Supreme Court appears/may/possibly uphold ACA

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Interesting turn of events
Thread title is incorrect, they haven't issued a ruling yet. Until that happens we're all just reading tea leaves based on their questions and comments.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Agreed that title is a premature assumption.

It is interesting that Kavanaugh appeared to be one of the early voices against the republican goal.

Remember, that despite what we may think of the two new conservative justices, they likely view themselves as smarter than Trump. In Kavanaugh's case, he appears narcissistic enough to believe he was appointed based on merits, and thus doesn't really owe Trump anything. I'm trying to optimistically say that maybe this is a sign that the supreme court won't act as radical enforcers for Trumpism and it's whims. They may not be as bad as Barr.... fingers crossed.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Another factor: many, many legal observers, including stalwart conservative bastions like National Review, have commented that the plaintiffs' arguments in favor of standing and non-severability are complete bullshit. That O'Conner and the appellate judges are so partisan as to overlook the obvious deficiencies in the case does not invalidate the fact that someone like Roberts is smart enough to know that accepting plaintiffs' arguments dismantles precedent to such a degree as to cause irrevocable damage to the justice system.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Agreed that title is a premature assumption.

It is interesting that Kavanaugh appeared to be one of the early voices against the republican goal.

Remember, that despite what we may think of the two new conservative justices, they likely view themselves as smarter than Trump. In Kavanaugh's case, he appears narcissistic enough to believe he was appointed based on merits, and thus doesn't really owe Trump anything. I'm trying to optimistically say that maybe this is a sign that the supreme court won't act as radical enforcers for Trumpism and it's whims. They may not be as bad as Barr.... fingers crossed.

This legal attack is really inane. They could still take up another challenge to it potentially.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It’s a poor legal challenge and it appears that the conservative majority, contrary to irrational fears, while they may be originalists, they are not Trump ideologues. The ACA may be a poorly constructed law, but its not the role of the judiciary to rewrite it, nor can they strike down the entirety of it due to legal semantics.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This Spring/summer most likely.

Interesting in the sense that timing is often used as a tool by the Repubs and I wouldn't put it past the Roberts court to play this game for the benefit of the party they owe their jobs to.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While I’m open to other examples as far as legal reasoning goes I cannot think of a stupider case in the history of the United States. I would even include Dredd Scott in this.

This is a case by morons and hacks virtue signaling to other morons.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The conservative judges' rulings entirely depend on the larger state of play for Republicans. They desperately need to keep the Senate, so they won't make waves before the runoff. Had the lummox won re-election, the ACA would probably be out already.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Doesn’t matter if Trump is successful in stealing the election. Even if ACA survives the court, Trump during a second term would continue to attack or find ways to chip away at ACA.