Supreme court OK's Indiana Voter ID law

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Indy star article

?States should have the ability to implement appropriate and constitutional steps to protect their electoral systems from fraud,? Indiana Attorney General Steve Carter said in response. ?We can move forward in Indiana with a process that provides constitutional protections to its citizens protecting their vote from potential fraudulent activity.?

Well Im sure this will cause some discussion. I for one think its a good thing. Voting integrity should have checks and balances. With all the voter fraud accusations this year perhaps this and an end to electronic voting are steps in the right direction.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's a good thing in theory, but in practice it's going to be abused to deny people who are rightfully entitled to vote the right to do so by giving unelected officials the right to make decisions on whether to allow you to vote or not, by simply questioning the authenticity of your identification.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I support the idea generally, but also think the state should be required to provide a valid state ID at no cost to those who don't already have a valid form of state identification.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
im confused. i thought i was already supposed to show my drivers license when i vote in nj? how is this problematic? how else are you supposed to make sure that you vote only once and that you're actually entitled to vote where you are voting? i guess i should read the opinion for arguments on both sides. hahah

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
State ID's are available at every state DMV as far as I know. The fee is small.

In NC, it's $10 and it's good for 5 or 8 years, depending on your age.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I support the idea generally, but also think the state should be required to provide a valid state ID at no cost to those who don't already have a valid form of state identification.

Thats the reason they won it seems...

Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices John Paul Stevens and Anthony Kennedy wrote that because Indiana?s cards are free, the inconvenience of getting one does not qualify as a substantial burden on most voters? right to vote.

But Hasen said Steven?s opinion made clear that if a specific group of voters could show the law imposed unique burdens on them, they could challenge the law?s constitutionality.

So this does NOT open states up to do the same UNLESS they give IDs out for free and do not keep any groups from going through any unique burdens to get them.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
State ID's are available at every state DMV as far as I know. The fee is small.

In NC, it's $10 and it's good for 5 or 8 years, depending on your age.

The Indiana DMV issues free identification for voting purposes.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
In the last election, Indiana voters had to show ID. I basically see it as no problem. And I did not see anyone complain last time that it was to disqualify voters in 2006.

Potentially it could cause problems if used to excess in the general election, but any folks conspiring to do that in November will be on their best behavior during the primaries.
Meaning anyone now voting in the primaries should be grandfathered into voting in the November.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
But Hasen said Steven?s opinion made clear that if a specific group of voters could show the law imposed unique burdens on them, they could challenge the law?s constitutionality.
If there's something about a person that makes having a valid ID a burden, I don't want them voting anyway.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
If there's something about a person that makes having a valid ID a burden, I don't want them voting anyway.

i've often wondered who the hell doesn't have valid ID. i've never met anyone without valid ID.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I find it interesting a lot of the people who rag on the system for voter fraud turn around and resist requiring some proof of who you are to vote.

This is a good step in the right direction to validate who is casting the vote.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
OMG I'm in agreement with Genx for like the 3rd or 4th time ever.....

I need to go hug a tree or something - or go surfing with that cute little chick from Heroes and save some whales.....

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: AAjax
Indy star article

?States should have the ability to implement appropriate and constitutional steps to protect their electoral systems from fraud,? Indiana Attorney General Steve Carter said in response. ?We can move forward in Indiana with a process that provides constitutional protections to its citizens protecting their vote from potential fraudulent activity.?

Well Im sure this will cause some discussion. I for one think its a good thing. Voting integrity should have checks and balances. With all the voter fraud accusations this year perhaps this and an end to electronic voting are steps in the right direction.

This is a horrible Idea. Why is a state issued license not enough. This disenfranchises the poor and the elderly. Old people will have a hell of a time getting all their shit together and for what other purpose would the poor want a national form of identification. I mean hell they take all those summer abroad classes in college to Europe and New Zealand. They probably have one anyway... right?

This is just another step towards the National Id card. It is stupid, unnecessary and another federal intrusion.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

I don't want someone that thinks like you to vote. Thankfully, who either of us thinks should vote is irrelevant.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
The real question is, who does this hurt more...Obama or Clinton.

Won't change anything in Indiana. The law is on the books already.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Yep; I have no problem dropping the small fee for the State ID's for compliance with this.

But it doesn't really matter anyways; the libtards will run around like lunatics telling us that we are excluding voters for this or that reason anyways.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Hmm...what are the reasons that having a valid ID might be a burden?

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Indy star article

This is a horrible Idea. Why is a state issued license not enough. This disenfranchises the poor and the elderly. Old people will have a hell of a time getting all their shit together and for what other purpose would the poor want a national form of identification. I mean hell they take all those summer abroad classes in college to Europe and New Zealand. They probably have one anyway... right?

This is just another step towards the National Id card. It is stupid, unnecessary and another federal intrusion.

If you read the article a state issued license/ id is just fine

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Indy star article

:confused: