Suppose Congress does not approve an attack on Syria...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Does Obama attack without the approval of Congress?

• Yes

• No

• I have no idea.

Results are only viewable after voting.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
The US needs a way to assasinate Assad.
This will help cut off Russia's oil.
We are not supposed to assinate world leaders, so we need a way to spin it as a military action.
We probably have spooks and satellites tracking his every move.
He'll be dead within a month regardless of what congress decides
No drones needed.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
The US needs a way to assasinate Assad.
This will help cut off Russia's oil.
We are not supposed to assinate world leaders, so we need a way to spin it as a military action.
We probably have spooks and satellites tracking his every move.
He'll be dead within a month regardless of what congress decides
No drones needed.

Hmm, no. This does not make sense at all. Russia has actually been selling energy in the last decade, afaik. They don't need the Middle East for oil.

Could we kill him if we wanted to? Probably. Would it be in the best interest of the USA? Probably not.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Of course he will. He doesn't give a shit what the people or congress has to say about it.

And when he does we should impeach his sorry ass!

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm leaning towards yes, but none of us have the full picture. He'd have to weigh the consequences of defying congress over the consequences of looking weak. Given that only he knows what his agenda for the next 3 years is, depends on which decision would affect that the most.

I'd give it 60% odds he'd attack anyway, Libya style, but as I said none of us have enough of a picture to really judge.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Monday Night Football is on ESPN. I don't see that being preempted.

I don't know who Micheal Bay is, though.

Fern

TV interviews on Monday, addresses the nation on Tuesday.

September 10th, terrorism will probably be mentioned and the highlight of the address.