26/smallbusiness/immigrants-patents/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

A new study shows immigrants file 76% of patents at the nation's top schools. Now, the question is how to keep those bright minds in the country.

...54% of those patents came from students, postdoctoral fellows or staff researchers. That's an issue, because the United States is losing ground against other nations by pushing out immigrant graduates seeking to launch their own businesses.

In the mean while, the US government is pandering to the uneducated and unskill ILLEGALS. :confused:

So let me get it straight, in a more and more competitive world, we push out these smart ones that could create Fortune 500 companies and take in the fruit pickers and lawn workers. Is it stupid and insane or what?

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the liberals need the votes. If they were voting republican pelosi and company would be at the southern border with machine guns blazing. The liberals know they will vote liberal and since we have NO voter ID enforcement they will vote and vote and vote as often as they can as much as they can. The liberals know they can't win in the arena of fair play so they will use fraud and deceit and judicial pay off's to forward the liberal dictatorial agenda.

you forgot to demonize dopers

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
In other news, LEGAL immigrants file most patents at top schools. Source (liberal one) = http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/26/smallbusiness/immigrants-patents/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

In the mean while, the US government is pandering to the uneducated and unskill ILLEGALS. :confused:

So let me get it straight, in a more and more competitive world, we push out these smart ones that could create Fortune 500 companies and take in the fruit pickers and lawn workers. Is it stupid and insane or what?

it blows my mind :(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They don't have citizen's rights, like voting.

Actually a lot of them have been caught trying to vote which is why some states are instituting voter ID's.
Not to mention that for a lot of purposes politicians include them among official populations to boost their numbers. I hope I dont have to explain how bad that is.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
That's why libs want drugs and sodomy legal: Demons get in peoples brains that way and then make those people vote lib.

True story.

That is one of the few reasons I have seen which actually properly explains why liberals act like they do. Libs make much more sense when you think of them as demon possessed and not actually in control of their own actions.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
That is one of the few reasons I have seen which actually properly explains why liberals act like they do. Libs make much more sense when you think of them as demon possessed and not actually in control of their own actions.

:colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Actually a lot of them have been caught trying to vote which is why some states are instituting voter ID's.

Actually, listening to the governor of Florida on NPR, the figure he gave was around 20 people in the state of Florida. 20. That's not significantly more than the number of people attacked by zombies in his state.

Of course the only proper course of action was to spend millions to try to stop this wave of fraud that is threatening to topple our democracy.