Supreme Court lifts federal ban on sports betting

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
It actually took me a long time to understand the case but basically they removed the ban because the law banning gambling was written as bans on the state level (no state may do X). Apparently that's a no no when it comes to federal law. Had they written the law as (no individual may gamble) then we could still have a sports betting ban. Basically the federal government is not allowed to commandeer the states directly when it comes to law like this.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't understand any of this story and I'm too lazy to google about it.
I'm very surprised that the US had such a law in the first place. So you don't have the equivalent of football pools?

As far as I can see, a large part of the purpose of sports seems to be to support a gambling industry (I can't, myself, see any other point in it!).

The biggest reason to ban it, I would have said, was that it creates a huge incentive for rackets and corruption and "match fixing" (as has happened more than once with cricket). But how come the 'take a dive' idea is such a common feature of movies featuring boxing matches (Pulp Fiction, for just one example)?

When was this anti-sports-betting law passed, and who passed it, and how come they didn't realise then it had this problem with Federal laws and the states? Was it a recent thing that went straight to the Supremes (I would assume so, otherwise how to explain all those movies with fixed boxing matches as a plot-point)?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I don't understand any of this story and I'm too lazy to google about it.
I'm very surprised that the US had such a law in the first place. So you don't have the equivalent of football pools?

As far as I can see, a large part of the purpose of sports seems to be to support a gambling industry (I can't, myself, see any other point in it!).

The biggest reason to ban it, I would have said, was that it creates a huge incentive for rackets and corruption and "match fixing" (as has happened more than once with cricket). But how come the 'take a dive' idea is such a common feature of movies featuring boxing matches (Pulp Fiction, for just one example)?

When was this anti-sports-betting law passed, and who passed it, and how come they didn't realise then it had this problem with Federal laws and the states? Was it a recent thing that went straight to the Supremes (I would assume so, otherwise how to explain all those movies with fixed boxing matches as a plot-point)?
Think Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Shoeless Joe Jackson - Wikipedia