Supreme Court - Religious Organizations Don't Have to Fulfill Contract Requirements

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Apparently, if you get a government contract and then refuse to fulfill the terms of that contract while claiming "religious reasons" the government can not pull that contract from your organization. How is not getting a government contract you refuse to fulfill a violation of the free practice clause?

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Never mind, after reading the bulk of the opinion, I can see why the libs on the court voted with Roberts, Kavanaugh and Barrett. Because their reasoning is limited to the particulars of the Philadelphia ordinance. That ordinance can be changed tomorrow and according to the majority reasoning, the result would be opposite. Had they dissented instead, the concurring opinion of Alito, Thomas and Gorsusch might have become the majority opinion, in which case the precedent would be awful.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
There must be some reason all three of the liberal justices voted with the conservative wing.
Despite what the angry pundits want you to believe, a judges personal beliefs dont often affect their case rulings.

And I think this is a perfect example of why we need separation of church and state. when the state hands out taxpayer funded contracts to organizations that can literally do whatever they want, we're gonna have problems.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Never mind, after reading the bulk of the opinion, I can see why the libs on the court voted with Roberts, Kavanaugh and Barrett. Because their reasoning is limited to the particulars of the Philadelphia ordinance. That ordinance can be changed tomorrow and according to the majority reasoning, the result would be opposite. Had they dissented instead, the concurring opinion of Alito, Thomas and Gorsusch might have become the majority opinion, in which case the precedent would be awful.
That makes sense, but it's frightening that at least three justices now think that the ability of religious organizations to only follow the laws they feel like following would extend to religious organizations now being able to pick and choose what terms of contracts they willingly signed to follow.

Reactions: Zorba and Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Catholic church silently rules this country through the SCOTUS for a $1000 Alec?

I doubt the Catholic church has strong influence over all 9 justices.

It isn't Catholicism per se anyway. It's Christianity. Conservative justices inevitably favor "free exercise" because it allows Christians to do whatever the hell they want, including treating other people badly.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Zorba

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I doubt the Catholic church has strong influence over all 9 justices.

It isn't Catholicism per se anyway. It's Christianity. Conservative justices inevitably favor "free exercise" because it allows Christians to do whatever the hell they want, including treating other people badly.

Aren’t most of the justices Catholic? I know there are more Catholic judges, percentage wise, than the make up of US citizens.

I just looked it up, the Supreme Court has 7 of 9 justices that identify as Catholic, 23% of the US population identifies as Catholic.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Aren’t most of the justices Catholic? I know there are more Catholic judges, percentage wise, than the make up of US citizens.

I just looked it up, the Supreme Court has 7 of 9 justices that identify as Catholic, 23% of the US population identifies as Catholic.

That may be, but the SCOTUS also ruled in favor of the Hobby Lobby owners and that baker, all evangelical protestants. I don't think it matters much if it's Catholic or protestant.

Reactions: Zorba

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
That may be, but the SCOTUS also ruled in favor of the Hobby Lobby owners and that baker, all evangelical protestants. I don't think it matters much if it's Catholic or protestant.
Yeah but that ruling favored things the Catholic church wanted to do. I think with the hobby lobby ruling there was a nunnery that was included as a plaintiff (something or other sisters of mercy)

I mean from what I'm hearing it's almost like gorsuch and alito would support church members not paying taxes if it was against their beliefs.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Why should any government award a taxpayer funded contract to non-taxpayers?
Because the next supreme court rolling will be that you can't exclude religious organizations from contracts, even if they refuse execute the contract.