Supplements

CalvinHobbs

Jan 28, 2005
ok a question, when do you take your protein shakes? i know before training,immediately after training and at night before sleeping. and then the other day do you take or it's only on days that you train?? thanks for any inputs.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
You should be taking protein, carbs, fats etc every day and more so on your off days also when your not training. Your body needs the nutrients for recovery and repair.

Koing

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ is a great forum.

I consume whey everyday in addition to the other foods I eat. In all, I take in about 225 grams of protein per day.

Also, try to get lots of other forms of protein. Whey is great, but eating chicken, beef, fish, cheeses, peanut butter, milk and eggs are great forms of protein, too. (watch the peanut butter, though-- very dense with calories.)

What kind of training routine are you doing, anyways? Give in-depth details. Even if you consume lots of protein you still need a good program (compounds, such as those emphasized in Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book are great for beginners).

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Koing, what is "The Dream" ? I know you had a deadline you were working towards previously in your sig. You're a power lifter, aren't you?

CalvinHobbs

Jan 28, 2005
well i've been doing compounds for a few months now. bench-press,dead-lift, military press, barbell curl, lying triceps extension, squats all 8x3. it's been six months i've been doing these. should i change now? and the protein intake should be same everyday? i'm taking realgains from Universal, that's what we get here plus their multivitamins, called Daily Formula and of course i try to eat chicken and drink lots of milk

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Your routine sounds reasonable in that you are doing compounds. I don't know how far you take it, the intensity, form, the weight on the bar (and how you increase it) and otherwise. Lots of little things factor in to see solid gains.

The one thing about lifting that you'll find is that it isn't as cookie cutter as some people make it out to be. How do YOU find your routine? Are you seeing gains you like? Perhaps you could optimize it more with an extra day in the gym.

How much lean mass have you put on? Have you plateaud so to speak? If you aren't seeing gains then I suggest you switch it up a little. One of the more popular paths is to go from Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength to Madcow 5x5 (a variation on Starr) and then an advanced Madcow and finally a custom program. A lot of people report success with those programs if you check out the forum I linked.

Those BB forums are worth looking at. Plenty of people with far more knowledge than likely can be offered here (Koing and Amused notwithstanding).

CalvinHobbs

Jan 28, 2005
ya checked the forum, thanks for that. gonna go thro it again. i lift weights heavy enough to perform only 8repsx3sets. i have dvd's from muscle and fitness which i think follows weider principle of pyramiding etc. is that any good. well i have seen some gains, i feel stronger. when i started i was around 59kg back in April now i am around 64-65kg(must check again). i could barely bench press 20kg as i was just coming back from illness(chikungunya). now i can bench 54.5kg 5-6reps, that's the max weight i have at home , i cant afford going to a gym. btw how do i know how much lean muscle i have gained, how u calculate this? sorry if my questions sounds stupid :) thanks again for the inputs. another thing i was not taking lots of protein daily. just about two-three spoonfuls per day. lately i have increased to four-five or four scoops as they call it( the spoon that comes in the box, was using great gains from Universal)

CalvinHobbs

Jan 28, 2005
another question, when is the right time to take on off days? between meals or upon waking up and going to bed? thanks a lot guys.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbs
another question, when is the right time to take on off days? between meals or upon waking up and going to bed? thanks a lot guys.
Both if you're training.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
It's usually a good idea to consume a slower digesting protein before bed, especially on workout days. (i.e. casein, found in dairy. Cottage cheese ftw) Whey digests too quickly to last you through the night.

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Flyback
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ is a great forum.

I consume whey everyday in addition to the other foods I eat. In all, I take in about 225 grams of protein per day.

Also, try to get lots of other forms of protein. Whey is great, but eating chicken, beef, fish, cheeses, peanut butter, milk and eggs are great forms of protein, too. (watch the peanut butter, though-- very dense with calories.)

What kind of training routine are you doing, anyways? Give in-depth details. Even if you consume lots of protein you still need a good program (compounds, such as those emphasized in Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book are great for beginners).

:thumbsup:

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Flyback
Koing, what is "The Dream" ? I know you had a deadline you were working towards previously in your sig. You're a power lifter, aren't you?

Weightlifter, not powerlifter :p

It's for a 300Kg Total (140Kg Snatch, 160Kg C&J) and to go get to the 2012 Olympic Games for Great Britain :)

Koing

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
and yea i am only training twice per week. it's not enough? three is better? thanks

Yes train more. From 2 to 3 will be a big difference but you make do with what you can with the number of sessions you do in a week.

If you did 3 days you can split your work out better and spread the exercises around.

Do leg (squats, or deadlifts) exercises first. This will benefit the rest of your training better then doing it the other way around. It will warm your body up better.

Mix up your training every 6-8-12 week cycles. 6months isn't too bad for a beginner. First few months should be lower weights, high rep so you can practice the movements and build a good 'base' to build off. You shouldn't be lifting too heavy as you will wreck yourself and are much more likely to be injured trying to lift heavy.

Koing

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
ok a question, when do you take your protein shakes? i know before training,immediately after training and at night before sleeping. and then the other day do you take or it's only on days that you train?? thanks for any inputs.

Don't waste your time on that wussy whey crap. All you need are some anabolics and beer.

CalvinHobbs

Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: jman19

Don't waste your time on that wussy whey crap. All you need are some anabolics and beer.

:D lol thanks. i'll keep that as the last alternative

CalvinHobbs

Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Koing
and yea i am only training twice per week. it's not enough? three is better? thanks

Yes train more. From 2 to 3 will be a big difference but you make do with what you can with the number of sessions you do in a week.

If you did 3 days you can split your work out better and spread the exercises around.

Do leg (squats, or deadlifts) exercises first. This will benefit the rest of your training better then doing it the other way around. It will warm your body up better.

Mix up your training every 6-8-12 week cycles. 6months isn't too bad for a beginner. First few months should be lower weights, high rep so you can practice the movements and build a good 'base' to build off. You shouldn't be lifting too heavy as you will wreck yourself and are much more likely to be injured trying to lift heavy.

Koing

right now it's monday and thursday/friday, i'm thinking on going to mon-wed-fri , i usually start with benchpress - dead lift - military press - barbell curl - etc....
anyway thanks a lot for the advice and help given so far and good luck for your Olympic thing Koing :)

chr6

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2002
i take protein supplements before exams to increase attentiveness and concentration, and usually right after training