Super'rona in the UK

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm surprised that there isn't a Chinese vaccine yet tbh. They are snoopy buggers and they aren't worried about testing stuff out on people at the earliest opportunity.
Wouldn't creating a vaccine imply that they cared about people getting sick and dying?

Reactions: highland145

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Are you actually saying that it didn't originate in the wuhan lab?

I thought that the theory of the virus being "created" in the Wuhan lab was pretty much discredited at this point?

Wouldn't creating a vaccine imply that they cared about people getting sick and dying?

They care about people dying in the sense that if too many die they might be at risk of somehow losing power... otherwise not so much!
(of course in China "too many" would be a LOT!)

I'm surprised that there isn't a Chinese vaccine yet

Sinopharm vaccine

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Well they locked people up in their own homes to stop it spreading around so I think they definitely don't want it spreading. Whether that's because they don't want a knock to the economy, worry about party members or that they are actually concerned for citizens is besides the point really.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Well they locked people up in their own homes to stop it spreading around so I think they definitely don't want it spreading. Whether that's because they don't want a knock to the economy, worry about party members or that they are actually concerned for citizens is besides the point really.
I've never seen anything that makes me think the Chinese government considers the general population to be anything more than livestock.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Back to the thread topic - without the politics - the new strain has popped up in Denmark, the
Netherlands and one case in Australia. As Welshbloke said in the OP, "Looks like it isn't any more dangerous if you get it it's just that you are more likely to get it." We don't need MORE people getting it. Not when we're so close to vaccinations. Mask up. Stay home. For a little while longer.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
I'm surprised that there isn't a Chinese vaccine yet tbh. They are snoopy buggers and they aren't worried about testing stuff out on people at the earliest opportunity.
Why bother developing their own vaccine when they can just steal someone else's work?

Reactions: pcgeek11

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Why bother developing their own vaccine when they can just steal someone else's work?

Per the link I posted above supposedly there IS a Chinese vaccine.

No comment on how they came up with it since I have no idea.

Reactions: pmv

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If we're willing to sacrifice our own grandmas for the economy, why hold it against China for sacrificing our grandma's for theirs?

"I would gladly sacrifice your grandma for my freedom to eat exotic stuff" - China.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I thought that the theory of the virus being "created" in the Wuhan lab was pretty much discredited at this point?
That was debunked eons ago, but that doesn't stop Trump humpers from claiming "well anything's possible."

There are multiple Chinese candidate vaccines, some are in phase 3 trials. IIRC they have already administered more vaccine doses domestically than the rest of world, combined; although the U.S. campaign is just starting and ramping quickly. There probably aren't many countries willing to buy a Chinese vaccine on the open market, and I haven't read any data on efficacy. It's probably more likely China will give free doses to the poorest countries to burnish its public image.

Reactions: Captante

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I've never seen anything that makes me think the Chinese government considers the general population to be anything more than livestock.
They are just a bit selective about who they consider "proper" citizens.
Be the right ethnicity, support the government in power, don't question your leadership even if they are obviously talking bollocks...

Actually now I put it like that Sandorski is on the button there!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Back to the thread topic - without the politics - the new strain has popped up in Denmark, the
Netherlands and one case in Australia. As Welshbloke said in the OP, "Looks like it isn't any more dangerous if you get it it's just that you are more likely to get it." We don't need MORE people getting it. Not when we're so close to vaccinations. Mask up. Stay home. For a little while longer.

It's definitely not restricted to the UK. It's supposed to very similar to the variant that they found in European minks a while back.

Mask up and be careful. We are so close to fixing this.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Like I said, they are snoopy buggers.

Because, snoopy buggers.

Im assuming that "snoopy buggers" isn't international slang for having a very efficient and very enthusiastic spying culture.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Why would the Chinese create a deadly virus in a lab? You saw what happened in Wuhan and subsequent Chinese New Year? You think they created a deadly virus for jollies? :rolleyes: Wise up, mofo.
It came out of a Wuhan lab, it just wasn't created there.
I think they were studying it in the lab, they harvested it from "the wild," possibly after it was already in the human population.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandorski

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
A lab escape is easier for a lot of people to believe than something that every epidemiologist said would eventually happen again indeed happening again. Every story needs a villain and not a lot of people desire to view the current situation as consequences for our own lack of preparation and action.

Reactions: WelshBloke and Muse

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
A lab escape is easier for a lot of people to believe than something that every epidemiologist said would eventually happen again indeed happening again. Every story needs a villain and not a lot of people desire to view the current situation as consequences for our own lack of preparation and action.

I would say the idea that this came from a wet market is a far easier scape goat due to the barbaric nature of these markets and their brutal impact on threatened species. That falls in line nicely with my personal beliefs and moral code.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Why would the Chinese create a deadly virus in a lab? You saw what happened in Wuhan and subsequent Chinese New Year? You think they created a deadly virus for jollies? :rolleyes: Wise up, mofo.

I think they were studying it in the lab, they harvested it from "the wild," possibly after it was already in the human population.
If I was an evil regime and wanted to fuck over geopolitical rivals, I would release a contagion upon my own people first and then putz around for an entire month! ;)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I would say the idea that this came from a wet market is a far easier scape goat due to the barbaric nature of these markets and their brutal impact on threatened species. That falls in line nicely with my personal beliefs and moral code.
Thing is this was (or something similar) going to happen regardless of wet markets or lab conspiracy theories.
New diseases pop up all the time, we have been overdue for a bad one for ages.
There's pretty much nothing we can do to stop them happening, it's our response when they do happen that's important.

Reactions: sandorski

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If I was an evil regime and wanted to fuck over geopolitical rivals, I would release a contagion upon my own people first and then putz around for an entire month! ;)
And if my entire economy was based on exporting stuff I'd definitely lock up my entire workforce for awhile and shut my ports!

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

The problem with that, and assuming the same percentage of new cases VS require hospital VS require ICU as the older variants, with more cases due to spreading more easily you also get more hospitalized, more ICU and ultimately more deaths.

This is actually a bigger problem than it seems because hospitals are ALREADY nearing extended capacity, and this may well tip it "over the edge", which will exacerbate the deaths even more.

Also, and regarding what happened in some train stations with people trying to get out of London area: i guess British officials didn't "get the memo" from Italy when they tried to do that to Bergamo region, back in March. It didn't work in Italy and it won't work in England either.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i can only speak for the UK here;

the extended capacity means that the local national health service (aptly named NHS) is now diverting a part of its functions to private hospitals. I had a visit just last month and it was done by a private hospital, but paid for by the NHS. (i got a visit tomorrow but right now it looks like it's not cancer)

we're not doing so bad. It's hard to interpret what you see on the news, the NHS is coping well, people are being overworked, but it's not a "refrigeration rooms full of body bags" situation. PPE is plentiful.

People are still dying. For some fucked up reason, the one cultural thing they decided to import from the US is the antivax movement. THANK YOU AMERICA.

The new strain is more efficient, but essentially it's the same. It's expected that the vaccine will work on all strains. This is also not unusual behaviour from a coronavirus.

Things can still go to shit. We probably would not handle well a spike, and there is always the possibility of a runaway effect.

Most of the UK is now under T4 lockdown .. in theory. I went to buy food earlier today and you'd think it was a normal pre-christmas shopping. British people are made of not give a fuck, they will happily queue in a well formed line but are incapable of understanding what is happening around them. I'm starting to think that their legendary resistance during the Blitz was only due to them not actually noticing it was happening.

I want to leave this place.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse