Supreme Court signals support for Arizona immigration law provision

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

simpletron

Oct 31, 2008
Once, when I called the cops after I was beaten and came to on the side of the road.

I called THEM, and they took ME in for "disorderly conduct" because I did not get up from the bench with a sprained ankle the paramedic was putting ice on.

Care to continue along that line bubbie?

Yes, let's continue. The police didn't stop you for no reason. Try again.

The hard part is PROVING it. Add that to the fact that most illegals do not have LAWYERS.

It shouldn't be that hard to prove that the cop had no reason to stop you.

That has nothing to do with my position or statements.
It only disproves your example of cops being racist.

Some don't. Most do.

It's human to do so.
Your unsupported opinion.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Once, when I called the cops after I was beaten and came to on the side of the road.

I called THEM, and they took ME in for "disorderly conduct" because I did not get up from the bench with a sprained ankle the paramedic was putting ice on.

Care to continue along that line bubbie?

It would be interesting to see that police report.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I saw an episode of Jail where someone said the same thing. I wonder if that was him? :D

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Yes we know youre saying that. But what you havent been able to to do is to point out what parts of SB1070 will make it easier than it is now to abuse it, when it has been pointed out to you that SB1070 has more safeguards against abuse than current law does.

Easy. It requires a validation of suspicion by those that utilized it.

It does not require any real EVIDENCE.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
It would be interesting to see that police report.

It would, wouldn't it.

I forgot that the people on this forum are more into shame, humiliation and character defamation than actual intellectual discourse.

Last edited:

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Yes, let's continue. The police didn't stop you for no reason. Try again.

Listen crap-for-brains. The cops didn't stop me.

I was on a bench, with a paramedic, beaten and bloody.

It shouldn't be that hard to prove that the cop had no reason to stop you.

Again, they did not STOP me. Nice way of changing the meaning by changing the phrasing to something it wasn't.

It only disproves your example of cops being racist.

No, it doesn't. Nice way to twist things bubbie.

Your unsupported opinion.

I see you chose the right name for yourself.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
It would, wouldn't it.

I forgot that the people on this forum are more into shame, humiliation and character defamation than actual intellectual discourse.

You brought your personal antidote into thread as an explanation for your theory of abuse.

To some, it sounds false, something key is being left out. Many people do that when trying to justify certain actions.

There may be a bad apple everywhere, the law was written to try snc endurr that yhat it will not be abused by a bad apple

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
You brought your personal antidote into thread as an explanation for your theory of abuse.

Yep. It was not an invitation for more.

To some, it sounds false, something key is being left out. Many people do that when trying to justify certain actions.

The fact that I was beaten and left unconscious by a group of homophobes? (BTW, i am not gay, how's that for double damage?)

There may be a bad apple everywhere, the law was written to try snc endurr that yhat it will not be abused by a bad apple

Serious typos man. I think I know what you are saying, but I will not slam you for KB mash.

Point being, the rule allows too much latitude by those in power. The rules we HAVE now allow a lot of that. This law is just a reactionary legislation that really does not address the problem, just the hatred involved. Humans are territorial, when they feel like another dog is pissing on their tree (even if that dog will die if he doesn't) they get their hackles up.

And instead of trying to find a way to solve the problem, they go after the symptoms. This law will be abused. it is too easy not to.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Ah ok. That confirms you have indeed not read the bill. Or at least all of it.

Carry on with your hot air, sir.

I read it. The statements of proof that need to be provided are not carried to the same extent as others required in other legislation.

It makes it "Easier for cops to do their job".

The problem is, with something like this, the only real way that makes it easier is to put the state into a xenophobic state of military law.

Sometimes "easier" is not "better".

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The bill tightens what is allowed; not loosens it.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Again, they did not STOP me. Nice way of changing the meaning by changing the phrasing to something it wasn't.

So let me get this straight the police arrested you for disorderly conduct (which you claim was just sitting on a bench with an injured ankle) in front of a 3rd party witness? :hmm:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
The better question is why does someone who we know is illegal got a lawyer? Shouldnt they be deported as soon as possible?

I cannot provide external references but I believe being illegal does not mean you are not granted the same unalienable rights as Americans and the courts have ruled this way in the past. How being deported works I have no idea and am unsure what kinds of legal process it is compared to a legal one. Do illegals go before a judge before being deported or is it the choice of the INS agent to deport someone?

simpletron

Oct 31, 2008

Thank-you for agreeing that the cops didn't stop you for no reason.

I meant you to refer to those who were stop by police for no reason and then racially profile against. If they were stop for no reason then it should be easy to prove that they were stopped for no reason and correspondingly that the cop acted in bad faith of the law. I apologize for the confusion.

Also, Thank-you for agreeing that the cops didn't stop you for no reason, again.

You gave an example of multiple black kids being stop while you weren't even though both group were doing the same thing. I show a reason why the black kids would be stop other than being black, thus show the cop weren't being racist in their actions.

Instead of trying to insult me, why don't you add supporting facts to back up your opinion. If your implied statement "most cops are racist" is really true, then it shouldn't be hard to find supporting evidence.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
So if any social, racial, ethnic, religious group does not have a lawyer we should not enforce laws?

Not if it requires a lawyer to contest it.

You do not make the rules so complicated that if you do not have money you do not pass GO and you go strait to jail.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I cannot provide external references but I believe being illegal does not mean you are not granted the same unalienable rights as Americans and the courts have ruled this way in the past. How being deported works I have no idea and am unsure what kinds of legal process it is compared to a legal one. Do illegals go before a judge before being deported or is it the choice of the INS agent to deport someone?

The key here is this.

What happens to the freedoms of people who LOOK "Illegal" and are now forced to carry passports in the country they are citizens of?

This is taking their freedom away in the name of "protecting" the country from immigrants that are coming in to do the jobs WE DON'T WANT TO DO for wages that are needed in order to make the items cost as cheap as we have said we wanted them to be.

This measure is a stopgap that is a poor "solution" to a problem that we have started nationally, and one of the groups hurting from this are Mexican-Americans.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Yep.

Welcome to the real world.

So now you are claiming that not only are cops racist, but they are either stupid enough to act racist in front of paramedics, or they can tell which paramedics are also racist (racistdar?)

Or maybe you made it up?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The key here is this.

What happens to the freedoms of people who LOOK "Illegal" and are now forced to carry passports in the country they are citizens of?

This is taking their freedom away in the name of "protecting" the country from immigrants that are coming in to do the jobs WE DON'T WANT TO DO for wages that are needed in order to make the items cost as cheap as we have said we wanted them to be.

This measure is a stopgap that is a poor "solution" to a problem that we have started nationally, and one of the groups hurting from this are Mexican-Americans.

No where in the constitution are you granted the right to not maintain your papers. And before anyone pints out that as an unalienable right:
A) Papers are mentioned specifically in the 4the amendment, so we can assume that it was not assumed to be unalienable.
B) Things not spelled out in the Constitution are held to be the domain of the states, QED the states have a right to compel you to carry papers if they pass such a law.

WHY do you consider it unreasonable for someone to maintain their identification? I guarantee if I went to Mexico, I would be expected to keep my passport with me.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have no doubt in my mind the average American cop is racist against hispanics, but I also know they are good at covering their asses. They'd rather keep their jobs than do their jobs, and in the current political climate favors illegals. Right now they are going relatively mild on them. It will get worse for ALL hispanics if a new president decides to make them political scape goats. Not quite as bad as the Jews in Germany, but not pretty either.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The better question is why does someone who we know is illegal got a lawyer? Shouldnt they be deported as soon as possible?

Illegals do have some rights, and I am sure everyone will agree they should once they read on. For example, the right to life (with due process to remove it) and the right to freedom of religion are two obvious ones.

The illegal is brought before an immigration law savvy judge who listens to see if they some good reason for being here. One good reason would be they are a blind Chinese man who escaped after being imprisoned as a political prisoner. Most are deported, though.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
So let me get this straight the police arrested you for disorderly conduct (which you claim was just sitting on a bench with an injured ankle) in front of a 3rd party witness? :hmm:

Yeah, his story sounds likely. :biggrin::biggrin: