Support for gay marriage may be leveling off

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/us/poll-su...hR4P/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

A survey released Monday from the Pew Research Center indicates American support for same-sex marriage could be leveling off after several years of dramatic growth in acceptance of equal rights for gays and lesbians.

The study's authors caution it's too soon to draw any definitive conclusions. But the new poll released Monday found a 5 percentage point drop since February, from 54 percent to 49 percent, in Americans who want legal recognition for same-sex relationships.

The percentage of those opposed increased during that same period, from 39 percent in February to 41 percent last month.

People are getting tired of the gay communities heavy handed tactics. Don't like our lifestyle? Here is a lawsuit and where is our money?

The gay community is reaping what they sow. You sow intolerance for those who disagree with your lifestyle, that is what you are going to reap.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
people who can't tolerate other people aren't tolerated by the people who can't tolerate them??

sounds convoluted and stupid.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Damn those gays for using the courts to fight against oppression! They should just do what all the other groups do, stop using "heavy handedness" and just firebomb that abortion clinic or drag someone behind a truck until their head is cut off by a culvert.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I like the part where the poll showed a 2% increase in opposition (with a +/- 2.5% margin of error).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Robert Jones, chief executive of Public Religion Research Institute, a nonprofit group that conducts surveys on religion and public life, said it's particularly challenging to interpret surveys on gay marriage because the numbers have changed so dramatically over a very short period. He noted that support has been driven by younger people, who tend to be far more accepting of same-sex relationships than their parents. He said polling by his organization over this past summer showed fluctuations in support, but backing remained between 56 percent and 51 percent.

"The fundamentals underneath the trend remain very solid — in the generational breaks that are driving this," Jones said. "The long-term curve on this trend doesn't show any retreat."

So not really then.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Doesn't matter, in the near future all states with laws against same sex marriage will be deemed unconstitutional and struck from their books.

I guess you have a to have a perpetual case of chapped ass when it comes to Same Sex Marriage, Abortion, and Child Support laws.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Support for gay marriage should have zero influence on legalization of gay marriage anyway.

That said, I'm calling outlier on this pole.

Feb 6, 2007
So support for gay marriage might be leveling off based on a single poll that shows support for gay marriage still has a double digit lead over opposition to gay marriage? Seems like a convincing reason to keep it illegal to me!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Doesn't matter, in the near future all states with laws against same sex marriage will be deemed unconstitutional and struck from their books.

I guess you have a to have a perpetual case of chapped ass when it comes to Same Sex Marriage, Abortion, and Child Support laws.

I wonder if he feels gay when he wipes. I guess the only thing that can save him now is not to think hippopotamus.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

But, he thinks religion has no place in laws! He said so himself!

I can't wait until we can all just look back and laugh at how stupid the marriage equality fighters were. Similar, to how we can look back on racists and people who thought the world was flat.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Support for gay marriage should have zero influence on legalization of gay marriage anyway.

That said, I'm calling outlier on this pole.

Seriously.

If the support for slavery starts rising should the government legalize slavery?

Posting in a TH thread...

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pew_Charitable_Trusts

Founded by rich, conservative, religious wackos who wanted to change public opinions in government to their favor, but also claims to be non-partisan and non-ideological. Yea, just color me completely convinced about the legitimacy of that gay marriage poll Takeahiker.

Did they also make sure they asked the question to every Christian they always poll listed in their handy dandy Rolodex for Jesus pollsters, too?

"The trust also helped fund the Gospel and Our Culture Network, which published books such as Missional Church: A vision for the sending of the Church in North America.[19]"

So they really are what they claim they aren't after all.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I seriously doubt support for gay marriage will ever reach close to 100%.

81% of people under 30 support SSM... I don't see how someone could change their view on that as they get older (while the older people who are against it will be dying off, hopefully sooner rather than later)

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/poll-tracks-dramatic-rise-in-support-for-gay-marriage/

same sex poll Poll Tracks Dramatic Rise In Support for Gay Marriage

Sharp differences across groups remain, but there have been large advances across the board. In one striking gap, gay marriage is supported by a vast 81 percent of adults younger than 30, compared with just 44 percent of seniors. But that’s up by more than 10 points in both groups just since March 2011, and by more than 20 points in both groups since 2004, the low point for gay marriage support in ABC/Post polls.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004