Supposed ipad 3 screen examined

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/17/alleged-ipad-3-retina-display-examined-under-a-microscope/

ipad2ipad3pixels.jpg

There are no shortage of iPad 3 rumors out there. Quad-core A6, LTE radio, Retina Display -- we've heard it all, but haven't actually seen much in the way of evidence. Now Mac Rumors claims to have gotten its paws on part of the mythical beast. The site has a 9.7-inch LCD, in the same aspect ratio as the iPad and iPad 2 that certainly appears to be rocking a full 2048 x 1536 resolution. Without a way to power the screen its a little tough to be certain, but the same area of the alleged iPad 3 panel does seem to house twice as many pixels as its predecessor when viewed under the same magnification. Could this in fact be the Retina Display destined to put iOS 5.1 in the hands of millions of tablet fans? We'll just have to wait for Tim Cook to reveal of its secrets too us, which should be happening sooner, rather than later.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
What sucks here is I'd love to have an iPad 2, but I'll have to wait until the iPad 4 or maybe even 5 to get a 2 for a decent price :(

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
People will be dumping the 2's left and right after this announcement if true. The smart one's have already started

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I think my wife wants an upgrade. All of sudden her iPad2 has a cracked screen. I think I'm going to buy her iPad3 and take the iPad2. My daughter is fine with her iPad1. She uses her iPod Touch more than the iPad.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
That's a really nice resolution...

The screen on the iPad 2 is very good already, people are going to freak out on how good it looks

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
What sucks here is I'd love to have an iPad 2, but I'll have to wait until the iPad 4 or maybe even 5 to get a 2 for a decent price :(

Try craigslist or ebay right after the new ones go on sale. A retina display is something a lot of people may want to upgrade to, so you might pick up a good deal and get one for around $200. By the time the iPad 5 (or perhaps even 4) comes out, the iPad 2 won't be on sale and will seem so antiquated that you'll be waiting for the iPad 3 to go for a decent price.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I wonder if this new ipad will be 1k. I'm also wondering if Samsung is gonna show off its 2560x1600 tablet at MWC in order to preempt this release.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Not sure why they are still on 4:3. Not saying 4:3 is bad, but is certainly not great for movies and for widescreen games made for iphone..

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Not sure why they are still on 4:3. Not saying 4:3 is bad, but is certainly not great for movies and for widescreen games made for iphone..

yeah, but it's great for everything else I think. I am not fond of these 16:9/16:10 screens (though, finally held a transformer prime, the only one I'd consider of that ratio). I want to see more folks do 4:3, but I know it's not likely going to happen.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
What will piss me off is if all that resolution and we still have an iOS experience. I am getting really bored of the generic iOS look already.

Hopefully there will be an OSX option.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
What will piss me off is if all that resolution and we still have an iOS experience. I am getting really bored of the generic iOS look already.

Doubtful. Apple could certainly do it, but they won't, simply because they won't think the user experience is up to snuff. On the other hand, it's pretty unlikely that Apple pumped billions into display manufacturers just to get better tablet displays. I expect that these displays will also work their way into their notebooks.

L33tMasta

Jul 26, 2006

I remember when I first hear the iPad rumours that I hoped it would be a full OSX experience. Then I learned it was just a bigger version of my iPhone and was disappointed. If they throw OSX on that thing and make it a true tablet PC I would buy it day one.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I wonder if this new ipad will be 1k. I'm also wondering if Samsung is gonna show off its 2560x1600 tablet at MWC in order to preempt this release.

I could be mistaken but it's not a true 1600p

I remember when I first hear the iPad rumours that I hoped it would be a full OSX experience. Then I learned it was just a bigger version of my iPhone and was disappointed. If they throw OSX on that thing and make it a true tablet PC I would buy it day one.

If you look at the failed tablets of the past, there's a very good reason why a desktop OS isn't on a tablet. Just because it sounds good doesn't mean it's going to be user friendly.

Last edited:

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006

I actually like the 4:3 aspect ratio for a tablet. It works much better for portrait mode than a 16:10 display IMO.

At any rate, don't expect Apple to move to a different aspect ratio any time soon. That would mean breaking compatibility with existing iPad apps.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
That's a really nice resolution...

The screen on the iPad 2 is very good already, people are going to freak out on how good it looks

Apple does tend to source absolutely beautiful IPS displays, and I certainly hope, for consumer's sake, they do indeed continue to use 8bit IPS for panel type (or better).

If you want similar GPU performance, however, I certainly hope Apple is planning one hell of a beastly GPU in the A6 specifications. I am worried it'll be behind the curve yet again, however, since I doubt Apple will wait for Cortex A15 SoCs to be available. LTE is quite likely this time, however, considering they'll probably have a SoC with an integrated LTE radio package.

Depending on product release timeframe, actual specs, competition, and probability of other product specs... the iPad 3 might be able to convince my wallet. However, is there much of a hacking scene for the iPads, specifically in the realm of booting another OS? I really want to avoid having to dip into two market ecosystems, and I refuse to let go of Android for my phones... and if any OS were to convince me otherwise, it would be Win8/WP8, as then desktop/mobile integration would be basically perfect (though Google integration might not be as great :(), and I would have access to my full Zune subscription on my phone as well (eventually, I know my ZuneHD will eventually perish or grow far too stale).

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for Retina display MacBook Pro's. Now that the iPad 3 can get that resolution, there's no doubt that it wouldn't take long for MacBooks to follow suit.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
If you look at the failed tablets of the past, there's a very good reason why a desktop OS isn't on a tablet. Just because it sounds good doesn't mean it's going to be user friendly.

I can do without a full OS. But to have a better than 1080p screen with no window management is rough. A quad-core, high-res super tablet should be able to do some side-by-side multitasking. Already people are hacking that ability onto Android:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.myboyfriendisageek.stickit

Shlong

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2002
With all the lawsuits & disputes, it's a bit ironic that Samsung will be making this screen along with LG.

Depending on the price, I might purchase the ipad 3 (I'm still on the first ipad).