Supreme Commander 2 - not bad at all

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i've put off playing Supcom2 for years because of the absolutely horrid reviews i'd read;

then one day i found myself bored with Minecraft, too tired for quakelive, and too good at Forged Alliance, and i popped in a copy i had lying about.

So, i like Supreme Commander 2. i might say i like ti even more than SupCom.

The game is structured so that two players are pretty much always equal. in SupCom, you could reclaim more mass from a battle near your base than you'd get from five minutes of mass extraction. in SupCom 2, you might reclaim a couple hundred points, surely an advantage, but nothing game-breaking.

Also, in SupCom, it was possible to deviate enormously from what your opponent was doing; you could concentrate on mass production, or spam units, or tech up, or turtle, you could have 10 engineers on one factory, or have ten factories.

SupCom 2 has a more "chessboard" like approach; your opponent is doing exactly what you are doing, so small changes will dictate the result of the game.

The unit automation is much better. In a RTS game, this is no small thing.

They also made away with the "unit keeps shooting at the ground", exagerated 3d map issues that SupCom had, so using the battle map (lowest map zoom) is now a viable way to conduct your battles.

Unit balance is .. weird.
SupCom had the same units for all 3 races; SupCom 2 has actual differences. It's actually a part of the game to have one race with stronger land units, and so forth. The game lets you know right away that you need to understand what each race's units do, and if this seems like blasphemy, remember what RTS games were back when? You don't send you NOD light tanks to fight GDI's medium tanks.

Experimentals are more balanced now, in my opinion.
in SupCom, if you saw a Galactic Colossus already halfway across the map, and you didn't already own a fleet of nuke bombers, your game was over. There was a lot of randomness involved in planning a defence, given how expensive everything was. Nuke defence? kills your economy. Shields? Kills you economy. Nuke bombers? kills.. you get my drift.
Even building a Fatboy could take 300 mass per second or more.

Also, experimentals are much less powerful and can be killed by a sizable force of regular units.

Regular units .. there's only about four of them. You will start building your tech 1 tank right away, then you keep building them for the rest of the game.
What you will do is, you have research points, your classic RPG upgrades.

Was this the "dumbing down" everybody spoke of?

Considering that research stations are very expensive, and that mass extractors are about as expensive as a factory, you are making quite an investment when building one.

SupCom 2 can have real economy stalling, which imho, is a important factor in gameplay.
In SupCom, you could be in the red with energy and mass, and slowly but steadily, you would still build whatever you were trying to. SupCom 2 is not like that, you pay upfront for everything, so if all your "money" is going on tanks, you'll never manage to build that one more mass extractor.

And this si why i think SupCom 2 is maybe, just maybe, better than SupCom 1.

In SupCom, mass extractors (map control points) were soon useless - you built mass fabricators and tech 3 power reactors to fuel your economy; the "send the harvester in enemy territory to extract Tiberium" gameplay element is rendered obsolete, taking away a great source of challenge and enjoyment.

In SupCom 2, there is no such thing. You *must* control the map. You must also play to your strengths and fear the enemy's, and you can't have everything at once.

That's it. I give SupCom 2 a 8/10, and suggest you try it. Its great for beginners, but it's the veterans that will love it the most, if they manage to do away with their preconceptions of what a good RTS should be.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I have a copy of SC2 from an Amazon pack. I might try it out at some point.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
You probably know about this but in case you didn't,

http://www.faforever.com/

active forged alliance community with lightweight/good UI

I definitely don't agree on SC2 being > SC1 but the patch that changed the economy helped a lot

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
SC2 introduced some things that SC1 really needed, but its story and acting were atrocious. Not that SC1 was excellently written, but SC2 was a new level of bad.

As for the game play, SC2 is quite fun, but doesnt have the same drama as SC1.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
You made good observations DigDog and I agree on some points (mostly agreeing on the more distinguishable differences between the factions compared to SC1 in which indeed all factions basically have their own version of the same units), but I for one still prefer SC1 overall. It's mostly due to the "freedom" of basically turtling or teching up slowly if I feel like it, rather than telling myself "I'm doing this, but the opponent is doing exactly the same too". The later isn't a problem or a bad thing on its own, but in a grand scale game like SC1 was (and still is) the "chaotic", freedom and unpredictability of your opponent's play style (including the A.Is of course) made it better for me overall. There's skirmishes in which I spent hours (literally, on normal game speed) building two or three experimental units on a small map with limited resources, concentrating on that while basically only defending my own base and occasionally sending reinforcements for my A.I allies, and then eventually unleashing my exps on the enemy. I've had skirmishes that lasted for days (not of continuous non-stop play, but after multiple short sessions you'd have played for days in those matches).

With this said however, I must say that I haven't touched SC2 in probably a year+ by now and supposedly that last big patch they made that came out of the blue fixed a number of things that makes it at least better than it was prior to said patch (not just about the economy but I remember reading changes about the A.I. as well in that patch notes). I'll probably give it another try some time again but honestly I don't exactly "miss" it either. My SC1 (plus expansion) copy is installed and I play a skirmish at least once a month and every time I'm having a blast. I do remember saying once (on these forums, months ago) that SC2 was mediocre, but perhaps if I give it more time and another go (with that latest patch) then perhaps I'll change my mind on some things but I'm still convinced that ultimately SC1 is still better.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
To me, Supcom 2 is just like Dragon Age 2. It's a bastardized sequel that threw out a very large portion of what made the first game great, along with a hefty dose of dumbing down that just made it unplayable.

I bought Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance for around $40, and to this day I think that was a great purchase. I bought Supcom 2 for $5 and I still feel like it was a major ripoff.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Supcom 2 is a great example of dumbing down a game from its predecessor to reach a larger market and failing to understand what made the first so great. They thought, hey if we make it simple and put it on a console it will do well. Like RTS's have some great legacy on consoles

I'm still damn bitter about how this game turned out considering SC1 FA is one of my fav RTS's ever.

Buddyd

Apr 1, 2009
SupCom 2 filled a void for me. I am a casual player and enjoy a good co-op com stomp but none of my friends either heard of or had any interested in SupCom 1 or FA. I reluctantly bought Starcraft 2 so I could game with my friends and after 2 weeks I couldn't handle it anymore, why is zooming all the way out not an industry standard, so as a compromise I bought two of my friends SupCom 2 and so far 3 years later we still play at least one game every weekend I say it was well worth the purchase for me.

For me SupCom 2 is a downgrade but for my friends who where raised on the Starcraft style it was a breath of fresh air. SupCom 2 may ultimately be a failure by the numbers but 3 years later my friends still find new things that they love about the game to comment on while we play.

I must say the AI programming in SupCom 2 is excellent it does not equate to playing against another person but it brings enough to the table to be an enjoyable experience, lots of credit to Sorian here who has even answered my PM's on the GPG forums.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
personally, i have had a few issues with SupCom 1;

even at lowest settings, it becomes unplayable around the 2k units mark. my fault ofc, but still.
i hate losing a battle because my superior force is shooting at a piece of rock or ground, and some other minor unit bug (like a stuck engineer).

imho the cybran T2 rocket bots shooting down gunships is ridiculous.

bombers are luck-based.

but what i find most frustration is that sometimes you can play a perfect game, and lose because the other guy has built the one thing you didn't prepare for, be it a nuke, artillery, a bunch of tactical missiles, horde of gunships, rush of tanks, and so on.
the brick is also OP..so OP.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
personally, i have had a few issues with SupCom 1;

even at lowest settings, it becomes unplayable around the 2k units mark. my fault ofc, but still.
i hate losing a battle because my superior force is shooting at a piece of rock or ground, and some other minor unit bug (like a stuck engineer).

imho the cybran T2 rocket bots shooting down gunships is ridiculous.

bombers are luck-based.

but what i find most frustration is that sometimes you can play a perfect game, and lose because the other guy has built the one thing you didn't prepare for, be it a nuke, artillery, a bunch of tactical missiles, horde of gunships, rush of tanks, and so on.
the brick is also OP..so OP.

The fact you can get anywhere near 2 thousand units says TONS about the engine.
You are supposed to use high ground tactics and thing about how your teams are deployed.

Bombers arent lucky, they are poor aimers. Yur supposed to use a crapload of them and carpet the enemy base.

With the latest patch you can disable game enders like nukes and heavy artillery.

Feb 4, 2009
Alright I've tried before and failed but I have to try again:
Who's up for an AT Sup Com/Forged Alliance fight night? We'll keep it friendly, few of us against CPU(s) on cheating. Could be good times.
OP I'm glad you found a great game for you and your buds personally Sup Com 2 made me sad.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I didn't play SupCom2 for long but I could already sense it was a dumbed down game. Discovering the lesser significance of Experimentals in SupCom2 killed any remaining wish I had in playing that game.

Aug 11, 2008
I haven't played recently, but I thought sup com 2 was decent, but the balance was not that good. Some units like artillery were seriously overpowered.