Discussion Supreme Court leaker search comes up as empty as their hearts

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015

And Alito is worried about being assassinated as public opinion of the court continues to sit at barely one fourth of the country.

It seems likely tho that the court didn't really want to find the answer since the peeps most likely to leak who also had access are the numerous clerks the justices hire every year. They generally depart the court at the end of one (but sometimes more) term.

One thing as an aside, but jump on it with hammer and tongs if you wish (and like mixed metaphors), but it seems that even in light of the Ginni Thomas kerfuffle, CJ Roberts seems to have no interest in creating a code of ethics for the justices. I guess when you're at the top of the food pyramid, you don't have much incentive to reform, even as you sit at the abysmal approval rating of 25% and some of your justices are worried about getting whacked.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

And Alito is worried about being assassinated as public opinion of the court continues to sit at barely one fourth of the country.

It seems likely tho that the court didn't really want to find the answer since the peeps most likely to leak who also had access are the numerous clerks the justices hire every year. They generally depart the court at the end of one (but sometimes more) term.

One thing as an aside, but jump on it with hammer and tongs if you wish (and like mixed metaphors), but it seems that even in light of the Ginni Thomas kerfuffle, CJ Roberts seems to have no interest in creating a code of ethics for the justices. I guess when you're at the top of the food pyramid, you don't have much incentive to reform, even as you sit at the abysmal approval rating of 25% and some of your justices are worried about getting whacked.

If Alito was so worried about his life why didn’t he turn over the leak investigation to DOJ? They have far more resources and can get to the bottom this.

My theory and it matches the concern on the right. At first when the leaker was in question Fox was all over the leak case. Anyone notice they don’t talk about it now? IMO leaker was a right wing justice or one of their staff leaked it trying to blunt the outrage before the final decision

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
If Alito was so worried about his life why didn’t he turn over the leak investigation to DOJ? They have far more resources and can get to the bottom this.

My theory and it matches the concern on the right. At first when the leaker was in question Fox was all over the leak case. Anyone notice they don’t talk about it now? IMO leaker was a right wing justice or one of their staff leaked it trying to blunt the outrage before the final decision
I’m sure the investigator never questioned any of the justices or their spouses.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
They probably discovered Alito leaked it himself.

Probably true.
It makes sense with such a major ruling, one they know might cause havoc across the nation, that they would leak it first as a clue to see just how bad the firestorm might become. If the court made a ruling that could cause the national guard to be called out or rioting looting and burning down cities, then the court could be accused of creating such chaos. They would be accused as the instigators. And so.... a little leaking first, where no one at the time of the leak really knew if the leak was real or false or maybe the ruling would be amended before the final release? So this was a planned leak to test the waters before the final "set in stone" ruling came down.

Seriously, this would be of no surprised considering how political the court has become AND how totally absolutely unprofessional they have become. This court is an insult to courts and justices of days gone past. For this current court to wear those black robes is an insult to justice. They should be wearing clown suits with red MAGA hats, and the name DONALD TRUMP tattooed across their asses. That is, all except for the few liberal justices. Who were they again???

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They probably discovered Alito leaked it himself.
Yes, Alito is the most likely source as he is the most partisan justice, even worse than Thomas. Thomas is of course an ultra right extremist but he occasionally has opinions that deviate from the interests of the Republican Party. Alito? Never. You can predict with almost perfect accuracy how he will vote knowing nothing about the case other than which side Republicans want to win.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Alito sounds plausible. I would also suspect Uncle Clarence who told that wife of his who then blabbed to others. Ginnie was one of the people calling Mark Meadows encouraging him to help Trump overthrow the election.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Alito sounds plausible. I would also suspect Uncle Clarence who told that wife of his who then blabbed to others. Ginnie was one of the people calling Mark Meadows encouraging him to help Trump overthrow the election.
Thomas is possible too, yes.

Regardless, as people said at the time this was an attempt to blunt criticism of the court by changing the subject. The fact that they vowed to get to the bottom of this and then never interviewed a single justice about the issue shows there was never any interest in finding the leaker.

This is just another example of how the court is a political institution and should be treated like one.

Feb 4, 2009
While the ruling sucked and I don’t agree with it, I do feel it is responsible in a sense to investigate whomever or how it leaked.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While the ruling sucked and I don’t agree with it, I do feel it is responsible in a sense to investigate whomever or how it leaked.
It would be responsible to investigate who leaked it and how, which makes SCOTUS' refusal to actually investigate it all the more suspicious.

Like... how do you investigate the leak of an opinion without talking to the guy who wrote the opinion? He's the original source!

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
In other news regarding the Supreme Court Democrats have introduced legislation that would reverse Citizens United. I have my doubts it would pass now or even would have prior to the most recent election, but this needs to be done.

Feb 4, 2009
It would be responsible to investigate who leaked it and how, which makes SCOTUS' refusal to actually investigate it all the more suspicious.

Like... how do you investigate the leak of an opinion without talking to the guy who wrote the opinion? He's the original source!

Ah I get it

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
In other news regarding the Supreme Court Democrats have introduced legislation that would reverse Citizens United. I have my doubts it would pass now or even would have prior to the most recent election, but this needs to be done.
It’s a stunt. Sorry—but it is. There is no “legislation” they can pass to effect this change because it would have to be ratified by a plurality of the states, and way too many state legislatures are under dark money control already. Nevermind the fact that they’ll never even get it to a floor vote in the House.

Reactions: ivwshane

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
It’s a stunt. Sorry—but it is. There is no “legislation” they can pass to effect this change because it would have to be ratified by a plurality of the states, and way too many state legislatures are under dark money control already. Nevermind the fact that they’ll never even get it to a floor vote in the House.

I think almost all of the activities undertaken by congress can be classified as performative or stunts. Exceptions are rare.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think at this point we've seen our last constitutional amendment, at least for any controversial thing.

Don't amend the Constitution, amend the court.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I think at this point we've seen our last constitutional amendment, at least for any controversial thing.

Don't amend the Constitution, amend the court.

I'll go even further ... I think it's more likely we have a new constitutional convention than a normal amendment.

Agree about the court though. Expand and modernize.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Which investigation was more ineffective, the "Search for the Supreme Court Leaker" or "Orenthal James Simpson's Search for the Real Killer?"

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Which investigation was more ineffective, the "Search for the Supreme Court Leaker" or "Orenthal James Simpson's Search for the Real Killer?"
OJ probably at least actually hoped to find someone he could blame.