Supreme Court - Roberts

bunny1809

Mar 20, 2005
Democrats Feel Heat From Left On Roberts
Groups Say Fight Should Be Stronger

By Charles Babington and Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, August 17, 2005; Page A01

Major liberal groups accused Democratic senators yesterday of showing too little stomach for opposing John G. Roberts Jr.'s Supreme Court nomination, saying newly released documents indicate he is much more conservative than many people first thought.

The response was quick and pointed, as two key senators unleashed their sharpest criticisms yet of Roberts and sought to assure activists that the battle is far from over.

Sen. Patrick J. Leahy of Vermont, the Judiciary Committee's ranking Democrat, said in a statement: "Those papers that we have received paint a picture of John Roberts as an eager and aggressive advocate of policies that are deeply tinged with the ideology of the far right wing of his party then, and now. In influential White House and Department of Justice positions, John Roberts expressed views that were among the most radical being offered by a cadre intent on reversing decades of policies on civil rights, voting rights, women's rights, privacy, and access to justice."

Leahy, who previously treaded more softly on the Roberts matter, said the White House's refusal to release other documents being sought leaves Roberts "with a heavier burden to carry during his upcoming hearings."

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), the committee's senior member, also took his criticisms of Roberts to new heights yesterday in a letter to colleagues.

In a further bid to dispel an air of inevitability that liberals think too many Democrats have embraced, several organizations told allies that they will call for Roberts's rejection this month rather than wait for the Senate hearings to start on Sept. 6, as some members of the anti-Roberts coalition have urged.

The senators and liberal groups were reacting in part to a Washington Post article noting that many Democratic lawmakers have expressed little interest in mounting a strong fight against Roberts, barring unexpected disclosures. The senators' tepid stance has frustrated the organizations, which are important to the party, because they feel the information being gleaned from thousands of documents is starting to portray the nominee as someone considerably more conservative than the justice he would replace, Sandra Day O'Connor.

"What we've seen is breathtaking in his approach to weakening the enforcement of civil rights laws," said Nancy M. Zirkin of the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights. "A picture is emerging that Roberts was there every step of the way taking the far right position. . . . He is no Sandra Day O'Connor."

The day's events revealed the tensions on the Democratic side as senators and liberal interest groups make different strategic calculations on how to position themselves for next month's nomination showdown. The interest groups want senators to be more aggressive. Meanwhile, some senators, according to aides, blame the groups for not doing more to build public opposition and to create the political climate in which it would be easier to speak out against Roberts without looking extreme. Liberal leaders say that they simply were being responsible and prudent, and that now their patience is paying off.

Nan Aron, president of the Alliance for Justice, said Democrats who support Roberts could face a voter backlash, particularly if he turns out to be as conservative as the groups contend. "History shows us that voters turned on Alan Dixon for his vote on Clarence Thomas and voters gave Arlen Specter the toughest reelection of his life," Aron said, referring to the former Democratic senator from Illinois and the current Republican senator from Pennsylvania. If grass-roots voters "are where we expect they'll be around the time of the vote [on Roberts], they'll remember long and hard."

Ralph G. Neas, head of the liberal People for the American Way, noted that "there have been almost daily revelations from the Reagan Presidential Library" indicating that, as a young White House lawyer, Roberts "was a charter member of the Reagan-Bush legal policy team that had attempted to dismantle the civil rights remedies" embraced by previous GOP administrations. He added: "I believe a significant number of progressive organizations will soon be coming out against the Roberts nomination."

Neas declined to say whether his group will be among them. But several liberal activists said they have been told that People for the American Way, the Alliance for Justice, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights and other major groups plan, before Labor Day, to urge Roberts's rejection. These groups have expressed concerns about Roberts since President Bush nominated him on July 19, but they have stopped short of calling for rejection.

The groups are now highlighting several items found in documents from Roberts's days as a lawyer in the Reagan White House and Justice Department. They include his calling a memorial service for aborted fetuses "an entirely appropriate means of calling attention to the abortion tragedy," and his reference to the legal underpinnings of the right to an abortion as the "so-called 'right to privacy.' " The groups note that Roberts once wrote that a Supreme Court case on prohibiting silent prayer in public schools "seems indefensible." Roberts, they say, had also called a federal court decision that sought to guarantee women equal pay to men "a radical redistributive concept."

"As we review more and more documents, I think we're finding more evidence that Roberts would vote with the far-right wing of the court and against civil rights protections," said Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights group.

In his letter to colleagues, Kennedy said recently released evidence "shows that he was on or beyond the outer fringe of that extreme group eager to take our law and society back in time on a wide range of issues of individual rights and liberties, and on broad issues of government responsiveness to public needs." For instance, Kennedy said, he "opposed effective voting rights legislation, and wanted to restrict laws vital to battling discrimination by recipients of federal funds."

Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said in a statement: "All this talk about whether Democrats will support the Roberts nomination is laughably premature. . . . The White House has so far refused to produce relevant documents, and the documents we have seen raise questions about the nominee's commitment to progress on civil rights."

Responding to Leahy and Kennedy, White House spokesman Steve Schmidt said: "It is disturbing to see the ease with which some senior Democrats are willing to distort Judge Roberts's record and writings as a young lawyer in the Reagan administration."

"Hopefully, these letters do not signal the abandonment of a dignified process by the Democrats," Schmidt added.

Some activists would prefer that liberal organizations withhold judgment until the Senate Judiciary Committee holds its hearings to avoid being labeled as knee-jerk obstructionists. But others worry that the nomination process is starting to look like a coronation just as records from the 1980s are beginning to provide grounds for the tough questioning of Roberts and possibly for votes against his confirmation.

Leahy asked the Reagan library yesterday to release 478 pages of Roberts-related documents that were withheld this week, noting that portions could be blacked out for privacy reasons if necessary.

With Democrats holding 44 of the Senate's 100 seats, liberal activists concede that it would be extremely difficult to block Roberts's confirmation. But they urged those senators yesterday to show more openness to the possibility if more documents and the hearings suggest that Roberts is in the mold of conservatives such as Justice Antonin Scalia.

_____________________________________________________________-

It is no surprise to me that this guy was nominated by Bush. He seems to be the complete opposite of O'Connor and what the needs of our country are calling for.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The groups note that Roberts once wrote that a Supreme Court case on prohibiting silent prayer in public schools "seems indefensible."
Agreed - but maybe I'm not using the correct definition of silent prayer? But if it's just bowing your head and saying a prayer at your desk in your own mind, how the hell can you prohibit that? On the same page, are you going to prohibit Muslim students from doing their prayers during school hours?
Roberts, they say, had also called a federal court decision that sought to guarantee women equal pay to men "a radical redistributive concept."
I think he's right on this as well, but I need to flesh out my position a bit more before I make comment. I do think that the lessened work timespan of women due to pregnancy and nursing time is a factor that we shouldn't pretend doesn't exist and therefore compensate for monetarily.

...is that all? The abortion stuff? He can have a moral opinion without letting it affect RvW, but I suppose it's understandable that people are very careful in analyzing what stance a SC judge might take on the issue.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/16/AR2005081601457.html">Missing Papers ? From the Reagan Library ? No way !

Hey anyone seen Sandy Berger in the last couple weeks ?</a>

<CLIP>

A file folder containing papers from Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts Jr.'s work on affirmative action more than 20 years ago disappeared from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library after its review by two lawyers from the White House and the Justice Department in July, according to officials at the library and the National Archives and Records Administration.

Archivists said the lawyers returned the file but it now cannot be located. No duplicates of the folder's contents were made before the lawyers' review. Although one of the lawyers has assisted in the Archives' attempt to reconstruct its contents from other files, officials have no way of independently verifying their effort was successful.

It is rare for the Archives to lose documents in its care and the agency has requested an investigation by its inspector general, said Sharon Fawcett, the assistant archivist for presidential libraries.

The lost file has also aroused some concern on Capitol Hill. Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (Vt.), the senior Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, wrote yesterday to R. Duke Blackwood, executive director of the Reagan Library, asking that he "continue to investigate thoroughly" the missing affirmative action file and "clarify the basis upon which you believe you have reconstructed that file." And Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) requested a Justice Department investigation because one of the agency's lawyers had seen the documents involved.

At issue is one of hundreds of files maintained by the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, Calif., where an estimated 55,000 pages of material from Roberts's tenure as White House associate counsel from 1982 to 1986 are archived. The library is managed by the Archives.

As part of a vetting process before Roberts's formal nomination by the White House in late July, the two lawyers requested and were granted special access to the Roberts files. Neither the White House nor the Justice Department would name the lawyers yesterday, but sources said one works for White House counsel Harriet Miers and the other is an aide to Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales.

Upon the lawyers' arrival, Archives officials said, they asked to inspect various folders, and as they were pulled from the boxes, a marker was inserted in their place and the lawyers signed a checkout sheet. An attendant present in the room at all times did not, as a matter of routine, sign a form signifying the return of each folder.

bunny1809

Mar 20, 2005
Being a woman who does not plan on being married or having children... I do find it to be a tad on the unfair side.. considering I will not be taking the maternity leave. Should I be punished for other women wanting to bear children? If I am putting in equal work I deserve equal pay.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
One thing that nobody seems to be talking about is the speed at which Leahy came out with these charges. The papers were released yesterday and by sun down he had time to read them and make a conclusion which amazingly fits with every party line the democrats have been towing with regards to judicial nominees.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
zzzzzzzzz

Hardly anyone is talking about Roberts and there is no real fight, that muct be disappointing to the right.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Leahy asked the Reagan library yesterday to release 478 pages of Roberts-related documents that were withheld this week, noting that portions could be blacked out for privacy reasons if necessary.

So Leaky Leahy read and analyzed 478 pages in a day then came to this conclusion?

This guy has slammed liberals like anything. He's awesome.

Being a woman who does not plan on being married or having children... I do find it a tend on the unfair side.. Considering I will not be taking the maternity leave. Should I be punished for other women wanting to bear children? If I am putting in equal work I deserve equal time.
The issue is "comparative worth" not "equal work". It's a word play that can be easily twisted. Most people believe in equal work > equal pay.

BushBasha

Banned
Jul 18, 2005
Originally posted by: bunny1809
Being a woman who does not plan on being married or having children... I do find it a tend on the unfair side.. Considering I will not be taking the maternity leave. Should I be punished for other women wanting to bear children? If I am putting in equal work I deserve equal time.

You go girl. :lips: I couldn't agree with you more.

BushBasha

Banned
Jul 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Todd33
zzzzzzzzz

Hardly anyone is talking about Roberts and there is no real fight, that muct be disappointing to the right.

Clearly, had you of read the actual article, it is the liberalcons who are mad as hell that there is no fight.

Helenihi

Dec 25, 2001
Originally posted by: bunny1809
Being a woman who does not plan on being married or having children... I do find it to be a tad on the unfair side.. considering I will not be taking the maternity leave. Should I be punished for other women wanting to bear children? If I am putting in equal work I deserve equal pay.

Do you think the government should step in and start defining what equal work is and which people deserve equal pay?

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: zendari

So Leaky Leahy read and analyzed 478 pages in a day then came to this conclusion?

The issue is "comparative worth" not "equal work". It's a word play that can be easily twisted. Most people believe in equal work > equal pay.

did you and genx87 both get the same memo on what talking points to start kicking out about the Leahy response? you guys should really discuss this sort of thing ahead of time so it's not as obvious :D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Tommunist

did you and genx87 both get the same memo on what talking points to start kicking out about the Leahy response? you guys should really discuss this sort of thing ahead of time so it's not as obvious :D

It is called breaking down the argument.
The guy had less than a day to read 480 pages and give his opinion. In other words he is blowing rhetoric up everybodys ass.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87

It is called breaking down the argument.
The guy had less than a day to read 480 pages and give his opinion. In other words he is blowing rhetoric up everybodys ass.

maybe someone wrote him some cliffs or he took that speedreading course i saw offered on the tv :)

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005

There haven't been any talking point memos on something this trivial. Roberts is going to be confirmed regardless of what the whining fringe leftist fools do. You can always count on NARAL and company to make the left look bad.

55000 pages of material and the Dems are whining about a single folder they won't read anyway.