Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
This presumes Harris still does not have ambitions of her own, which seems unlikely.

Ketanji Brown Jackson is the front runner for the seat. Biden interviewed her personally for the DC Circuit court and was approved by all Dems and three Republicans.
The lone republican pundit on CNN, Scott Jennings, "Expect all Republicans to vote NO!!! Treat this nominee like how they treated Kavanagh and ACB"

Like how can the 3 Republicans that voted yes as federal judge then turn around and vote no for SC?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This presumes Harris still does not have ambitions of her own, which seems unlikely.

Ketanji Brown Jackson is the front runner for the seat. Biden interviewed her personally for the DC Circuit court and was approved by all Dems and three Republicans.

Yeah ... Ketanji Brown Jackson and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leondra_Kruger have been commonly mentioned. I’d put money on Jackson, because she was just confirmed to a circuit court position 53-44, including 3 Republican “yeas” (Graham, Collins and Murkowski). I’m sure that Graham would reverse himself, but it would be harder for Collins or Murkowski or potential D defectors like Manchin or Sinema to reverse course after going on record supporting her. Her husband’s twin brother is brother-in-law to former Speaker Paul Ryan. Ryan even testified on her behalf when she was first nominated to a district court position in 2012.

Reactions: hal2kilo

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The lone republican pundit on CNN, Scott Jennings, "Expect all Republicans to vote NO!!! Treat this nominee like how they treated Kavanagh and ACB"

Like how can the 3 Republicans that voted yes as federal judge then turn around and vote no for SC?

What a crock of shit line of reasoning.
A nominee had things pop up in his background and then that same nominee lost his shit in a fucking hearing.

Barret just gave non answers to tons of question and everyone was dealing the fucking hypocrisy of McConnell's bullshit.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

It's possible but I do doubt Murkowski or Collins would vote against somebody they twice elevated to the federal bench.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah ... Ketanji Brown Jackson and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leondra_Kruger have been commonly mentioned. I’d put money on Jackson, because she was just confirmed to a circuit court position 53-44, including 3 Republican “yeas” (Graham, Collins and Murkowski). I’m sure that Graham would reverse himself, but it would be harder for Collins or Murkowski or potential D defectors like Manchin or Sinema to reverse course after going on record supporting her. Her husband’s twin brother is brother-in-law to former Speaker Paul Ryan. Ryan even testified on her behalf when she was first nominated to a district court position in 2012.

Jackson seems like the most obvious first choice given the political realities of a slimmed down BBB (or whatever they want to cal it these days). Progressives like her and she doesn't offend the moderates. I think her background is a good one for the court as well.

Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Except the Dems are using changes made by the Pubs against them for judicial appointments, this even works out for the SCOTUS nominee.

How Senate Dems reaped the benefits from 2 little-known GOP maneuvers - POLITICO

Senate Democrats lost their fight to weaken the filibuster, but they're capitalizing big on another rules change — that the GOP pushed.

After an Obama administration marked by Democratic frustration over the pace of judicial confirmations, the party is making notable progress on approving President Joe Biden's picks for the federal bench thanks to a 2019 Republican move to speed up the confirmation of most presidential nominees.

Although the change benefited Republicans at the time, it has allowed Democrats to confirm judges during Biden’s first year at a pace that was last rivaled by former President Ronald Reagan’s initial 365 days in office.

Yea, I just imagine Sinema picking up the phone:

Sinema : Hello Master Cock.
Mr Koch : Yo broad, gonna wire you another million, plus you be pres 2024 for sure promise. I am gonna need you to block that judge.
Sinema : Yes Master Cock.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
What kind of GOP shenanigans can we expect?

The most easy and obvious shenanigan. The shenanigan of all shenanigans. The shenanigan to put that evil smirk back on McConnell's lips.
The shenanigan...?
Simple. To bring Manchin and Sinema over into the republican party.

McConnell has been courting Manchin and Sinema trying to bring them over, and now that the two are so hated by the democrat party both just might take the bait. This would be so typical of the two. And after the two announce their departure, then McConnell can simply do what McConnell does so well.... to block any nomination. Just claim that the process should wait until after the midterms, or ask whats the rush, or come up with a new lame excuse like "the congress has no time for this, we must focus on Russia and Ukraine.
I absolutely predict that either Manchin or Sinema or both will flee over to the republican party and Donald Trump will end up installing still another justice on the high court in 2025.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yeah, we all know this confirmation process is going to be a jumbo grade AA shit show with a side of bacon.

Expect a list including (but not limited to) the following:
- Breyer resigning is politicizing the bench
- Dems are using unfair rules changes to press forward
- Dems are "picking a super leftist"
- Dems should not be trying to "preselect" who to fill a seat based on race
- c'mon just look at her!
- Multiple highly questionable unsubstantiated claims of being tangentially tied to some sort of political activist group in her distant past.
- Why won't she answer our absurdly loaded questions during confirmation?
- No but really LOOK AT HER!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
You doubt it? These are REPUBLICANS we're talking about. They are hypocritical in EVERYTHING they do and say. I guarantee they will vote against them. It is WHAT THEY DO.

Manchin, Sinema and those conservative donors who own their asses must be giving it their best effort to find out how those three Repubs will vote given that a simple majority is all that's required to select a justice for the Supreme Court. This is where those three have a chance to sell themselves to the highest bidders and really cash in on the deal. Their being Repubs, chances are that much more probable.

Those three Repubs must be getting a lot of pressure from their GOP bosses to play that hypocrite tune that McConnell made so popular the last time a Supreme Court judge came up for selection.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Republicans are probably fuming over Biden saying that he is going to put a black woman on the bench. Wonder how FoxNews is going to weave that into their editorials.
"Why don't you nominate the person most qualified!!!! Why do you have to use affirmative action to nominate Judge!!! Biden is racists against white people!!""
Biden (calls bluff) - Ok, I nominate this white guy who has top ratings from the ABA. Plenty of judicial experience and everyone one in the legal system vouches that he is a top pick.

(GOP compares name to their federalists society list and don't find his membership. Doesn't bother to look at the nominees record or bother with interviews)
He is a dangerous radical and we vote no!!!

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
This will be a shit show. Republicans will likely try to block this, and unfortunately, they have a way.

Is this for real?

Wonder if pulling something like this would hurt the GOP's chances of taking the Senate in 2022.

Who am I kidding, the public is ready to award them supermarjorities at this point.

Oh well. Does it even matter at this point? 6-3, 7-2, whatevs.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You know Fox, who has nothing but negative distain for a certain VP. That's who they wish would be picked for the selection. I wonder why?

Democrats have a taste of why. For a villain. The Hillary effect. Trash and burn, and once it is smoldering ash, trash and burn some more. Never relent, never surrender. On the personal attacks.

They wish it be Harris to 1: talk about how bad she is for VP. 2: Hope to plant seeds of division among Democrats.

Mostly, they have a need to repeatedly talk about the object of their ire. So they whip the base up with news of villainy. Bonus round: They talk of Hillary becoming VP. It is all too predictable actually.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I couldn't care less about this. Replacing one liberal Supreme Court Justice will not change the make up of the court. Do it already. :)

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Let's ask Sinema and Manchin if they want to vote to buck that rule, or if they'd rather let Mitch McConnell pick the SCOTUS.

Reading the Twitter comments on his article and it seems that overwhelming majority think he is wrong, that even despite all those hoops, a simple majority vote would do it, not 60.

Reactions: Jaskalas

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Reading the Twitter comments on his article and it seems that overwhelming majority think he is wrong, that even despite all those hoops, a simple majority vote would do it, not 60.
Yeah, I think if this was right they'd be doing it on all the judges.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oh dear conservatives are out in force complaining that Biden is racist and/or sexist by saying a black woman should get the seat and that he's not picking the "most qualified" candidate independently of those considerations.

Lil bit awkward after insisting Barrett should be confirmed even though she never tried a case in her life and explicitly because she was a woman.

Reactions: soundforbjt

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This will be a shit show. Republicans will likely try to block this, and unfortunately, they have a way.

There was an update to your article...
Editor’s Note: The original version of this story incorrectly stated that Republicans could use Senate rules to block a Biden Supreme Court nomination. It was based on the author’s incorrect analysis of a May 13, 2021, Congressional Research Service report. The Senate will require a majority of votes to approve Justice Stephen Breyer’s replacement, not 60 votes.

Dec 10, 2005
Oh dear conservatives are out in force complaining that Biden is racist and/or sexist by saying a black woman should get the seat and that he's not picking the "most qualified" candidate independently of those considerations.

Lil bit awkward after insisting Barrett should be confirmed even though she never tried a case in her life and explicitly because she was a woman.
Or how they lined in behind Boof PJ McGee.

"Most qualified" is probably their new dog whistle for "white".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
There was an update to your article...

I'm not even really sure that McConnell would materially move to block a nomination or hold down R votes for it. They've more than got what they want already and there are broader political considerations for a number of his caucus. He'll make nose but I don't know about twisting arms. Now if Alito and Thomas carpooled together and were squished by a drunk driver yeah he'd probably burn the place down to prevent votes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Or how they lined in behind Boof PJ McGee.

"Most qualified" is probably their new dog whistle for "white".

Seems you can scream at the hiring panel and still get the job as long as they identify with your privilege, most qualified or not.

To pretend that there is no political component to a SCOTUS nom simply flies in the face of basically all history on the subject also. Ironic that Garland was probably the most non-political nomination in my lifetime and he got screwed over.