Supreme Court Reopens Clinics Closed By Anti-Abortion Law

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Now that I said that it just makes me wonder why aren't all abortions done at a hospital rather than having tax payer clinics do abortions.

ALL abortions should be taxpayer paid if you cant afford it.

less future safety hammock users = good?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
right delayed is a right denied. I imagine (and hope) SCOTUS will overturn these laws. They are clearly targeted at inhibiting the ability of women to obtain safe and legal abortions.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I am not sure what abortion has to do with security/privacy. The "privacy" used to describe abortion right was kind of a euphemism that has little to do with privacy in the 4th Amendment context. Surely you understand that. The SCOTUS no longer describes the right to choose as privacy.

The 14th Amendment, and if you read Kennedy decision in Oberfeld you would learn, not even the writers of the 14 amendment knew of all of the rights it would protect. They left it up to future generations to learn what are the fundamental rights.

So while things like dignity and privacy are not actual words in the 14th amendment, it still protects them.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
?? I don't know what you're talking about, either. The best I can guess is that you did not read the preceding exchanges. I was responding to this post.

As a libertarian it amuses me greatly when pro-choice folks cite things like "privacy" and "liberty interest" in reference to abortion and yet reject it utterly and deny it to others in countless other scenarios daily. Democratic President Obama has happily adopted and expanded government intrusions into privacy in countless ways, and that's just the ones we know about. You folks would happily be the oblivious proles in Oceania praising Big Brother because "at least we still have the privacy and liberty interest to have abortions." You all have a worldview and yearning for actual freedom as limited as your withered imaginations.

In the quoted post glenn1 is conflating the two different concepts of privacy: one in abortion context, which really means women's autonomy (something libertarians would presumably support), and another one understood as in the 4th Amendment context, which is protected against the governmental search.

What you said about the 14th Amendment is true. I just don't think you meant to reply to my post with it.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
?? I don't know what you're talking about, either. The best I can guess is that you did not read the preceding exchanges. I was responding to this post.

In the quoted post glenn1 is conflating the two different concepts of privacy: one in abortion context, which really means women's autonomy (something libertarians would presumably support), and another one understood as in the 4th Amendment context, which is protected against the governmental search.

What you said about the 14th Amendment is true. I just don't think you meant to reply to my post with it.

Here's an article which will help explain the continuum of libertarian thought on the abortion issue. You also seem to be missing my larger point as I've stated earlier - while I find stupid all laws of this type that restrict otherwise legal behaviors for political reasons (e.g. abortion trap laws, strict gun control laws, "dry county" laws prohibiting alcohol sales, "blue laws" of any type, etc.) I likewise think that you should have the right as a sovereign citizen of a sovereign state (or city, or whatever level of political subdivision) to live under those laws if you choose to do so. I don't need to understand WHY you want to live under these laws, just accept that you might want to live differently than I would want to live and that's OK.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Here's an article which will help explain the continuum of libertarian thought on the abortion issue. You also seem to be missing my larger point as I've stated earlier - while I find stupid all laws of this type that restrict otherwise legal behaviors for political reasons (e.g. abortion trap laws, strict gun control laws, "dry county" laws prohibiting alcohol sales, "blue laws" of any type, etc.) I likewise think that you should have the right as a sovereign citizen of a sovereign state (or city, or whatever level of political subdivision) to live under those laws if you choose to do so. I don't need to understand WHY you want to live under these laws, just accept that you might want to live differently than I would want to live and that's OK.

States aren't sovereign so...

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011

Oops, you are right. I skipped forward to the 5th page, and didn't really read much of the other pages. I was thinking you were saying the judges in Roe v Wade ruled their was some kind of 4th amendment right to privacy, and used that to strike down abortion bans. My mistake.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The Tenth Amendment and current practice differ. Neither the federal nor state governments enjoy total sovereignty, they both exercise it in their respective realms and on the case of the federal those are enumerated.

https://www.boundless.com/u-s-histo...sovereignty-82/the-sovereign-states-464-8631/

The very definition of sovereign says you are wrong. I also never claimed the federal government has absolute power either. Although, as you know, federal law supersedes state and local laws and it does so for very good reasons.