Supreme Court OKs Telemarketing Lawsuits

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that states can press fraud charges against telemarketers or other fund-raisers who deceive potential donors about how much of a contribution really goes to charity.

The First Amendment does not protect fund-raisers who intentionally mislead potential donors, the court said. The unanimous ruling allows Illinois to go after a telemarketing firm that took in more than $8 million on behalf of a Vietnam veterans' charity, and pocketed 85 percent of the money.

Not that the US needs more lawsuits, but this is a good thing IMO. I know a lot of the police charities do this same kind of crap where they guilt-trip you into giving and then keep most of the money. They get really evasive when you start asking them about what % of the money actually goes to the charity (at least, that has been my experience). Of course, most people dont' know to ask that particular question.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I think it needs to be stated on the solicitation material what percentage actually goes to charity. There is alot of misuse out there

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting about the cops gathering money for so called death benifit for officers. Our police dept did that here until it was found out the they hired a firm to do the calling and posed as policeman and kept 50% of the money collected and that no officers family had ever collected anything from the fund. It was really stupid because the city pays for $200,000.00 life insurance if the officer is killed while on duty.

Bleep

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Bleep
Interesting about the cops gathering money for so called death benifit for officers. Our police dept did that here until it was found out the they hired a firm to do the calling and posed as policeman and kept 50% of the money collected and that no officers family had ever collected anything from the fund. It was really stupid because the city pays for $200,000.00 life insurance if the officer is killed while on duty.

Bleep

Something similar happened here. I cant understand why the cops cant get out on the streets like the firemen do and do a fill the boot fundraiser.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Those G** D*** trial lawyers! They should tie a bolder to the ankles of all of them and toss them into the sea.

(Isn't that what all the right wing wacko republican limbaugh sheep say,especially in reference to anything relating to Clinton or democratic fund raising?)

Keep thinking conservative republicans will protect you. You can bet the telemarketers contributed tons to the republican party.

Now you know who really protects your freedoms. People brave enough to stand against the machine. It isn't the status quo, is it? ;)

(This is funny to me. :D )

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
they tried to say that the first amendment protects people when they lie? umm... no

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Bleep

Bleep

Something similar happened here. I cant understand why the cops cant get out on the streets like the firemen do and do a fill the boot fundraiser.

Because you wouldn't get much money if a cop shows up in front of someone's door, and the person hyperventilates and passes out. :)

xuanman

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Fausto1

Not that the US needs more lawsuits, but this is a good thing IMO.

i agree that this decision by the supreme court was excellent, and the US definitely needs more of these *good* consumer protection lawsuits